2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: North Country Trail April 25 - 28< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mjstafford Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 11:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The NCTA's Annual Spring Hike on the North Country Trail will be Thursday April 25 to Sunday April 28.  This year we're looking at hiking both the Rainbow Lakes and Porcupine Lake Wilderness Areas in the Chequamegon National Forest section of the North Country Trail.  Depending on where we start and finish, this hike will be between 28 or 35 miles over the 3.5 days and 3 nights.  If we hike west to east, we would likely start at the NCT trailhead on Hwy A and hike southeast past Hwy 63 and past Lake Owen to the trailhead at Hwy D.

Most of us will backpack this whole section, however, because there are over 8 interim access points, there is great opportunity here for day hiking and mid-hike exits or entrances for those who cannot commit for the entire time.

To check out maps of the area see the link below for the North Country Trail Association.
http://northcountrytrail.org/trail....chapter
You can click on the links for Google Earth maps.

You can sign up here, PM me or sign up at Meetup at:
http://www.meetup.com/CheqPenHikers/

--------------
mjs
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a great time -- I might be able to make it, but I'm not sure right now.  I'll check out the meetup site.  Thanks!
 Post Number: 3
XStrec Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'M IN

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 4
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Follow xstrec at your peril

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have 13 hikers signed up so far.

We start at the trailhead on Hwy A (just jouth of Iron River WI) on Thursday April 25 and hike 12.6 miles southeast to camp at Reynard Lake in the Rainbow Lakes Wilderness.

Friday we hike 10.8 miles to camp at Lake Owen.

Saturday we hike 7.3 miles into the Porcupine Lake Wilderness and camp at Porcupine Lake.

Sunday we hike out to the trailhead at Hwy D.

There are several road crossings that provide good opportunity for hikers joining or exiting mid-hike.  And all of our camps are within a mile of a trailhead.

I wish I had the tech skills to paste in maps, charts and waypoints, etc.  But, anyone who wants better deatils can PM me and I will send the PDF files to you.

There will be a full moon, so let's hope for clear weather.  And I hear the panfishing is good, so I'm hoping for at least one fish dinner.

--------------
mjs
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(thegriz1 @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:20 pm)

Hey, are you going to make it out here for this one, or are you to busy picking up bird poop?

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 7
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(XStrec @ Apr. 01 2013, 12:34 pm)

Hey, are you going to make it out here for this one, or are you to busy picking up bird poop?

Sounds like he's already here: http://www.myfoxpointnow.com/news....01.html
 Post Number: 8
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WisMike @ Apr. 01 2013, 3:28 pm)

(XStrec @ Apr. 01 2013, 12:34 pm)

Sounds like he's already here: http://www.myfoxpointnow.com/news....01.html

I cannot confirm or deny that story. But a cop catching Me ?

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, that fact that he was caught ruled out Griz.  Then theres the "Professional" thing. :p

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 10
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Michael, Griz,

Sorry to miss this. Hope all is well over by you.
 Post Number: 11
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guys I will miss ya but gearing up for the Allegheny 100 as the official rep of the Heritage Chapter (Michael Stafford I promise to be nice, well I will try)

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know how much snow is left up on the trail.  NOAA shows 1 to 2 feet left around Mellen.

Should we bring snowshoes? ???

I don't know if I can carry enough coffee to get through a foot of snow.

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 13
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man up xstrec, should pull you out on the Allegheny 100 challenge

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eric I am missing it also, East Coaster now, Allegheny 100 challenge on the NCT in PA in early june

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm probably unable to make the hike this year, but I am heading up to Tomahawk this weekend.  Will report back on the snow up north, though I know it can vary a lot depending on where you are.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fyi,

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/climate/hydsd.php
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the link Eric.

Some reports show 20+ inches of snow on the ground.  Temperatures are forecasted to stay lower than average over the next ten days.  So, things could be very sloppy and sluggish on the trail and who knows what the trailheads or forest roads will be like.

I have surveyed the hiking group by email and some suggestions are to hike the Ice Age Trail, even as far south as the southern Kettle Moraine.  

We are at 6 hikers now, so if we hike in the Kettles, we can still add a few more backpackers.

Will likely decide by Monday.

Any info, thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

--------------
mjs
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in Forest County, WI this morning, and found myself walking through snow up to my knees (1-2 feet) and kicking myself for not bringing snowshoes.  Checking Eric's link, that is just about in line with what that shows (12-25 inches).  Here in Tomahawk, there is less, but still easily 10 inches in spots as the map shows.  With the lake effect snow they've been getting in NW Wisconsin, I imagine some of the snow depths are even greater there.  As for lakes, they're still mostly frozen.  I imagine this will be changing in the coming weeks, but our lake here is mostly still snow-covered though it looks like there's a small patch of open water opening up.  Forest roads in the Nicolet NF area in NE Wisconsin were in many cases too snow covered to traverse and in other cases quite muddy.  Almost got stuck twice because of deep snow and ice.

Highlights from today were red crossbills and bald eagles at the Brule River Campground in Nelma, WI (no doubt attracted by the river, which was unfrozen but still had ice floating through) on the WI/MI border, a gray jay off Military Rd. in the Nicolet NF.  Evening grosbeaks were heard in Alvin, WI as well.  The deer photo below is from Alvin.  I counted as many as 12 deer here in this group, but I only count 7 in this photo.

IMG_6058 by mikeduchek, on Flickr

IMG_6062 by mikeduchek, on Flickr
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's their "morning" report, new snow

http://mrcc.isws.illinois.edu/cliwatc....S-0.png

This and numerous other handy regional snow data URL's here

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~scottb/ski.html
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Due to extreme snow depths the Annual Spring Hike on the North Country Trail has been changed to a Spring Hike on the Ice Age Trail in the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest.

I am truly sorry that we cannot backpack on the North Country Trail this year, but I still want to get out as long as the weather allows.

I have reserved backpack shelters as follows: Thursday April 25 – shelter #3,  Friday April 26 – shelter #2, and Saturday April 27 – Shelter #1.  This was the only sequence of shelters available.

I am considering beginning the hike at the Parnell Tower parking area off of Hwy U.  Hike 7 miles south to shelter #3.  On Friday we hike 6 miles south to shelter #2 (we can lengthen the hike to cover areas around Crooked and Mauthe Lakes).  On Saturday we hike 7.5 miles south to Shelter #1.  Sunday we hike .5 miles out to Hwy H trailhead.

There are several road crossings that late arrivals and early departures can use.  Please contact me for a map and mileage chart.

Because the shelters need to be reserved and paid for, I will ask that we all chip in to cover the costs (maybe $5 or $10 per person).

--------------
mjs
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...and it looks like Ashland is getting another 10 inches or so of snow, tonight through tomorrow.
 Post Number: 22
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have fun guys!

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here’s the final plan on the Ice Age Trail in the Northern Kettle Moraine.

Thursday, 9:30am, hikers meet at the southern most parking area on Hwy H and Oak Dr.(about 1 mile east of Hwy 45).
               Then drive north to Parnell Tower Parking on Hwy U (just west of hwy A).  We’ll spot Ruth’s car along the way.
               Then hike south to Backpack site #3 (just off of Division Rd south of Hwy F).

Friday, 9am, Ruth and Daniel meet Ed & Mike at the backpack site #3.
               Ruth & Daniel shuttle Ruth’s car to Parking area on Hwy S south of GGG.
               Then all hike south to site #2.  As an option, Ruth & Daniel can meet at the Hwy S parking, leave Ruth’s car and then carpool together to meet Ed & Mike.
               Mike Sch will day hike and meet up with us late at site #2.

Saturday, Ed & Mike & Mike & Dan backpack/hike south to site #1.

Keep in mind that you should have a Wisconsin Park sticker on your car and we should call the make-model-color-license into DNR if you are parking overnight.

--------------
mjs
22 replies since Mar. 12 2013, 11:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply North Country Trail April 25 - 28
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions