2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: is the blackfly hatch on yet?, just curious< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 10:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wondering how the blackfly conditions are around the Great Lakes right now...  I'm not sure we're going to make it out to ND this year.  :(  Had been kicking around the idea to get back to the UP later this summer anyway, and wondering how things are looking right now.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
grousechaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was out Sunday for a little bit.  The little buggars are out but where I was the skeeters were worse.
 Post Number: 3
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to know.  Going up to the UP in early July, really hoping we're going to miss them.  Not an ideal time, but it's the time we had off.
 Post Number: 4
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

re: black flies

Bleve (or anyone else "investigating")  :D

Let us know how it goes

I'm thinking of being in the U.P. mid-July and would appreciate reports.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ended up at Grayson Highlands in VA last week - prime azalea and rhodie viewing, aren't you all jealous haha!

Will be at PRNL in August though, just got our permits.  Putting in at Miner's, staying at Mosquito and Coves and taking out at Twelvemile.  I think we'll miss the buggers by that late in the summer.  Long overdue trip for us, we can't wait!  :cool:

Enjoy the UP y'all

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peeb,

Quickly after leaving the Miner's TH there's a short ascent thru a break in the cliffs up to the Potato Patch camp. As you near the top notice a faint path leading left around the base of a sandstone block. Follow that around the corner (short, like 50 or 100') and there's a fine freefall waterfall (there unless it's been way dry).
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

scribble  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 8
BoraBora Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any black fly updates in the UP?  I'm trying to decide on a destination the week of July 15 and I'm looking at deciding factors.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I were just up at Little Presque Isle Area over by Marquette, MI and the flies and mosquitos were horrible. I couldn't believe that they were even attacking us when it was really windy out. It didn't matter if you had bug spray on or not.
 Post Number: 10
BoraBora Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the update - sounds like I may look further south and save the UP for the fall as per usual.
 Post Number: 11
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just getting around to the computer after 5 days in the U.P. end of last week.  We were horse camping in the Pine Marten Run which is south of Munising in the Hiawatha N.F. and we couldn't complain.  With bug spray on the mosquito's were tolerable, didn't notice any black flies and only mild problems with deer flies.  The worst we had it was the day we canoe'd an 8 mile stretch of the Indian River and deer flies kept biting my feet mostly.  Other than that day / activity we had no complaints.  We were trail riding, mountain biking, canoeing and a little swimming and hiking with the dogs.
10 replies since Jun. 03 2013, 10:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply is the blackfly hatch on yet?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions