2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Quiet Sports Symposium at Indy Boat, Sport, Travel, show.  anyone go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 2:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having newly relocated to Indianapolis, I was hoping to learn more about outdoor recreation in Indiana and when I heard that "quiet sports" like hiking, paddling, fly fishing, and mountain biking would be represented at the show in their own section, I figured I'd go check them out and maybe I'd learn a little.

I was disappointed.  Most of the clubs had a pretty poor showing.  The mountain bike club had set up a short dirt track for the kids, but the showing from the hiking and paddling groups was pretty weak.  One hiking group had some decent maps of the Tecumseh, Pioneer, and Knobstone Trails, but that was about it.

A paddling club had a schedule of events and another hiking club boasted about having hikes scheduled for every day of the year, but not much information about where these spots are, and few photos of people on any trips.  And nobody in those clubs brought along gear examples for props.

There were a couple outfitters that made a respectable showing.  Somewhat local shops that I wasn't aware existed.  But there were some notable absences from shops I know exist.

I was also annoyed that the Indiana DNR's official presence was limited to the fishing area.  There really wasn't a showing at the quiet sports portion, where I think they would do well to showcase camping, hiking, mountain biking, paddling trails, and the various nature activities that folks interested in "quiet sports" might find helpful.  The Ohio DNR actually had a presence there, surprisingly.

I doubt I'll go back to that event as a guest unless it makes some significant progress getting a better showing from hiking, paddling, and cycling groups, retailers, and service providers.  I may go back to help volunteer with one group or another in the future, though.

--------------
The GPS Geek
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never even heard of it - the "Quiet Sports" section, not the Boat Show. I've never attended such events.

I suspect that one club must be a volksmarch type thing. The Hoosier Hikers Council had to be the one with the maps. There is a "club" based in Bloomington that does a real hike every Sat.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it might have been nice if any of the clubs sold logo merchandise as fundraisers.  I've been to similar sorts of events in other cities where clubs sold t-shirts, at least.  Pittsburgh, PA, has a really good one and the clubs show up looking very professional.

There's an adventure sports event in Dayton, OH that I'd like to attend this year, also.  I'll probably run into some old friends there.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to Indiana, outdoor sports here are more about putting holes in things. ;-)

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 5
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Consider Canoecopia in Madison, WI.
Might be farther that you want to drive (though quite a few paddlers from the Indy/Bloomington make the treak).
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Feb. 25 2013, 3:15 pm)
Consider Canoecopia in Madison, WI.
Might be farther that you want to drive (though quite a few paddlers from the Indy/Bloomington make the treak).
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001

unfortunately, canoecopia will be a no go.  I've been aware of it for awhile, but the job I have now I work most weekends.

Eco, you're forgetting I spent the last 4 1/2 years in Texas.

if anything, however, I've noticed that Indiana has FAR lower training/education requirements than Texas in that regard.

--------------
The GPS Geek
5 replies since Feb. 24 2013, 2:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Quiet Sports Symposium at Indy Boat, Sport, Travel
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions