2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tent Camping - Porcupine Mtn SP, Mirror Lake< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning my summer trip to the Porkies, and since I started planning late, I can't get a cabin at Mirror Lake on the date that I wanted, so I'm thinking that I'll spend that night in my tent.

Has anyone here camped in a tent at Mirror Lake?  What was it like?  Good things/bad things/all things welcome.

I pretty much have to stay at Mirror Lake on this particular night, so I'm not really interested (although I welcome all comments) on other places to camp.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought that the sites across from the cabins were better. There is a scarcity of wood over on the cabin side due to everyone using it for the cabins, so you have to walk quite a ways to find wood. At least it was that way when I go in the fall.
When we were there we had quite a few large groups camping by us which was not too enjoyable as they were extremely noisy and loud. College age kids partying. It always amazes me that everyone always talks about lt wt but then bring tons of beer and booze.
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Apr. 08 2013, 9:11 pm)
I'm planning my summer trip to the Porkies, and since I started planning late, I can't get a cabin at Mirror Lake on the date that I wanted, so I'm thinking that I'll spend that night in my tent.

Has anyone here camped in a tent at Mirror Lake?  What was it like?  Good things/bad things/all things welcome.

I pretty much have to stay at Mirror Lake on this particular night, so I'm not really interested (although I welcome all comments) on other places to camp.

There are 2 main areas to camp at Mirror Lake; one on the south shore near the approach from Lily Pond, and one on the north shore east of the cabins near the North Mirror Lake trail.

I've camped in both areas, though it's been a number of years. The last time I was able to get a prime spot on the south shore right on the shoreline, and I much preferred that to the site I had on the north shore. However, if it's a popular weekend and you don't get there early you'll have to settle for whatever you can get.

I remember it was a little tricky to get water from the lake near my north shore campsite, though on the pdf map (linked below) you can see the sites are spread out a bit and I don't recall which north shore site we were at.

If you're willing to camp elsewhere, there are some spots just a little south on the Little Carp.
http://www.michigandnr.com/publica....nit.pdf

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info -- I don't know if I'll be camping there or not, but if I do, I'll try to get there early and check out all the sites.
 Post Number: 5
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've camped on the south shore of Mirror Lake a couple of times.

The first time we were there first and grabbed a prime spot that had a tent pad and was close to the water and bear pole.

The second time we were last there and grabbed a tiny spot that was just OK, it was the farthest east spot.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The site between Mirror Lake and Lily Pond is nice just not too much flat ground ( they put the fire ring in the only flat piece of ground) and a really steep embankment to get up and down to get to the Little Carp for water
 Post Number: 7
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The bear pole is in a depression and can be flooded out with 2-3 foot of water but than again I only go there march-early May, we hang from the jack pine, you should be fine

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I reserved three cabins and will take the tent in case we want to extend the trip by a night or two.  Thanks for the info.  I have friends staying for two nights in a cabin at Mirror Lake, maybe they'll let us sleep on the floor if it's raining! LOL
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If your friends are staying in Mirror Lake 4 cabin there will be plenty of room on the floor for you. We stayed there last year and it has quite a bit of room.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friends are "drivers" -- they're staying at Speakers for a night then driving to the parking lot at the top of the escarpment and walking down to the Lake of  the Clouds cabin for a few nights, then they're driving to the nearest p-lot to Mirror lake and walking in for another 2 nights.  They have the 2 bunk cabin at Mirror Lake.  The funny thing is that I have the Mirror Lake 2 bunk cabin for one night but it's while they're at Lake of the Clouds, I believe.  Then my next night is at Lake Superior (4 bunk) so it would be too much of a detour to go to LOC to see them "on the way" from ML to LS.  So, I think I'll hike out as planned, and then drive to the closest p-lot to Mirror Lk and walk in to see them.  If all looks good, we'll either pitch a tent for a night or two or stay with them in the little cabin (I know, rules...).
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mirror Lake 2 is pretty small. Haven't been in it but from the looks  of the  outside it's not very big.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I talked to someone the other day who claims they had 4 or 5 people in the Mirror Lk 2 -- we'll see!  I also have a dog -- I know, again, rules, rules, rules....
 Post Number: 13
NCThiker Search for posts by this member.
Bowmen Lake MNF

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 6:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never camped at the North shore sites, but the south was nice enough, a couple of real nice shoreline sites and at least one up above on a slight bluff, which is where we had to settle for, but it was still a nice enough site.
12 replies since Apr. 08 2013, 10:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tent Camping - Porcupine Mtn SP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions