2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Medora, ND / TRNP, thngs to do in town?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 1:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone!

I think we are finally headed to TRNP next week - the weather looks ok and we have a lot of good hiking and camping planned  :)   I think that part of the trip we have covered.

Although, if anyone's been to Ice Caves off the Maah Daah Hey trail, let me know how you liked it.  We're trying to decide if the drive out there is worth the effort.

Has anyone spent any time in Medora?  If the weather is sketchy on one of our days we may spend a day in town and off the gumbo.  Things to do, places to eat, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Medora's a nice little town, but I don't remember there being enough to do there for a whole day.  If I were you, if I had poor weather I'd drive out and check out some of the other stuff in the area.  A real highlight for us was this:

http://www.nps.gov/fous/index.htm

Kids will like it, and you have the unique opportunity to park in one state and visit a site in another.

We didn't get there, but another place nearby is this http://history.nd.gov/historicsites/buford/index.html

Both of these places are near the North Unit of TRNP and offer some great history.

Another thing I'd recommend while you're at TRNP is to make sure you take a drive at sunset through one of the units.  It can be the best time for wildlife (different wildlife present depending on which unit you're in), and if you do it right, you can get some great shots both of the badlands at sunset and the wildlife.
 Post Number: 3
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the tips  :)   The kidlet just finished up studying this time period in US history this year, so they are nice options!

Sunset is my favorite time to go exploring.  I got some amazing (for me, anyway) geyser shots at sunset the year we went to Yellowstone.

We are putting the trip off a week to see what the weather does - the ranger I spoke to yesterday said it's raining there as much as it is here, and it will take a while for the trails to dry out.  Good thing we're patient folk  :;):

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 1:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I recall, Medora is where Theodore Roosevelt got off the train when he was ranching in that area. The town gets mentioned a lot in his biographies. I don't recall ever being there, but the place is as much connected with T.R. as the park is. It's something to ponder when there, however long.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, note that the northern unit of the park and the aforementioned Fort Union Trading Post NHS, are in Central Time and the southern unit, incl. Painted Canyon, (as well as anything you might visit in Montana) is in mountain time.
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe there is a pretty well respected theatre troop that puts on plays and musicals in the summer.  You might check that out.  Also, a number of historical displays on the Marquis de Mores who was an early cattleman and French aristocrat who, preceeded TR and actually founded the town.  One thing that always kills me about the Badlands and North Dakota in general is their hype on Teddy Roosevelt.  The way they spin it is that he was almost a native son when in reality he spent very little time there and got the hell out the first time he had to endure a rough winter where he lost his and his families entire investment in cattle ranching, if running cows on the open range could really be called ranching.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, there is a lot about TR that is largely hype, including the idea that he himself was actually a rancher in any meaningful sense. And my impression from reading two biographies and a few of his writings is that he himself started or encouraged that hype with his need to be recognised for "manly" pursuits and a "manly" lifestyle. Even his type of conservation left much to be desired. Still, he's an interesting character.

I think places like Medora latch onto his name because without it those places are hard-pressed to find any other claim to fame that serves their tourist industry quite so well.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 01 2013, 6:13 pm)
I think places like Medora latch onto his name because without it those places are hard-pressed to find any other claim to fame that serves their tourist industry quite so well.

I think you nailed that down pretty well.  It is, after all, North Dakota.  And I'm speaking as a native who lived there for a number of years. Best move my paretns ever made was to move eone state to the west.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
7 replies since May 28 2013, 1:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Medora, ND / TRNP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions