2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking Isle Royale, End to End Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Zip_Lock! Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend and I are planning to hike from Windigo to Rock Harbour next year in 2014 in September.  We are fit and have hiked the La Cloche Trail in Killarney in 3.5 days.  As such, we were wondering, roughly, how many days should we budget to hike?

What is the ferry system like from Grand Portage MN?  What types of facilities are available at Rock Harbour?  Do we need special permits as we are not Americans?

Thank you in advance,

M.

--------------
Tape saves lives!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you planning on doing the Greenstone or the Minong Ridge? The Greenstone is easier and more people are on it and the Minong is a little bit tougher, but you will see less people. Do you prefer to crank out the miles or take you time and enjoy the island?  Either way I would plan around 6-7 days.

The ferry on Grand Portage usually runs every day until September 15th this year. Trips to Windigo/Rock Harbor Monday, Wednesday, Saturday; Trips from Rock Harbor/Windigo Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday on the Voyageur II and the Sea Hunter is done towards the end of August one day round trips to Windigo. Here is the site for the ferry service http://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp  

As for the permits I would think it would be the $4/person/day fee. I doubt they have any restrictions.

Should be a fun time

Cheers
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the information.  I was hoping to do the Minong Ridge based on the scenery and it appears that there are more water sources by looking at the map.  I do like to crank out the miles and would want to finish at Rock Harbour.  

Would the VII drop stuff off at the lodge on our behalf?

Thanks again,

M

--------------
Tape saves lives!
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend and I hiked from Windigo to Rock Harbor via a circuitous route in late August 2008, covering 66 miles in 6 days.

Our campsites, in order, were:
Feldtman Lake (very nice, worth the quick trip to Rainbow Cove)
Siskwit Bay (secluded)
South Lake Desor
Todd Harbor
Daisy Farm (via E Chickenbone/Greenstone)
Rock Harbor (via Greenstone/Tobin Cove)

This was a fun route and a great way to tour the island. The only variation I might suggest would be to go from McCargo Cove via W Chickenbone to Lake Richie and Moskey Basin. Try to hike the Greenstone from above Daisy Farm east toward the Tobin Trail. It is very scenic.

Also, if you have time, try to spend an extra night at Lane Cove near Rock Harbor.

Water was never an issue on this route.

Rock Harbor has a lodge with a restaurant that open until Labor Day. It also has showers and a decent camp store.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 5
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Assuming you are crossing the border at the Soo or Pigeon River and you are going through Customs there, you do not need any special permits to hike IR. If you were arriving by private boat from Canada, then you would have to go through Customs at either Rock Harbor or Windigo.
 Post Number: 6
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Zip_Lock! @ Jun. 20 2013, 5:13 pm)

Would the VII drop stuff off at the lodge on our behalf?

Thanks again,

M

You can mail a package to yourself at Rock Harbor which the VII would carry as they are the Postal Carrier for the Island.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for the information.

Here is my current pland going from Rock Harbour to - Windigo:

Day 1. Rock Harbour to Daisy Farm
Day 2. Daisy Farm to McCargoe
Day 3. McCargpe to Todd Harbour
Day 4. Todd Harbour to N. Desore Lake
Day 5. N. Desore Lake to Washington Creek

Any thoughts on this route?  We want to hike the Minong Trail.  My friend and I are in good shape and have done the La Cloche Trail in Killarney Provincial Park
How well marked are the trails on this Island?

Thank you in advance,

M

--------------
Tape saves lives!
 Post Number: 8
dnoll Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zip_Lock,
The trails are very well marked. My wife and I did the Minong starting at McCargoe a few years back and really enjoyed it. Great views of Lake Superior from the ridge. I would take the extra time and spend at least 7 days hiking. Here is a link to some of the pictures we took.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157614478306358/
The staff were really friendly.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Zip_Lock! @ Jul. 19 2013, 9:26 pm)
Thank you all for the information.

Here is my current pland going from Rock Harbour to - Windigo:

Day 1. Rock Harbour to Daisy Farm
Day 2. Daisy Farm to McCargoe
Day 3. McCargpe to Todd Harbour
Day 4. Todd Harbour to N. Desore Lake
Day 5. N. Desore Lake to Washington Creek

Any thoughts on this route?  We want to hike the Minong Trail.  My friend and I are in good shape and have done the La Cloche Trail in Killarney Provincial Park
How well marked are the trails on this Island?

Thank you in advance,

M

In going from RH to Daisy Farm, cross over to the Tobin Trail and then climb the ridge to the Greenstone Trail, following it west to the tower, and then drop into DF. It's a few extra miles, but the views are fantastic.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 10
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

can cut a day off that iffen you want

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 11
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddy and I did nearly the same route. We flew into Rock Harbor and took the water taxi to Hidden Lake Dock. From there we hiked up to the Greenstone and camped in the following sites:
Lane Cove
Daisy Farm
McCargo Cove
Todd Harbor
Little Todd Harbor
N Lake Desor
Washington Creek

It was one of my favorite trips. A trail report with photos can be found in the Trail Head register forum here with a little work I suppose.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 12
Scott in MN Search for posts by this member.
Scott in MN

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Make sure you make you reservations for the Grand Portage ferry as early as possible.  It does fill up.
 Post Number: 13
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My brother and I are starting to plan our next trip together to IR, we haven't been there together since the early 80s, which was my only trip and his last.

So many options!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Staying the first night at Lane Cove out of Rock Harbor is never a bad option. It is a very scenic and relatively secluded spot. It makes a slightly longer trip but is worth it. You can still reach Moskey (10.8 miles), E Chickenbone (10.9) pretty easily, or even Lake Ritchie (12.7) or McCove (13) on day 2

Daisy Farm can be like 42nd and Broadway.

--------------
a wild occupation,
13 replies since Jun. 19 2013, 7:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking Isle Royale
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions