2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sturgeon River Gorge, Michigan UP, Anyone been there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 1:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I plan to do some hiking/backpacking in the area Oct 6-12. I have some pretty good info & maps on Trap Hills, which I plan to visit for the first time.

I also have the map & info of the Sturgeon River Gorge Wilderness the Forest Service sends out for free. I see the trail heading down to the falls on the river, and I'm thinking about heading there for an overnighter. Can anyone provide me with info on campsites and routes of exploration down there?

Any special spots in the Gorge or in that general area of the UP would be appreciated. I've been to the Porkies & Pictured Rocks, so I'm looking for some places I haven't been.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sturgeon Gorge has a short trail, otherwise off-trail (to my knowledge) Rumors of a few old growth stands back in the woods.

Trap Hills is two thumbs up (I'm opinionated, have spent a lot of time there), well worth exploring. You'll find many clues, pictures, maps on the NCT chapter website.

One sleeper, Point Abbye. Car camping but an incredible spot, typically all to yourself after a few day trippers go home. Memory has it Cty. land at the tip, camping.

An incredible veranda here. A rock shelf a few feet above the water wraps all the way around the point, offering memorable views east to the Huron Mts., islands of the Huron NWR.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the heads-up on Point Abbaye, sounds like a great spot!

I found a lot of Trap Hills info in the Peter Wolf Chapter of the NCT Association.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That URL's description of the Point Abbaye road as a "sandy two-track" is a head scratcher. My memory is that only at the very end, past the parking area, is that description apt. Rest of the road may not be highway but it is reasonable.

One footnote. I'd want reasonably good visibility to go out there.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Sep. 19 2013, 5:10 pm)
That URL's description of the Point Abbaye road as a "sandy two-track" is a head scratcher. My memory is that only at the very end, past the parking area, is that description apt. Rest of the road may not be highway but it is reasonable.

Glad to hear that, as my low-slung Honda Fit doesn't do well on unreasonable roads  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One other thought, and mind this is near the tip of the Keweenaw, good hour and a half+ drive past L'Anse.

That is Bare Bluff, a panoramic clifftop vista, 500' above the L. Superior shore. Picture Sugar Loaf, the well known lookout just west of Marquette (constructed steps and all) but on a wild Keweenaw shoreline and you've got Bare Bluff.

Mind, there was an active logging landing on private property just west of the start of the short trail that ascends the bluff when I saw in 03 or so -- but I'd be there in a heartbeat if nearby.

Again, I wouldn't motor out there unless I was seeing good visibility likely -- it's the long sightlines that are the rock star here -- and if it was not crystal visibility I'd opt for forest/waterfall scenes.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned from the trip. Among other hikes, did 3 short dayhikes in Sturgeon River Gorge Wilderness:

Bears Den Trail
Easy 1/4 mile to a nice view of the gorge.

Sturgeon Falls
300' descent into (& ascent out of) the gorge is fairly easy on switchback trail. Excellent waterfall with spots for viewing on the side near the base; further downstream; and at the top on a rock right in the middle of it. A couple spots for camping close to the falls, but too thick for bushwhacking off trail.

Silver Mountain
Very good views and a nice hike. Did the loop clockwise starting at the trail off the parking lot that winds around the cliff face, which you can follw more closely off trail at the base for awhile before the designated trail climbs to a false summit (with views) then switches back to reach the top (more views) where the fire tower once stood. Descend via the stairs.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting, will look forward to the rest of your t.r.
7 replies since Sep. 18 2013, 1:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sturgeon River Gorge, Michigan UP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions