2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Early Isle Royale visitors, Winter Conditions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those going out on the first boat, you will be camping, hiking and paddling in winter conditions.
From IRKPA:

The National Park Service advises that campers and visitors to Isle Royale National Park should be prepared for winter camping conditions on the island for the next few weeks. Most docks are ice bound, and shore access is limited due to slowly melting ice shelves ringing the archipelago. Park Superintendent Phyllis Green says that visitors should monitor satellite photos for up-to-date information on access to bays and harbors. Even snowshoe travel is compromised and strenuous. “Our primary concern is that visitors understand what they are facing if they visit the island in early May. These conditions naturally limit emergency response, so visitors need to be prepared for a true wilderness experience with a focus on self-reliance and safety. There is no potable water at entry points or campgrounds, and no gas or diesel sales are currently open for motorboats. We will monitor marine band radio, but remember there is little to no cell phone coverage on or around the island,” Green continued.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013....ng23160
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, looks like I'm delaying my visit for later this month!

Has there been any word about possible sequestration effects to Isle Royale?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ May 03 2013, 9:54 am)
Ok, looks like I'm delaying my visit for later this month!

Has there been any word about possible sequestration effects to Isle Royale?

Malone and Amygdaloid Ranger Stations will not be staffed.
I am guessing the trail crews will be minimal hence lots of blowdowns on the trail for longer periods of time.

The VII is also operating on a different schedule (same days, no Windigo, McCargoe maybe even Rock Harbor as they are iced in.)    

Before you change your plans, Capt Don will have updated conditions with photos (maybe) after this weekend's trip.
 Post Number: 5
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Years back I was daydreaming about doing a springtime ski traverse of the island and began to focus in on what would be the possible dealbreakers.

I got a staffer on the phone, asst. super I think, who had been on the "early crew" several times and done extensive backcountry skiing there.

His main caution was the ice shelf in Windigo, other harbors. He said it was far from a done deal that there was a safe place to get off the boat, and it typically took most of a day scouting just to figure out how to do that.
 Post Number: 6
NCThiker Search for posts by this member.
Bowmen Lake MNF

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my FB Friends is on the island currently, he posted some pictures and they still have a TON of snow remaining, 3-5ft in places, if I'm not mistaken.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The VII cancelled it's first 2 trips as everything is iced in still.

Eric, I was thinking a traverse of the Island along the Greenstone on either 'shoes or skis pulling a sled, would have been fun.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi John,

Snow traverse of the island? I tend to study maps, dream up routes. Sometimes that leads to great trips -- sometimes it leads to a realization that what I'm looking at is an all out expedition and the "overhead" (set up time, expenses, odds of things not going well) just doesn't make it look like a good bet.

Pictured Rocks shoreline in late winter/spring can bring many of the same benefits, little setup "overhead", offers relatively easy "escape routes" if needed. Tons of solitude. The Miner's road to Beaver Lake Rd. (roughly 20 miles) is a fabulous route. Expandable if things are going well to swing by the east end of Beaver L., ascend to the Overlook on the rim of the basin and back to the end of Beaver L. Rd. Or, if time and energy allow east to the mouth of 7-Mile Cr., then taking the rim of Beaver Basin back to the end of the Beaver L. Rd.

Having that shoreline to yourself for several days can be addictive. :D
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Porkies, South Boundary road, Summit Peak, skiing report from yesterday, with pics.

http://www.skinnyski.com/trails/traildetail.asp?Id=162
8 replies since May 01 2013, 3:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Early Isle Royale visitors, Winter Conditions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions