2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where can I hike, Witht he feds shutting down NP's & NF's< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerJoe2 Search for posts by this member.
HikerJoe2

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to hike in the Red Rivere Gorge this weekend but the anal forest service (who say they can't work) are working to baricade the SF roads and trailhead paarking lots.  Anyone know where I can hike this weekend that is not effected by the shutdown?

--------------
HikerJoe2
Plymouth, IN
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kmf1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to have to stick to state parks. Porcupine mountain in michigan, I'm heading there next weekend.

But, if no one is working how can they stop you from going in? I've been pondering this for a few weeks leading up to the shutdown.
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

National Forests cannot be closed unless they also have some other designation* attached. Some possible road access maybe but I don't see why they would.
I grew up in SW Va and there are countless places in that entire region to BP and/or hike that aren't restricted.

*Ah. It's also a National Natural Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
hikerJoe2 Search for posts by this member.
HikerJoe2

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, it seems they can't work to collect permit fees, but they can work to FINE you if you backcountry camp in the gorge!  Imagine that.

--------------
HikerJoe2
Plymouth, IN
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerJoe2 @ Oct. 03 2013, 8:42 pm)
...  Anyone know where I can hike this weekend that is not effected by the shutdown?

Not in your area (was in Indy for awhile) but it's the first thing that popped up in the Google:

Southern IN forests still open but not other facilities (theindychannel.com - Indiana news)

enjoy...

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
mjstafford Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While it looks like the fee areas of forests can be closed and gated, its probably not practical for the Forest Service to patrol the forest itself for hunters, fishers and hikers.  Also, its not clear that the forest can be closed to the public in this manner anyway.

Here is a link to Paul Smith of the Milwaukee Journal regarding this very issue.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports....01.html

I would not be afraid to hike or backpack in the National Forests.

--------------
mjs
 Post Number: 7
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in the McCormick Tract Wilderness, Ottawa NF in the U.P.  Monday, Tues. and Wed. nights. No gates, no "closed" postings. Only bummer is I came home to find out I slept through a major northern lights episode.

http://www.yourdailyglobe.com/story....46.html
 Post Number: 8
kmf1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eric, how is the color up there. Sorry for the high jack.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maples peaking to tad past peak, others lagging. It's the Highlands, highest, coolest part of the U.P. Iron Mt. was much greener than up on the Peshekee.
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The national forest lands in my area are not closed, period.

National forest facilities such as offices, picnic grounds, and camp grounds are closed, but the land itself is open. It's not just a matter of "what you can get away with." There is no closure order. The national forest land itself is not closed.

I checked a few national-forest trailheads and all were open in my area. However, as widely reported, national parks are closed. In the national parks I checked, that includes trailheads, trails, backcountry, developed facilities, and so on. But that is national parks, not national forests.

And parks, such as Wind Cave National Park, have the Emergency Closure Order posted at the entrance sign. First, a few photos, then the closure order in text. There is no similar order posted at any national forest entrances in my area.

National Park Entrance:

Wind Cave National Park "Emergency Closure Order" in Text:
    NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
    Wind Cave National Park
    26611 US Hwy 385
    Hot Springs, South Dakota 57747

IN REPLY REFER TO:

October: 1, 2013
    EMERGENCY CLOSURE ORDER

Pursuant to the authority described in Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations § 1.5 (a) (1), the following areas within Wind Cave National Park will closed as a result of a lapse in appropriations and suspension of operations.

Closure Areas

Roads:
    • Rankin Road from Highway 87 to Rankin Lookout Trailhead
    • Entrance roads (North and South Access) to Park Headquarters and all administrative roads are closed.

Headquarters Area:
    • The park visitor center and all administrative areas are closed.

Hiking Trails:
    • All park hiking trails are closed.

Backcountry Areas:
    • All backcountry areas (off trail or off road areas) are closed to hiking or camping.

Elk Mountain Campground:
    • Closed to all camping (all campers in the campground at the time this closure goes into effect must vacate the Campground by 11:59 pm, October 2nd, 2013.

Notification:
    • All closed areas will marked (barricades, signs, flagging, etc.) Park phone
    recordings, website, TIS system, and roadside info stations are in place.

Thank you for your patience during this period.

Vidal Davila
    Park Superintendent
    10/1/2013
    Date
Difference between USDA and USDOI:

Notice the difference in messages posted at the Department of Agriculture website for the national forests (USDA) and the Department of Interior (USDOI) for the national parks. The USDA mentions no closure of public lands that it administers. The closing of offices and facilities does not imply the closing of multiple-use lands themselves. The USDOI specifically mentions the closure of public lands that it administers, but they are not specifically multiple-use.

Department of Agriculture website: Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the U.S. Forest Service, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services. However, we will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience. For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit USDA’s website.

Department of Interior website:Due to the lapse in appropriated funds, all public lands managed by the Interior Department (National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Bureau of Land Management facilities, etc.) will be closed. For more information, FAQs, and updates, please visit . . . .

Forest Trailhead or Parking Space:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis, I thought you were busy shoveling, or snowshoeing.  :D  Didn't you get 40" over by you?
 Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Oct. 07 2013, 8:57 am)
Travis, I thought you were busy shoveling, or snowshoeing.  :D  Didn't you get 40" over by you?

Not quite that much at my house, but even more than that in some locations. I know that I myself got a foot of snow, and the rough maps indicated as much as 30 inches total, but the amount varied widely even in small areas.

However many locations around me got between 2 to 4 feet. NWS record posted was 48" in Deadwood. But as soon as the storm ended, the stuff started melting fast at my house. Not so fast in other locations.

The photos I posted above were taken the day before the storm began. And with the amount of wind in my area, most of the snow remaining is in drifts separated by patches of much shallower snow, not deep enough to snowshoe in.

Out in the Thunder Basin National Grassland, there are drifts between 3 and 5 feet or more deep all over the place -- even three days after the storm. Every dip in the landscape has deep drifts. And the drifts appear to be hanging on against the sunshine. So this could be the beginning of a winter snowpack at higher elevations.

I'll be out Wednesday and hope to check those elevations out, and I'll make sure to toss my snowshoes in the pickup with me. There could well be some good snowshoeing to be had. If so, this will be the earliest in the year I've ever snowshoed.

Oh, but about the shoveling part, yeah I got my share. But no complaints from me. I relished almost  every minute of it. Gotta love the snow. :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Oct. 03 2013, 10:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where can I hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions