2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2012-2013 Annual IR Wolf Moose Report< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 3:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/sites....web.pdf
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting that link.  I hope the wolf population rebounds. Good thing is that there are more females than last year when the doom and groomers figured that the wolves were not going to make it.  Now it seems as if genetics could be the main culprit for the lack of breeding.
 Post Number: 3
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spoke to one of the lead researchers recently about the wolf status. The fact that the moose population is abundant given the decreased number of wolves and no pups were born last year (that they are aware of) is cause for concern. It will be interesting to see if pups are born this year.

Also, I find it interesting the NPS is taking initial steps to examine the issue of adding or reintroduction of wolves to IR.
 Post Number: 4
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's too bad that those that think that predators must be managed to prevent wiping out their prey aren't paying more attention to this.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 5
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013....ar22987
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's nice to know that whoever is going to propose a solution will do so with caution, knowing that human interference could cause the extinction of the wolves rather than  boosting the population.  However, it is interesting to also note that climate change (global warming) is so often cited as the reason for no new wolves finding their way to the island.  However, from what I've read, the ice bridge that everyone talks about was first instrumental in getting wolves to the island in the late 1940s and then one more time in 1997.  I might be missing something, but I can't find a good source that explains any kind of recurring ice bridges that have ceased due to climate change.  It appears to me that some people will blame anything on climate change, even the potential demise of the wolf on Isle Royale.  Regardless of the cause, the fact remains that the wolf population could be at a disastrous point, one that maybe, just maybe, careful human intervention could rectify.  I'm counting on those who know what their doing to find a solution and implement it carefully - bravo for all those who are actively involved in this project - thank you from a nature lover!
 Post Number: 7
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the ice bridge has been unreliable in past years, it is likely to become even more so in the future. It is quite a distance, the less time there is suitable ice, the less likely wolves will make the trip. Simple math.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree.  Unless the warming trend reverses, it's highly unlikely that an ice bridge will form before the wolves disappear off the island.  The choices are (1) let the wolves fade away, (2) human intervention, or (3) build a bridge!
7 replies since Mar. 20 2013, 3:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2012-2013 Annual IR Wolf Moose Report
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions