2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Economic impacts of mining on the UP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 5:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good article on the economic impacts of the proposed mines on the UP.
http://www.miningjournal.net/page....av=5001
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how many locals see mining as a boon to their economy and don't look at the potential long-term effects?  It's an interesting report that is mentioned in the article, and I suggest that everyone read (scan) the report, not just read the article.
 Post Number: 3
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A large part of the problem is that the "locals" that support the mine aren't so local. They're in the next county over, close enough to drive to work, far enough to have little negative impact from the mine. Or so they think.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 4
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in the midwest and so many people were talking about working on the alaskan pipeline -- no concern whatsoever about the pipeline or it's impact on the environment or the local economy, just concern about getting there, making money, and coming back home when the jobs dried up.
 Post Number: 5
grousechaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Star, I'm interested to hear more info re:  "locals."  One thing I've been reading a lot is that many opposed to any new mine(s) seem to be from out of the area.  Same for the wolf hunt.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ashland County is against mining, Iron County for.
The people testifying in favor of the mine are mainly from Hurley, Montreal, and Milwaukee. Testifying against, Ashland, Upson, Mellen, La Pointe, Stevens Point and Madison... and of course the Tribes. I have the lists of attendees from the hearings somewhere. I don't think it appropriate to post in a public forum, but it is part of the record of the hearings. I went with a group from the Baraboo/Dells/Reedsburg area. We have reason to believe we're up next.
Attention to the the wolf hunt went national. I didn't follow that as closely, because frankly it seemed inevitable. I am against it, as I don't see any value in for sport/trophy hunting. I've asked if anyone had a good recipe for wolf. So far one has not been provided to me. Although I have seen the video of the guy eating the wolf's heart, that really isn't my cup of tea.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 7
grousechaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  Agreed, no need to post any names.  I was curious about local opposition.  I am just across the border in Michigan and we are looking at a copper mine "across the street" so to speak from the Porkies very near/on Lake Superior.  Stop the Whining, Start the Mining and Our Time Our Mine signs appear throughout the area.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The signs are free. G-Tac is also paying for placement of signs in high traffic places. So it looks like they are supporters, in fact they're simply getting paid, and generally have no opinion of the mine.
Your mine is a monster too. They're going to long wall it, like coal, a method that has never been used for copper. They claim it leaves the surface intact. It doesn't. They also state they don't "intend" to mine under the lakebed.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the number long wall mining does on the home and, more relevantly to this mine, the stream, in this video.

http://youtu.be/4Q5WjJQj97M

Part one of the video explains the process more fully, this is part two.

--------------
8 replies since Jul. 26 2013, 5:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Economic impacts of mining on the UP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions