2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need info, Day hikes near Ely< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
slackjaw Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 8:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Ely MN. next summer and I'd like any suggestions on day hikes in the area. Looking for hikes from 3-10 miles long. We have a cabin (no electric or running water) on a lake but the owners aren't hikers and they haven't given me any ideas. They love fishing! The wife and I usually backpack out west on our vacations, but they offered us this cabin and said they heard there are good trails around the area. They are going to try and get us some info this year while they are there. I've always wanted to see the Northern Forrest's of Mn. and the U.P. of Michigan, witch we are going to after we leave Ely. I have a good friend that is familiar with the U.P. and he's full of suggestions for us, but we are open to locals advice also. Thanks. Happy Trails, Slackjaw.

--------------
spread out
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well there are lots of trails up that way. First you have the Superior Hiking Trail which runs from Duluth all the way up to the Canadian border. You could do some of the segments of that. There is a shuttle service for it. Then you have the Border Route Trail, The Kekekabic Trail, Lima Mountain trail, Caribou Rock Trail, Magnetic Rock Trail, Bryce Breon Trail, Centennial Trail, Eagle Mountain trail.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Qc. Are these by Ely or the U.P.? I appreciate your help. I will check these trails out on the web. Thanks again, FJP

--------------
spread out
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well some are over by Ely and the rest are in the North Shore area (North of Duluth to Canadian border). U.P is Michigan. If you are looking for some trails over there I can give you a bunch.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day hikes on the u.p. would be appreciated. I do have some ins on that though. Sorry It took me this long to reply but I was in the Shawnee N.F. This past week. Lots of rain meant cool waterfalls! Thanks again and Happy Trails, FJP

--------------
spread out
 Post Number: 6
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally would do an out and back on some of the
Snowbank Lake Trail.  It's about 21 miles long, so you
would not be able to cover it all in one day.  Snowbank
Lake is a motorboating lake, so you could have your friends drop you off in their motorboat, then hike back to the trailhead.

Here's some links

https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5193821.pdf

http://www.kek.org/Trail.html

http://www.biglakelodge.com/ely-mn-hiking-trails.html

http://www.fenskelakecabins.com/guided-day-trips/hiking.html

Tman
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
5 replies since Mar. 31 2014, 8:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need info
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions