2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pretty Quiet Around Here, Where is everyone?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 7:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in Florida but also have a place in Wisconsin, so I keep track of what's going on in the midwest.  Haven't seen much activity in this section for a while.

How's the weather been?  I might be up there after Thanksgiving and hope to see some snow and cold weather.  Looking forward to some cold weather hiking around the Madison area.

Just wanted to check in!

Mike

PS -- whatever happened to the "new" site or whatever that was supposed to go live in September?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The weather has been below normal temps for this time of year and pretty windy. We were out at Gov. Dodge SP last weekend and did around 9 miles. It was really windy on the ridges but once you got in the trees it wasn't too bad and by late afternoon it was rather warm hiking and I had to strip off a layer or two.
 Post Number: 3
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been cool but warmed up the last couple of days and is currently raining buckets. South Central IN will end up with a couple of inches and a good bit of wind damage. It’s archery season here so we have had to stick to the main trails in the state forest behind the house and have been working too much but otherwise have been enjoying the nice fall weather. We are still feeling the effects of last year’s drought and the colors are pretty subdued this year.

My wife and I are heading to NH the end of next week with a couple of friends to climb Mt. Washington. We’re hoping for cold and not too much ice although a little ice would be preferable to the 41 degrees and 70 mph wind driven rain they are getting on the “Rockpile” tonight.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was planning a trip to Wisconsin for October but the entire month slipped by!  Will be there (hopefully) after Thanksgiving, looking forward to some cool/cold weather hiking.  I dream about parking my car at the Black Hawk Unit near Sauk City and hiking up to the top, pausing along the way to take photos through the trees...
 Post Number: 5
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quiet here? Yep, it is. An "in between" time for many of us, and avoiding possible conflicts with hunters. That's not a grump. I had an enjoyable walk in to White Deer L. ( in the McCormick Tract) in the company of two grouse hunters a month ago.

Some snow northwest WI/U.P. tonight, forecasts look like next week may actually turn to average temps in the north, lasting snow may just settle in.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would love to hike into WDL in the snow.
 Post Number: 7
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, that'd be pretty. Keep in mind that the gun deer season there starts Nov. 15.
 Post Number: 8
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 6:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Nov. 02 2013, 8:04 am)
Was planning a trip to Wisconsin for October but the entire month slipped by!  Will be there (hopefully) after Thanksgiving, looking forward to some cool/cold weather hiking.  I dream about parking my car at the Black Hawk Unit near Sauk City and hiking up to the top, pausing along the way to take photos through the trees...

You might like to run over to Festge Park (did I spell that correctly? It's been a while). There's a good overlook of Black Earth Creek to the other side. When we were kids we'd go every Fall to pick hickory nuts. It's allowed, they just ask that you don't take more than you can use.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like fun, haven't been there in many years.
 Post Number: 10
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not hiking much this fall because I am watching my alma mater (Northwestern) lose in excruciating ways.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
9 replies since Oct. 31 2013, 7:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pretty Quiet Around Here
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions