2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The wolves of Isle Royale National Park, Email opinions with the three options< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
steelhead Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Rolf Peterson email:

The wolves of Isle Royale National Park  

The National Park Service is interested to receive your input on the pending decision regarding the future management of wolves on Isle Royale.  Please send your input to the following email address:

ISRO_Wildlife@nps.gov (note the “underscore” between ISRO and Wildlife)

The Park Service is considering three options:  (1) do nothing, even if wolves go extinct;  (2) allow wolves to go extinct (if that is what they do), and then introduce a new wolf population; or (3) conserve Isle Royale wolves with an action known as genetic rescue by bringing some wolves to the island to mitigate inbreeding.

While expressing your view, consider providing as much detail on the reasons for your preference, as the Park Service believes the reasons for your view are as important as your view.  If you have any questions on the process or anything relating to providing input, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thank you for considering the future of this national park!

Rolf Peterson  

Michigan Technological University

ropeters@mtu.edu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the information, I sent an email.
 Post Number: 3
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got in the mail a mailing about proposed changes to ISRO's cultural resources management plan.  If you want to comment or learn more, go to:

This link
 Post Number: 4
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 4:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WisMike @ Nov. 08 2013, 7:41 am)
Got in the mail a mailing about proposed changes to ISRO's cultural resources management plan.  If you want to comment or learn more, go to:

This link

They are adding Wolf issue meeting to the above:

Just announced: In conjunction with the upcoming Isle Royale NP Cultural Resource Management Plan meetings, the NPS will have informational meetings about wolf management from 3-5 pm on the same dates in the same cities: Houghton (12th) and Chelsea (14th) in MI, and St. Paul (19th) and Duluth (20th) in MN. The cultural resources meetings are 6-8 pm.

The public meeting schedule is as follows:

Public Meeting 1: Houghton, Michigan
Date: November 12, 2013
Time: 3-5pm (Presentation at 3:30 followed by open house)

Public Meeting 2: Chelsea, Michigan
Date: November 14, 2013

Public Meeting 3: St. Paul, Minnesota
Date: November 19, 2013

Public Meeting 4: Duluth, Minnesota
Date: November 20, 2013
Location: Environmental Protection Agency Mid-Continent Ecology Division Laboratory, 6201 Congdon Boulevard

Questions on the meetings can be directed to:
Paul Brown: Chief of Natural Resources
Isle Royale National Park
800 East Lakeshore Drive
Houghton, Michigan 49931-1895
paul_brown@nps.gov
 Post Number: 5
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is not my stomping ground but when I read the options, is there any reason why number 3 is the way to go?

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Correction

This is not my stomping ground but when I read the options, is there any reason why number 3 is NOT the way to go?

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some believe that the best course of action is to let Mother Nature take her course even if that means extinction of the wolves on Isle Royale.

We can only assume that humans can do better than Mother Nature.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my opinion, the problem with that perspective is that we are not starting at a natural baseline.  We have already messed with the ecosystem so extinction may not be the natural course; it is the man-made course.  So option 3 may be more like, we broke it, now we have to fix it.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't disagree with you, but I might go a bit further and say in that case we should let the population die out and reintroduce new genetic lines.  The problem, as I see it, is humans can make a mess of this much more quickly than they can make it better.  Re-introduction of an extinct species is tricky business.  Maybe the island needs to be wolf-free until Mother Nature can figure out a way to get them back out there - if that's what's supposed to happen.

Whatever decision is made, it'll be based on many factors, most of which I am not even close to being able to understand.  I'm going to leave it in the hands of those who are supposed to know better and hope for the best.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Article about the first meeting in Houghton.
http://www.mininggazette.com/page....av=5006
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deleted
 Post Number: 12
IncaRoads Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Updated information for the St. Paul meeting:
Public Meeting 3: St. Paul, Minnesota
Date: November 19, 2013
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good background info here:
http://www.nps.gov/isro....ent.htm
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ChasWill @ Nov. 11 2013, 10:24 am)
This is not my stomping ground but when I read the options, is there any reason why number 3 is the way to go?

Well I think the presumption is the current gene pool has been damaged through too much inbreeding. All that damage would be eliminated were they to wait for those lines to die out and then introduce fresh, fully healthy genetic lines.

Introducing new wolves while the old lines are still there would perpetuate the damaged genes….
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 15 2013, 4:36 pm)

(ChasWill @ Nov. 11 2013, 10:24 am)

Well I think the presumption is the current gene pool has been damaged through too much inbreeding. All that damage would be eliminated were they to wait for those lines to die out and then introduce fresh, fully healthy genetic lines.

Introducing new wolves while the old lines are still there would perpetuate the damaged genes….

HSF et all,
I was at the meeting last night. The NPS biologist said the abnormality is carried in the mainland wolves also. I agree with you, though the wolf that came out in '96 across the ice bridge brought some illness with him that has been passed on to the IR population.
 Post Number: 16
IncaRoads Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the NPS website, the St. Paul meetings today are in two different locations:

Wolf Management Meeting is 3-5pm at 111 Kellogg Blvd. E., 2nd floor conference room.
Cultural Resorce Management Plan is 6-8pm at the Minnesota History Center.
 Post Number: 17
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let nature run its course. We cannot improve on that.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was not aware of the abnormalities.  I would have to concur that letting them die out might be a better solution.,

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
17 replies since Sep. 23 2013, 5:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The wolves of Isle Royale National Park
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions