2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wisconsin Trip, Paddling on the St. Croix River< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 4:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On July 4 Ms Dolly and I will be traveling to Wisconsin for a few days of paddling on the St. Croix River.  Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as water levels and bugs.  I know you’ll had plenty of rain recently.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 5:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They haven't had as much rain as we, but the bugs of all varieties are out of this world. A bumper crop of ticks from last year's drought (they like hot and dry, as do fleas), everything that flies from all this wet. It's insanely humid too. On the upside, with all these weather systems coming through, the air is moving. Most days are breezy enough.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 3
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the Namekagon River before it dumps into the St. Croix.  You can canoe down from Hayward, if you like.  But, my family usually started from Trego below the dam.  Great canoeing on a smaller river, and then the St. Croix.  Both rivers have canoe campsites.  I would say that by July ticks will be quite a bit less.  Mosquitoes could be a different story, though.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 4
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/riverlevels.htm

"Heavy rainfall in recent days is causing the St. Croix and Namekagon Rivers to rise rapidly. Additional predicted rainfall this weekend may extend or increase these unusually high river levels. Please check river gauges before going out onto the rivers."
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info!

The current the advisory states:
Floatable - High, fast and cold water due to recent rainfall - Class II rapids exist at Kettle River confluence

Hope the water will go down before we arrive.  We are looking for a relaxing paddle and plenty of camp time to relax.  

Another question what is the hiking like in the area.  We may want to day a little day hiking as we will not have our backpacks with us.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 6
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roger,

For a dayhike, you may want to check out the Park Service's trails along the Riverway, which I suspect would all be well maintained: here

The North Country National Scenic Trail is also somewhat nearby, running through Douglas and Bayfield Cos.  For some basic info, check out this link

Otherwise you could check out the Wisconsin DNR page and see if there's a state forest with a trail nearby that would appeal to you.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for pointing me in the right directions.

This trip is one of Ms. Dolly's bucket list adventures.  She wants to hike or paddle in all 50 states.  Wisconsin is one of the few left on the list.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm seeing comments on facebook of people not being able to enjoy water features at Ammicon and in Copper Falls area due to speed and depth of water. We had a near drowning at little bitty Pewits Nest. Be careful.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the comment.  

Since we have made flight reservations we are considering a hiking trip if it does not look like we will have a good time on the water.   Paddling in flooded rivers is not my idea of fun!

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's just to say those bits are an issue. The Baraboo is running faster than usual, but it has been too low. It's doable. I see people on the Wisconsin every day without incident.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the high water it looks like the paddle will be faster than we planned.  

That will give us some time for a day hike of two.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 2:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw a large group on the Baraboo today. Everyone made it through the rapids, no dumps... even the way too big canoe I had doubts about, and they hit them all wrong. Went in almost sideways, but managed to bring it around.
No one is holding water back, all the dams are wide open, and it looks like we're going to get a break from the rain, for whatever the forecast is worth. I think it's looking up for you.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Namekagon as stated above better. You'll love it.
12 replies since Jun. 24 2013, 4:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wisconsin Trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions