2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: North Central Minnesota porch< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Emrys Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

in summery: I need to convert my porch into four season porch in a manner that is really cheep, totally temporary, and reusable.

My wife, 6 month old daughter , and I are living in a small Northern Minnesota town while we are finishing up our undergrad degrees.  We have a really nice three season porch but it is entirely three season.  It faces the lake so the view is really great but at the price of a winter of cold winds filled with snow.  I have been trying to figure out a good method for fixing this so I can grind my morning coffee, brew it in my press, and drink it during the next two winters.

What I knew is that I wanted to find a way to make the porch suitable for winter without ruining its ability as a summer porch, however i was stuck with a few parameters. I wanted something that would be able to cover up each screen section in order to block out the snow and hold back some of the wind so it had to be fairly thick; I wanted to still be able to see the lake and maybe even sky through it so it had to be clear; because I have a young daughter and im in school I needed it to be cheap; we are living in the upstairs of my father-in-law's house so it needs to leave no trace.  On top of all of this we will be there for two more winters so I need it to last me a while.  I tried to fit all of this into a google search but to no avail.  I tried simplifying all of this in my searches but nothing was coming up that quite worked. I thought maybe youtube could help me out, still nothing.  I was more than a little desperate when I thought who would know the perfect temporary solution to a permanently convertible 4 season porch in Minnesota, then it hit me so I came here.

So what Im getting at is can anyone help me out?

--------------
Why wait until tomorrow to do something you can do the day after tomorrow?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check this page out,
 Post Number: 3
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of floor (T&G fir, decking w 1/4" spaces)?
Is there a heat source (vent or baseboard heat)

Could you use plexiglass over the screen?
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"summery" pun intended?

Glass storm windows would be a good start, but that is likely a custom job and could be pricey. Sashes made of aluminum should be cheaper than wood. I wonder if you could suitable used storm windows on CL or eBay. etc,:

http://www.ebay.com/itm....4968490

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/used-storm-windows

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you have a ReStore? Excellent resource for budget home projects or disposing of the remnants of your own projects. They'll take anything usable for any sort of building or remodeling projects, even bits of paint. I got a marvelous garden tub there for $95 and a toilet for $25.

http://www.restore-sca.org/

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 6
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't visited here in quite some time so you've hopefully long solved this, but to just keep out the wind and snow as seems to be your requirement, the window film insulation (eg, polycryo) kits are exactly for this. Far cheaper than any kind of storm window and your porch likely isn't even close to a standard window size anyway. The only issue I see since you provided no pictures is having suitable attachment points. Worst case you need to wrap the film around some small pieces of wood and tack up with small nails.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
5 replies since Dec. 02 2013, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply North Central Minnesota porch
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions