2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Marengo River / Porcupine Lake, Marengo River / Porcupine Lake< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OutdoorUnion Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 12:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for some more info on hiking the North Country Trail.  What is the Marengo River/Porcupine Lake section like?  Does most of the trail go through undeveloped land?    Does it see a lot of traffic?   Is there any opportunity to fish along the way?   Any info anyone has would be great.

--------------
www.outdoorunion.weebly.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 6:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you checked out these two websites yet?

http://books.google.com/books?i....f=false

http://www.google.com/url?sa=....ns82llA
 Post Number: 3
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do check out the book by Eric, but see also link for some more info and maps.  Feel free to email martynct@gmail.com as well for more info including shuttle help when needed.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you much.  

Assuming you guys have hiked this section?

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not (have hiked other parts of the NCT in WI), but some on here have and will surely chime in.  But Marty (email provided above) can give you all the info you need.  He's the longtime president of the chapter that maintains that stretch in the national forest.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks  will do.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have hiked it all a great hike, overlooks and nice places to camp

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Giz-

Does a lot of the trail go through National Forest or do you cross a lot of roads, lakes with cabins ect.   How is the fishing along the way?  Is there decent brookie fishing in some of those streams you come across?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Description in Hiking Wisconsin is mine and accurate as I saw the route some years back.

Noticed your Cloud Peak (WY) plans on your website. Been there, and a thought worth passing on.

The last mile or so of the standard ascent route is moderate, low angle, but constant rock hopping on talus (basketball to sofa sized). There's a lichen on the rocks that becomes greasy slick when wet.

We ascended a couloir/gully from Wilderness Basin, descended the standard route (traversing the peak) when rain started. Both my partner and I had sprained ankles within minutes of the rain starting, despite using poles.

Don't let that discourage ya. Just wanted to pass on that the dry rock/wet rock difference/calculations is more than typical there.

Luck with it.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eric-

Thanks for the feedback.   Not sure how about Cloud Peak.   Still a lot of snow.  Not the best time of the year to try and get around out there, however it was the only time we could assemble everyone to go.  It will just leave more time to fish.  

What trailhead did you start from and where did you hike to?  If you don't mind me asking?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marengo Porcupine lake are in the NF, undeveloped except for Beaver Lake NF campground, Porcupine Lake is a wilderness area.

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 12
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I backpacked a section of it a couple/few falls ago, never saw another soul except for the guys at a hunting camp we went out of the way to talk with (detoured up a road 50 yards or so following the sound of their dogs).

It was a good trip, but we had so much rain we ended the trip a day early. We didn't bring fishing gear so I can't speak to that..

There were very occasional road crossings but we never saw a vehicle.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 13
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife, sister and father hiked this section in Sept. ’09 –from Lake 3 to just short of Porcupine Lake. We didn’t make it all the way to Porcupine Lake because a massive beaver pond had obscured the trail and at the time we lacked the route finding skills to get around it. Nonetheless it was a memorable hike. It was bear season so we saw a few people but not many. One night we camped at a lovely site next to East Davis Lake (bog lake –probably poor fishing). It turned out to be less than ¼ mile from a road, but we did not hear a single car. My sister has since been to Porcupine Lake says it is beautiful and insists that we will all go back. A lot of the forest was fairly young. It will be nice to go back some years later to see its progression.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outdoor Union,

re: Marengo. Griz, Ron, Bob are spot on in my experience. It's quiet. Cross occasional road? Yes. See/hear vehicles? Probably not. Now, is it my fav? I think I'd have to lean to the U.P.'s Trap Hills.

re: Cloud Peak. Not quite clear on your trip timing, your website seems to indicate late June and yep, that is earlyish for high country. That said snotels (electronic snow monitors) for the area seem to indicate it is not a big snow year. You may want to post on the Rocky Mt. forum -- Blue Sage lives nearby.

We came in from south of Lake Solitude for the Cloud Pk. trip, think the TH was Battle Park (or something similar). I've done trips out of Park Reservoir (north ish) and also TenSleep in to Misty Moon L. area. I'd skip Misty Moon - tends to be crowded.

West side canyons make a good plan B. Erik Molvar's Falcon hiking guidebook covers the Cloud Peak Wilderness and has extensive coverage of the canyons.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the input.  We might have to try this section of trail next year.   I have been traveling up to that region of the state for 30 years, so I have a vision in my head of what we would more than likely come across, however you never know.  

Eric H-

Sounds like we are doing much of the same route.  Starting at Battle Park TH then up through lake solitude ect.     Much of the trip is going to be spent fishing.   if the snow allows we are going to try and summit cloud peak.  Stay tuned, we will start updating the blog soon if you have any interest in following

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh and see also this: http://northcountrytrail.org/guide/index.php/Main_Page
 Post Number: 17
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have to 2nd Eric on the Trap Hills. For the scenery/solitude one – two punch, they can’t be beat. I think I have mentioned on this forum before that we have started making Norwich Bluff a warm-up hike for all of our western UP and WI trips. We will have to miss out this year before Isle Royale though, since we’re sailing out of Grand Portage.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob, plus one on mellowing out in the Trap Hills.
17 replies since Jun. 04 2013, 12:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Marengo River / Porcupine Lake
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions