2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cougar in Illinois< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2013, 4:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well this cougar wasn't too far from where I live when it was found and shot. Looks like we will have to be more aware of large predators here in the Midwest other than bears in Wisconsin. This summer we were up at Kickapoo Valley Reserve in WI and warned to be looking out for a cougar that had been seen numerous times in the area.

http://wqad.com/2013/11/21/cougar-shot-on-farm-near-morrison-illinois/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MDC

More around than what's on this list. We seen one but wasn't able to get any pic.s
 Post Number: 3
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just seems a matter of time before we see breeding populations in the Midwest again. Several locals I have talked with who live in the Shawnee region in southern IL say that cougars have been around for decades, just not officially.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a hasty decision to shoot the cat. Perhaps the reasoning is more like human fear than mountain-lion threat. The real problem is described below:
    "The DNR says cougars, also known as mountain lions, are not protected by Illinois Wildlife Code."
Too bad they are not protected from hasty decisions like that one. Around here, the deer are a bigger problem than the cougars and we have plenty of the big cats. The more deer they eat, the better.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This cougar was hanging around farms. There was a lady on the news last night that said this cougar or another was hanging around the woods by her horse farm a lot. She lived close to the horse farm where it was shot at. This one according to the new didn't seem to be too afraid of people either.
 Post Number: 6
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I e-mailed the DNR about why they chose to shoot it.
Have not heard back.
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 24 2013, 5:50 am)
This cougar was hanging around farms. There was a lady on the news last night that said this cougar or another was hanging around the woods by her horse farm a lot. She lived close to the horse farm where it was shot at. This one according to the new didn't seem to be too afraid of people either.

This cougar or another? Well, which one? And just how afraid of people is the cougar supposed to be? All that is so unspecific that what you are really saying is that some Illinois people are afraid of cougars. All the cougar has to do is be seen and it becomes automatically "too close" and "not afraid enough."

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, and others, have seen them around the Dells for years. We had one that was interacting with people a lot, they trapped and shot it, and kept it on the down low. I only heard about it because a coworker's dad was with the DNR, long after the fact, and after I had reported my sighting. Knowing they might shoot first and ask questions later, I'll not report one again!
I've always thought we've had some small population the whole time. I remember sightings back when I was a kid, and that wasn't last week. My mom said they had one down by Verona when she was little. It got a number of calves in the area before the menfolk put on a good toot and went hunting. There was some hullabaloo because Grandpa wouldn't let them on the property. If they ever got it, I don't know.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It'll be very interesting to see if breeding populations occur. So far it seems to be lone dispersers, perhaps some local pups?

Our wolves also had lone dispersers but the biologists were pretty spot on in believing they had the parameters they thought would be required for the wolves to settle in, raise pups. Memory has it as pretty much 4 sq. miles, undisturbed. Den, rendezvous point would be near the center of that.

So, Wisconsin's central forest, sand counties, filled in with wolf packs. That "wave" is more or less 15 years old and appears to have filled out available corners of the central forest -- and now appears to have stopped. I've often wondered if they would go for a spot along the Lower Wisconsin, perhaps Woodman/Millville State Wildlife Area, or similar. To my knowledge that hasn't happened (a pair settling in).
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I asked the local DNR person if they had a cougar contigency plan in place and was told the DNR had begun work on a plan recently.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

John,

Hope you caught the Trib editorial on this

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78331882/

RS posted it at TH Register.

Enjoy the holiday. Lake is ripping here, five foot breakers incandescent white. Kids sledding the bluff, 4 surfers getting good rides at Big Bay today.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Nov. 27 2013, 3:59 pm)
John,

Hope you caught the Trib editorial on this

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78331882/

RS posted it at TH Register.

Enjoy the holiday. Lake is ripping here, five foot breakers incandescent white. Kids sledding the bluff, 4 surfers getting good rides at Big Bay today.

Eric, I did see it. I also asked about a tranquilizer gun, have  not gotten a response.

I had heard of Gale warnings on the lakes, glad I am on land!!

Did you hear TNC bought most of St Marten Island?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool about St. Martin I.

Check this pic (aerial), seems to be pointing south with Rock I. beyond and then tip of Washington I.

http://www.jsonline.com/multime....81.html

Text, map here

http://www.jsonline.com/news....11.html
12 replies since Nov. 22 2013, 4:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cougar in Illinois
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions