2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wanted: Your insight for Backpacker mag feature, Nominate your favorite view!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sstewart Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 1:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all,

I'm writing a story highlighting the best views in all 50 states for an upcoming issue, and I'd love your input. I need nominations for the best views each of the Midwestern states. Here are a few guidelines:

1. The view must be one you have to hike to (roadside overlooks don't count).
2. The viewpoint should be an exact location, not just a general area.
3. Please include a brief description of how to reach the viewpoint (i.e., which trails to take). If you have a GPS track or UTM point for the viewpoint, include that too!

Do any favorite views come to mind? If so, feel free to email nominations my way as soon as possible--and please share this with any fellow hiker friends who might also want to nominate a favorite view or two for this article!

Thanks for your help!

Sarah Stewart
stewart.sarahlynn@gmail.com
www.sarahlstewart.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The midwest isn't exactly ripe with panoramic views, if that's what you're getting at.

Couple questions:

Can the views be seasonal? (as in, fall colors?)

Can the views be non-panoramic, or not landscape views?  I'm thinking of things like waterfalls, views inside a gorge, etc.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 3
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kansas:  Elk City Trail has a great overlook about one mile from the east trailhead which overlooks the Lake.  It's been a while, but I remember that you go to the east trailhead, start by heading south, then winding around the bluffs before climbing to the overlook.  The approximate coordinate is N 37.27392 W 95.80430.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The view of Chapel Rock at Chapel Beach at Pictured Rocks.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 5
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Little Todd Harbor - Isle Royale NP at sunset...Perfect small private beach looking towards the Canadian shoreline. Coming from Minnesota take the boat to McCargoe Cove and either book it there in a few hours or take you time and camp night 1 at Todd Harbor.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The view from the Escarpment at Porcupine Mountains SP in MI. Lots of great views at Pictured Rocks and on Grand Island, MI.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will try to help out with the entries for Illinois.

For hikers, the best views are probably in the Shawnee region. Jackson Falls viewed in full flow from the creek below its lagoon is beautiful. The trailhead is accessible from the end of Mustang Lane in Eddyville, IL. From the parking area at the end of the gravel road it is a short 1/2 mile walk southwest on FS trail 497 to reach the top of the falls (this trail follows the drainage that feeds the falls). There are climbers trails on each side of the falls that allow access to the bottom. The better choice is probably the north side.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 8
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whatever you do for Oklahoma, make sure it is NOT in the Ouachitas but in the Wichita Mountains. Few places in any of the plains states can equal the awesomeness of this small mountain range. Perhaps the best view in the range is Mount Scott, but since that is a drive-up vista it would be disqualified. There are several great view points in the Charon's Garden area, but most are off-trail scrambles and harder to pinpoint if not having been there. That said, the easiest to point out would be the summit of Granite Mountain:

That said, I think the view from Post Oak Lake and from the divide south of the Crab Eyes are my most favorites:

However, Post Oak Lake is only a short trip off of the road and it would be really hard to pinpoint where the Crab Eyes Vista is.

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jackson Falls is very nice, but the best sunsets in the state are at the Garden of the Gods in the Shawnee National Forest

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Re the Wichitas, that is some crazy scenery. Looks like some fun scrambling.

--------------
a wild occupation,
9 replies since Apr. 26 2013, 1:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wanted: Your insight for Backpacker mag feature
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions