2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Copper Falls State Park (WI), Backpacking Site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 7:24 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking about reserving the backpacking site for a couple nights this summer.  

Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with this site?  

I've camped at the hike-in sites before, but those aren't backpacking sites since your car is about 100 yards from the site!  This one is supposed to be 2 miles from the parking lot.

I was wondering what the site itself is like and any other info that anyone has.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we stayed there a couple years ago on our NCT Heritage Chapter spring hike and went over there in May and cleaned it up.  It's a real nice site by the river.  If I recall, it has a fire ring.  Reservation required.  We are continuing to work on extending the trail north and east beyond the backpack site.  The hunter's map shows some of the new route but it isn't finished.
 Post Number: 3
XStrec Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its nice without snow.  Right on the river.  At the end of a deep green canyon.

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 4
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice spot. We went there for an overnight with my dad  as a warm-up for a Porkies trip a few years ago. It would be a great site to introduce children to Backpacking --a very easy walk and there is a privy up near the trail.

The night we stayed there we had wolves nearby.

I could see how periodic clean-ups might be necessary because it is so easy to get to.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you see the wolves or hear them?

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good site for a night or two.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, note that the NCT is part of the Doughboys Trail and dogs are not allowed by the trails around the falls http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/rules/pets.html
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Mike, but I've been to Copper Falls SP before and was made aware of the anti-dog rules -- in fact, that was one of my concerns so I'm glad you brought it up.  Apparently, pets are allowed at the backpacking site , so how am I supposed to get there?  I'll have to study the maps to see.  I do remember the girl at the ranger station telling me that I couldn't hike through the SP on the NCT because of the section that doesn't allow dogs.  She actually told me that if I was simply hiking through, and came to the "no dogs" area, I'd have to turn around and go back.  When I asked her how I'd get back to the NCT she said that wasn't her problem!  

I don't understand "no dogs" rules, but then again, it's not up to me to make the rules, just follow them, I guess.

I can camp in the campgrounds at CFSP, and hike on most of the trails with my dog, but god help me if I go too far north!

Does anyone know the origin of the "no dogs" rule in that particular section/area of the SP?  Just curious as to why the rest of the park seems to be dog-friendly, but that one area is off-limits.

Also, is there a trail around that area for through-hikers?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Jul. 11 2013, 8:55 pm)
Did you see the wolves or hear them?

We heard them but they were close...less than 30 yards from camp. We saw tracks the next morning.

Also..I will consult my sister about the origin of the "no dogs rule". CFSP is one of her regular haunts.
 Post Number: 9
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quick question. At places like the backpack site, do they have poles or lockers or anything to keep food away from bears, or do you just have to tree hang it?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we were there, there was no locker or pole. We used a canister. At Copper Falls, when bears frequent the park, they often trap and relocate them.
 Post Number: 11
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not exactly sure how you get a dog back to the Backpacking Campsite without using at least a little bit of the Doughboys Trail. There is a road that is for accessibility for disabled people, perhaps you could go down that, then after crossing the bridge over the Tyler Forks River you could take the ski trail to connect with the NCT which goes back to the backpacking site.

I do have a photo gallery of the Waterfall doughboys trail posted on my hiking website at http://sites.google.com/site/isawtman/

I will post my video of the Backpacking campsite on Youtube, and post here when it's up.

Also, the Heritage Chapter of the North Country Trail is building 5 miles of new trail beyond the Backpacking campsite.  A list of work weekends are available here
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/htg/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've posted it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3oJj8pZ_k
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you read the above link, you will see that the no dogs policy is a systemwide rule for designated "nature trails" in Wisconsin state parks and forests and is by no means limited to Copper Falls SP.  It's not about going too far north or the park not being dog-friendly, as it's a systemwide rule.  As Todd said, I'm not sure if there is a way to get to the site without bringing a dog illegally onto the Doughboys Trail.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(isawtman @ Jul. 14 2013, 11:30 pm)

Nice video, great site. Thanks!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WisMike @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:54 am)
If you read the above link, you will see that the no dogs policy is a systemwide rule for designated "nature trails" in Wisconsin state parks and forests and is by no means limited to Copper Falls SP.  It's not about going too far north or the park not being dog-friendly, as it's a systemwide rule.  As Todd said, I'm not sure if there is a way to get to the site without bringing a dog illegally onto the Doughboys Trail.

Yes, I see what you mean, but Copper Falls is one of the two that are singled out in the rule.

Pets are not allowed....

"Marked nature trails, including the trails around the waterfalls at Copper Falls and Paradise Springs at Kettle Moraine State Forest—Southern Unit."
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Heritage Chapter of the
North Country Trail is building 5 miles of new Trail north of the
Backpacking Campsite that we've  been talking about.
Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the July and August
work weekends, but I attended May and June and am
planning on doing Sept, Oct and Nov.

The work weekends are posted here
http://northcountrytrail.org/htg/

The Following is an email from Mike Stafford
the President of the Heritage Chapter of the North Country Trail

To all North Country Trail Enthusiasts,

Just a reminder that the third work weekend of 2013 is coming up on July 20 &21.  And this is an important event because this is the time of year we need to get caught up on both maintenance and trail construction.

We have several volunteers signed on for this event, but we can use as many as we can get.  So if you haven’t signed up yet, please contact me or sign up at the Meetup site (hyperlink below).  

Event Focus:  This event will have two crews in separate focus areas.  One crew will continue building trail tread on the new 1.5 mile east-west section within Copper Falls State Park.  A second crew will maintain existing trail sections in the Wren Falls, Upson Lake and Uller sections.

Where To Stay: We have free camping available for Friday and Saturday nights at the overflow site #2 in Copper Falls State Park (Hwy 169, just north of Mellen).  Remember that you need a WI state parker sticker on your vehicle to stay in the park.

Where And When To Meet:  Meet at 8 am Saturday at the entrance station to Copper Falls State Park on Hwy 169 for tools and carpools.  On Sunday we will meet as determined by our progress on Saturday.

What To Bring:  Please be sure to bring your own water, trail lunch & snacks, (and if you have them, bring your own eyewear, and work gloves – the chapter has a limited supply).

Saturday Pizza Dinner:  Work with us on Saturday and then join us for a chapter sponsored pizza dinner at Snow Creek in Mellen.

How To Sign Up:  I encourage you to sign up at our Chequamegon-Penoke Hikers Meetup site at http://www.meetup.com/CheqPenHikers/ .  Here you can see all of our events and you can join discussions about things like carpooling, etc.

As always please feel free to email or call me directly with any questions.

See you on the trail.

Michael Stafford, President Heritage Chapter NCTA

414-403-4575

Note From Todd:  They could really use the help because they need to have the trail ready for the Roving Crew to build
bridges in a few months.  So, we really need to bump up the number of volunteers
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did get an email from Ben Bergey the superintendent for Copper Falls State Park

He writes
"We do have an alternate route…….dogs are welcome at the Backpack site.  Thank you for your interest."

So, yes, you can take your dog back to the backpacking site
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know the alternate route, or can you give me the email address so I can ask?

Thanks.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally don't know the alternative route.
I would call them.  The phone number is on
the map you posted
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok I'll do that. Thanks again.
19 replies since Jul. 11 2013, 7:24 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Copper Falls State Park (WI)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions