2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sleeping Bear Dunes, Need a bear bag?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kwilliams Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 12:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning to backpack in Sleeping Bear Dunes and have a quick question for those familiar with the area.  Is there a need to hang my food bag at night?  Pretty new to backpacking, so I wasn't sure if that was overkill or if it was something I should do regardless of the location.

thanks for your help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
gimp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kwilliams @ Aug. 14 2013, 12:44 pm)
Is there a need to hang my food bag at night?  Pretty new to backpacking, so I wasn't sure if that was overkill or if it was something I should do regardless of the location.

Yes you should hang your food at night.  As a minimum you will have Racoons to worry about.  Even a mouse is capable of chewing into your food supply and that can ruin a trip.  Try to hang your food between two tree rather than one tree.  If you haven't ever done this before, make it a point to get your line strung up before it starts getting dark.

I didn't realize Sleeping Bear Dunes had any place to backpack but after looking at the website I can see that they have a couple of pack in campsite areas.  It would surprise me if the park didn't have food bag poles in those campgsite areas.
 Post Number: 3
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even if you do hang your bag in some locations, mice can get in. Had that 2 nights in a row in the Smokies.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
gimp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Aug. 14 2013, 9:42 pm)
Even if you do hang your bag in some locations, mice can get in. Had that 2 nights in a row in the Smokies.

Personal experience(s) from the Smokies are why I always mention mice when it comes to protecting your food.  I was once on day 1 of a trip, my food was hung well out between two trees on parachute cord, and in the morning I discovered holes chewed through everything.   A very large bag of gorp had every single peanut removed.  It must have taken multiple trips running across that thin line.  It left the M&M's and raisins.  Having your food supply taken or contaminated by a mouse puts a damper on a great experience.  Bears never once got anything off of me.  The Smokies have the boldest mice I've ever run across.
 Post Number: 5
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, peanuts are the bomb for them. I think they just stay in the bag and feast rather than making multiple trips. If it had been just me, I'd have taken either my Outsack or my "mouse guard" (a metal disc that gets hung above the bag that they should fall off of) but this was a Scout outing so too much food. I have a feeling they run up the bag cable itself since the horizontal cables have similar discs at each end.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 5:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hanging food is always a great source of entertainment.....but will do in a pinch....if you're passing through SW Michigan to get there, you're welcome to use my bear canister.

The hanging of the food starts at about 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzasMe44eAk

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 7
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't plan on hanging, at minimum, don't bring the food in your tent.
6 replies since Aug. 14 2013, 12:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sleeping Bear Dunes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions