2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: U.P., Up North snowpack, snowpack still sizable< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2014, 4:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Munising 28", Grand Marais 37"

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product....dby=MQT

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~scottb/ski.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see on the SHT trail condition report they had snow depths of 24-47 inches. Looks like it will take a bit longer this year for the snow to be gone. I was there last year Memorial Day and there was still snow in some places. Going the same time this year and expect even more snow unless they get a huge heat wave.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2014, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was hoping to get up to Pictured Rocks for some ski camping next Friday -- looking at the long range there may be a warmup moving in then, non freezing nights.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp1.html

Plan B for me would be the Michigamme Highlands (perhaps McCormick) where the night time lows are typically 5 degrees cooler than near the shore (Munising). We'll see.
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2014, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does this mean a sustained increase in Great Lakes water levels?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HJ, not sure so I scanned and found the piece below. I do think it means a blip of colder water this spring, ice floating around Munising harbor at Mem. Day, and probably past that. I suspect the long term evaporative trends will continue tho.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140121092741.htm
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw a long range forecast for the Midwest and we are supposed to be above average for rain this Summer including MI.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More snow forcast for MN and Northern WI. 8-12 inches predicted for Wednesday. Mother Nature sure likes to mess with us.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a lot of Northern WI got dumped on with a lot of snow. I see though that the North Shore got spared though, which is good for me for doing the SHT in May and for ice out on the BWCA.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some pretty warm air moved into parts of the U.P. yesterday (Marquette 60's), my hoped for ski trip punted to next weekend when forecasts show good night time freezes.

Snowpack holding tho  :D    This morning's NOAA MQT report shows   Munising at 20", Mohawk (past Calumet, Keweenaw) at 28".  Mohawk's 28" reminding me of wanting to ski the summit of Mount Lookout

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-baldy-mt-lookout/492133

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....dby=MQT
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see the 7 day forecast has more snow for you. And it's in MAY.
 Post Number: 11
steelhead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 22 2014, 8:47 am)

We (Gaylord area) get snow in May.  Last year on Mother's Day (May 12) we had close to five inches throughout the day.

Gaylord is in the northern lower penninsula.

In the U.P., especially the Keewenaw, has the potential for LOTS of snow!!! :).  Smile, It's Northern Michigan (especially the U.P.) ....
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See Ken Wikgren's report from the tip of the Keweenaw below. For report, with photos, go  http://www.skinnyski.com/trails/reports.asp
Then, scroll all the way down to the Houghton area reports, U.P. section.

MTU still grooming, see    http://www.michigantechrecreation.com/trails/conditions/index

pr 21 - Lac La Belle area backcountry (Lac La Belle):
Conditions: 30F at 7:00AM, 43F at 2:00PM. Awesome crust skiing conditions. Rocket fast in the morning and sweet and soft in the afternoon sun.
I skate skied out my back door, along the shore of Lac La Belle, through the marshes, across Bete Grise, out to Point Isabelle and back. When I got home, I put on the Fischer crowns and skied back out there with my neighbors on an encore epic tour.
Photos:  
(Ken Wikgren)
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(steelhead @ Apr. 23 2014, 9:04 am)

We (Gaylord area) get snow in May.  Last year on Mother's Day (May 12) we had close to five inches throughout the day.

In the U.P., especially the Keewenaw, has the potential for LOTS of snow!!! :).  Smile, It's Northern Michigan (especially the U.P.) ....

YUP! I know where Gaylord is in MI. My wife and I spend a lot of time up in MI. backpacking and canoeing. In fact will be up there again this year over in the Marquette area and over at Craig Lake SP.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YUP! I know where Gaylord is in MI.  My wife and I spend a lot of time up in MI backpacking and canoeing. In fact will be up there again this year over in the Marquette area and over at Craig Lake SP.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 23 2014, 1:51 pm)

YUP! I know where Gaylord is in MI.  My wife and I spend a lot of time up in MI backpacking and canoeing. In fact will be up there again this year over in the Marquette area and over at Craig Lake SP.

My favorite area(s) in the U.P. are in the Keewenaw Peninsula, especially since it's the route we go to Copper Harbor and subsequently to Isle Royale.  Another favorite for me is  the Two Hearted River area (North of Newberry and primarily for Steelhead fishing).  

Speaking of the Two Hearted River and Steelhead fishing, I was planning on fishing May 7-9.  I have a funny feeling that 1) the river will be way too high and 2) the snow will still be too high although we usually snowshoe in and  fish once or twice in the winter (since the river is relatively low in the winter, we just hit the big, slow holes and usually do well enough to let a few go and keep one for a fresh Steelhead dinner!).

I certainly love the Craig Lake State Park area.  I had an ex-girlfriend whose family live in L'Anse.  Pt. Abye (sp?) is absolutely stunning!

Sorry, a little off topic.  When I write about beautiful Michigan places, I can't stop! :)

steelie
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eric H wrote and I quote:

" Awesome crust skiing conditions. Rocket fast in the morning and sweet and soft in the afternoon sun".

Yep, perfect conditions for skiing, snowshoeing, etc.!  It's that time of year when it all comes together!

steelie
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was talking with some exhibitors up at the Midwest Spring Expo who were from Lutsen, MN and they were still skiing too up there as they just got another 12 inches the other day.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Motored north early Sat., packed for backcountry skiing, camping. Got to Beaver L. Rd. (Pix Rox), and didn't like the unstable mid layer (like applesauce under the crust) of the snow pack -- went to plan B, groomed nordic skiing at Valley Spur -- and had a great time. Gotta love spring skiing on 2 feet of silky corn snow, gurgling creek, sandhill cranes, pileated woodpeckers, kingfishers at the open water on the pond.

Falling Rock Cafe (Munising) had good live music, dancing Sat. nite
--
Craig Lake -- We planned to stay 2 nights on our first visit, ended up staying 7.

Point Abbaye mesmerizing.
 Post Number: 19
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2014, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that brewpub in Grand Marais any good?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2014, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ May 18 2014, 4:08 pm)

It's been a couple of years but it's not bad.

Edit: LSBC Reviews: http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/ReviewWC.cfm/flat/BrewerID=1679

Just don't play "Edmund Fitzgerald" on the jukebox, lol!

steelie
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a good 10 years since I've been in Grand Marais,  so I defer to others on that.
 Post Number: 22
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ May 18 2014, 4:08 pm)

I can't speak for the brewpub but the Pie Place Cafe on the main drag is magnificent.
21 replies since Apr. 10 2014, 4:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply U.P., Up North snowpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions