2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 3-4 days / southern Missouri ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
greenfeet Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 12:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning a hike in September. Are there any 3-4 day hikes that anyone can recommend around southern Missouri?

A 20-30 mile loop would be ideal but not essential.

Might just fall back on the eagle rock loop. But I've been so many times, a new place would be great.

Thanks in advance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey!! I'll ask my hubby, LonesomeGeorge. Maybe he can help. He's done lots of hiking around there and grew up iin S.Mo.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." John Muir 1898
 Post Number: 3
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have maps and info of 4 trails on my site at http://www.ouachitamaps.com/index.html.  In addition look at the Ozark Trail (not a loop but you can find shuttles)

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the Ozark Trail Association web site and its trip planner.
www.ozarktrail.com

There are shuttle services available from volunteers covering most parts of the trail.

The Taum Sauk section is one of the most popular. This covers 33 miles (crossing one paved road) from Bell Mtn TH to Taum Sauk TH and runs by Johnson Shut-ins (great swimming), the scour site of the great resevoir collapse, and Taum Sauk Falls. This section could be combined with the Middle Fork section (25 miles) just north of the Bell Mtn TH (would use about 10 miles of Trace Creek section) to create a 70 mile trip that would not involve a long shuttle ride (< 1 hour).

The Current River section is another gem on this long trail.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I concur with Hungry Jack.  He helped me decide on the TS trail section of the Ozark Trail.  Great timing to go in September.  Definitely have one night on the Black River.
 Post Number: 6
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, Taum Sauk is the highest point in Missouri if you're a peak bagger.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
LocalTreks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You may want to check out the Irish Wilderness, or if you're up to diverting a bit into Illinois, looking at the River To River trail...

Irish Wilderness - http://1.usa.gov/Skg3sY (original link was WAAAYYY to long, so I bit.ly'd it...)

R2R - http://www.theshawneenationalforest.com/home....r-trail

I have a little blog on some of the other areas around SE Missouri and Southern Illinois if you're interested, but they are mostly day hikes, at http://www.localtrekshiking.com.

Hope it helps,
Shannon :D
6 replies since Jul. 08 2013, 12:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 3-4 days / southern Missouri ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions