2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone going to McCormick in mid-August?, The more the merrier!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 7:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend and I are planning to head to McCormick for a few days in mid-August (dates not yet set) and was wondering if anyone else is planning to be there about the same time?

I would like to hike in from the west entrance to WDL, camp a night and then hike to the east side of WDL to Lake Margaret for a night, then around BDL and back to the south end of WDL.  This is a rough sketch of what we'd like to do.  I posted a proposed route on this site a year or two ago but never got a chance to try it out.

This summer is going to be my McCormick or bust summer!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Won't be there at that time but wanted to forward a few thoughts.

I've done the east side of White Deer and Bulldog lakes and it works -- going before or right at leaf out (Mem. Day), when the woods are more "open", eases the way.

West side of Bulldog gets wet at the creek/marsh leading west from Bulldog.

I haven't done that crossing. Two guys I met last September mentioned it getting knee deep.

If IsleRoyaleGirl shows up here, I'm thinking she might know of that stretch
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for your thoughts, Eric but I have little choice on timing -- August it's going to be, come hell or high water, as they say!

You might remember that I started to the east of WDL a while ago and turned around, now I want to finish it -- hate unfinished business!

Here's a map of the trip I planned before but never took. I'd like to do something like this in August.  The only difference from what I described above is here the route goes quite a ways north and west of the lakes, I did this to avoid the marshy area near BDL, but I heard that there are other marshy areas on my route, so 6 of one dozen of the other, I guess.

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Luck with it. This map from Thomas Foye's McCormick site leaves me thinking the marshiness extends all the way to Island L. -- but again I have not groundtruthed that, just seen the BDL opening of that marshy creek from an inflatable.

http://www.mccormicktract.com/WDmainmap4.gif
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That map is one that I used to decide the route in my map, someone told me that crossing the marshy area is going to be difficult!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it would be great to have a group of people on this trip -- like 6-8 in all.

I'd like to hear from anyone if they're interested, everyone's welcome especially those with experience in the McCormick tract.
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get hold of Micheal Neiger, I forget what his screen name is on here, he's been there several times and knows quite a bit.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been in touch with Michael in the past, thanks.  He is a wealth of information.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two or three nights in the McCormick Wilderness would be a blast -- as my subtitle says, the more the merrier!
 Post Number: 10
Equipaje Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've circumnavigated WDL and BDL in the fall.  It always seems to be raining at that time, so I've dealt with my share of wet terrain, but it is doable.  We didn't quite follow you route, but we did a close approximation.  On the west side of BDL, we dropped a bit south of your leg three and followed the creek from BDL to Island Lake (IL).  From there, we bushwacked southwest to the lake southwest of IL (can't read it on my monitor) and then headed south to WDL again.  Great trip!  Not too wet, but definitely a map and compass operation..it gets thick.  If you have Bentley and McCormick's map, you'll start to see their trails.  Last November, I carried in my canoe to WDL.  That was a great way to tour WDL and BDL.  A lot of work, but well worth it!

Your leg four is new territory to me.  Eric H. or Michael N. would be my references for this.  We've skied to Little Baraga, but I haven't spent any time on the west side of the lakes.  

You seem to be passionate about this area.  I've spent a fair amount of time in this area and would be interested in joining you for a trip.  August likely won't work, but I'll get in touch to see if another time might work.

I hope that your trip works out.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2014, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim --- thanks for the input on my trip, I'd be open for going again at another time of year, let me know.  I live in FL so I have to make advance plans to get up there.
 Post Number: 12
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are planning a 3 day trip on Grand Island with my younger sister around the weekend of 8/23. Looking for a nice overnight somewhere before heading back south but McCormick is a little far west for this trip. It's on our list though.

Broke my ankle and tore a ligament on the ice in early February and I'm finally getting back into the woods. Planning an couple backcountry nights out next weekend.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend backed out so I'm down to ONE plus my dog Alfred!
 Post Number: 14
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 2:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Indianabob @ Apr. 27 2014, 7:41 pm)
We are planning a 3 day trip on Grand Island with my younger sister around the weekend of 8/23. Looking for a nice overnight somewhere before heading back south but McCormick is a little far west for this trip. It's on our list though.

Broke my ankle and tore a ligament on the ice in early February and I'm finally getting back into the woods. Planning an couple backcountry nights out next weekend.

Are you talking somewhere in the UP to overnight or farther south in the lower peninsula?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob, maybe the shorelines s. of Gould City, #46, 47 in U.P. book?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Eric. We've been intrigued by that stretch of Lake Michigan shoreline ever since heading up to Pictured Rocks via the lower peninsula a few years back (we usually head to the UP via my sister's in Wausau, WI). We are going to give it a shot. We'll probably stay at the township park campground so we can easily do both hikes in a limited amount of time.

BTW, first trip out after the broken ankle was a success. Soloed the first night and was joined by friends including a 5 year-old grandson on his 2nd backcountry trip. Beautiful weather and plenty of wildlife.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2014, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob,

Only caution I'd offer is that I haven't been there in a good 8 years. Think of it though and it was one plan B that I had a couple of weeks back if the Pix Rox snow didn't work out. I've spent a half dozen nights on that shore and great memories. Twp. park is very fundamental, "camping" is a small field a little inland last I saw. If not at the twp. "camping" area do know that MI DNR has this "undesignated" reg, designed for deer camps, where you are supposed to have this cardboard registration form with you. Locals at the tavern in Gould City were pretty helpful when I stopped in.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2014, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many thanks Eric.

We were mainly thinking of the township park because it was centrally located and we could see more in a limited amount of time. We will certainly play it be ear.

WiscoHiker: sorry brother...didn't mean to hijack your thread. Here's wishing you a fabulous trip.
17 replies since Mar. 27 2014, 7:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone going to McCormick in mid-August?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions