2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Icebreaking on L. Superior< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 1:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out pic (within article) of ice breaking convoy near Whitefish Pt. Sheet ice near 40"

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article....check=1

+
http://www.haywardwi.com/news....f4.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ice is hanging in there. See this overview, historical data

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014....62.html
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was aboard CGC Red Birch when the Chesapeake froze in 1995-1996.  Driving an ice breaker is one the coolest things I've ever done (all puns intended).

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 18 2014, 11:27 am)
I was aboard CGC Red Birch when the Chesapeake froze in 1995-1996.  Driving an ice breaker is one the coolest things I've ever done (all puns intended).

I am jealous.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely a lot of ice up there. Have they revised their opening date of Isle Royale?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 18 2014, 3:15 pm)
Definitely a lot of ice up there. Have they revised their opening date of Isle Royale?

The Ranger III is still in Sturgeon Bay, even if it was in Houghton, the Portage Waterway is frozen. There is a lot of ice between the Keweenaw and IR and they would not be able to get to Rock Harbor or Windigo. The USCG is supposed to break ice soon, not sure when. I think the IR folks are saying Mid May before the IR folks can get out there. Normally they are there by Mid April.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eleven vessels in one convoy! What a winter.
The St. Clair, the CSL Tadoussac, the Walter J. McCarthy Jr., the Stewart J. Cort, the American Spirit, the USCGC Mackinaw, the Presque Isle, the Edwin H. Gott, the Edgar B. Speer, the Sam Laud, and the Algoma Discovery left Duluth and Two Harbors MN to convoy downbound to the Soo Locks.
(Information from the Detroit District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Apr. 18 2014, 3:26 pm)

I am jealous.

Red Birch was a 157' inland Buoy Tender, but we could break ice up to I think eight inches thick.  The Chesapeake is almost never going to freeze that thick and the stuff we were breaking was probably around three.  As helmsman, it was the easiest course I ever steered as the ice prevented you from drifting so it was very easy to keep going straight.  Below is my beloved Red Birch on a warmer day with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to our stern.  I was on the buoy deck when this shot was taken.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 18 2014, 4:26 pm)

(johnhens @ Apr. 18 2014, 3:26 pm)

I am jealous.

Red Birch was a 157' inland Buoy Tender, but we could break ice up to I think eight inches thick.  The Chesapeake is almost never going to freeze that thick and the stuff we were breaking was probably around three.  As helmsman, it was the easiest course I ever steered as the ice prevented you from drifting so it was very easy to keep going straight.  Below is my beloved Red Birch on a warmer day with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to our stern.  I was on the buoy deck when this shot was taken.

Nice!!!!
I have heard rumors the Alder,stationed at Duluth, is not performing as expected. The azipods don't work that well.
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 18 2014, 5:14 pm)
Eleven vessels in one convoy! What a winter.
The St. Clair, the CSL Tadoussac, the Walter J. McCarthy Jr., the Stewart J. Cort, the American Spirit, the USCGC Mackinaw, the Presque Isle, the Edwin H. Gott, the Edgar B. Speer, the Sam Laud, and the Algoma Discovery left Duluth and Two Harbors MN to convoy downbound to the Soo Locks.
(Information from the Detroit District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)

Cool photo!. A convey of ships going thru the ice is not something you see everyday
9 replies since Apr. 14 2014, 1:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Icebreaking on L. Superior
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions