2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Consider Time of Year, For best hiking out west< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2011, 9:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Jan. 28 2011, 2:10 pm)
re: June. It is often primo for Great Basin mountain ranges. I've posted on this in the past and a search should kick it up. Typically the snowpack becomes reasonable, hikeable, Mem. Day or early June.

Do the Ruby Mts. qualify as "Great Basin" ?

Every time I've driven past, even into Sept, I can still see snow, but that Range is an itch I've wanted to scratch for over 30 yrs. Too many places left to visit !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2011, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello SWT,

Ruby Mts. are definitely of the Great Basin, but quite untypical. Far NE in NV, probably the wettest, most "Rocky Mt." like in the Great Basin. And also, considerably more hikers than the typical Nevada solitude (fair amount of SLC folks).

I haven't been there. Just had too much fun in the Snake Range, Deep Creeks. Having a whole crest to yourself for several days grows on you. And, I'm a big fan of bristlecone groves.

One super reference for the Great Basin, its mountain ranges, is Stephen Trimble's "Sagebrush Ocean".

Alternatively, John Hart's "Hiking the Great Basin" is outstanding, covering routes in SE Oregon, NV. W. UT, E. CA. My copy is dated 1981, and yep a few changes, roads etc.. That said, Hart has led me to many magical places.
 Post Number: 33
squints Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2011, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just sitting down today starting to put my plans in place for the summer. Everything I want to do has a short time frame for doing it other then hiking some of the Oregon Coast Trail. Timberline Trail I have to wait for snow pack to go down. Same for the Sawtooths. Also want to do a 5 nighter in Yellowstone. Other random hikes in the Frank church area. Yes it can all be done but I wish I didn't need to do it all in 3 months.
 Post Number: 34
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2011, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(squints @ Jan. 31 2011, 11:18 am)
I was just sitting down today starting to put my plans in place for the summer. Everything I want to do has a short time frame for doing it other then hiking some of the Oregon Coast Trail. Timberline Trail I have to wait for snow pack to go down. Same for the Sawtooths. Also want to do a 5 nighter in Yellowstone. Other random hikes in the Frank church area. Yes it can all be done but I wish I didn't need to do it all in 3 months.

Yeah, unfortunately, 3 months (July, August, September) is about all you are guaranteed in mountain areas.  If you are lucky, the winter snowpack will be light or melt faster than normal and you can start mid-June.  Or if you are lucky, the first major snowstorm of the next winter will hold off until late October giving you some of that month.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 35
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2011, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks like it is time to bump this one again.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 36
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bumparoonie
 Post Number: 37
DanMN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey there. I am looking to go backpacking with group of guys. We are all from MN. Lots of boundary water trips, not so many mountain trips. I was thinking Sept because of the bug issue. Mosquitoes are huge here and ruin trips in summer. We were thinking of a five day trip with some adventure. We are all in late 20s early 30s and have done a lot of hiking (just not in the real mountains). We dont like crowds and are willing to push ourselves as far as terrain goes. We were thinking Colorado, but open for suggestions. Any thoughts??
 Post Number: 38
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DanMN,

September is usually great for a trip.  Snowpack (minus the permanent stuff) is melted, most crowds are gone as family and school vacations yield to classes again, and usually the mosquitoes are abated.  Some areas can be quite dry of water, but that's easy to plan around.  Snowfall usually hasn't started in earnest yet (you can get snow any night of the year, but you likely won't catch 3 feet of it around September).  Overall, that's probably the best month to choose.

If you can narrow anything down (what kind of areas in CO were you thinking, if you know?) and post a thread, folks could certainly help you out.  The more advanced research you do to narrow things down, the better the advice can be.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 39
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump  :;):

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 40
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Winds packer/fisher exclusively anymore. August 15th to September 10th is my window. The wildflowers are beautiful in July, of course, but once you have seen them a few dozen times.......I'd rather avoid the biting insects as much as possible these days.

:)
 Post Number: 41

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2012 looks like an early meltout in Great Basin Mts.

Note my two posts above about Nevada's Snake Range, Utah's Deep Creek Range, typically being hikeable Mem. Day, and well worthwhile.

Weather pattern this spring, this snotel, indicate it may be even earlier this year.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=1147&state=nv
 Post Number: 42
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Barring any major snowfall events coming up (which can happen, but become less likely with each passing warm week), it'll likely be a very early meltout in Colorado this year as well.  Not a single SNOTEL site is above average in the state for this time of year, most are in the 40-50% of normal range.  This warm un-snowy March did a number on the mountain pack.

I was camping virtually snow-free at 9,000+ feet this weekend outside of Steamboat Springs.  Still plenty of snow in the shady aspects of hills, but there's a lot of open bare ground out there too.

Colorado SnoTel sites

Other Rocky Mountain & Northwest states.

Montana and N. Idaho are looking deeper though, as are most of the Northwest states.  But the lower Rockies are looking to be very dry this year, at least trends indicate so far.

A bit too early to making 100% predictions though, we'll see how the rest of Spring plays out.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 43
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump
 Post Number: 44
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see it's time to dust off this old thread...
 Post Number: 45
JesseParker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone!

Apparently I am "that guy".... sorry I just saw this post.  

Thant being said, is there a good thread that I could be directed at to start planning my trip?  I am looking at June or July.  I did Longs 12 years ago and it snowed pretty good on my birthday July 31st.  We camped up on the Boulder Field and it was awesome!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
 Post Number: 46

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JesseParker @ Feb. 04 2013, 1:53 pm)
Hey everyone!

Apparently I am "that guy".... sorry I just saw this post.  

Thant being said, is there a good thread that I could be directed at to start planning my trip?  I am looking at June or July.  I did Longs 12 years ago and it snowed pretty good on my birthday July 31st.  We camped up on the Boulder Field and it was awesome!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Actually, this was probably bumped to the top because of the two guys that wanted to hike the Rockies in May, or the one who wanted March.  Every year, either myself or someone else bumps this back into play.  Actually, your requested time could be doable.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 47
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DanMN @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:22 pm)
We were thinking Colorado, but open for suggestions. Any thoughts??

Spectacular as Colorado is and with all due respect to my friends there, I'd suggest you consider the Beartooth Mountains of southern Montana for a several reasons.  They have argueably, some of the finest hiking in the country. They are generally much less crowded than many areas of Colorado. Finally, they are consideralbly closer to MN and pretty much a straight shot west.  Just get on I-90, head west and turn south-west on US 212 at Laurel, MT. One turn in the entire trip.  You are well advised to consider Sept for the trip.  Best time of the year in the Rockies, IMO.

If you want further details, just PM me. I can make a lot of suggestions for a great 5 day hike. Or just google Beartooth Mountains.

Wherever you go, have a great time.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 48

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump

--------------
 Post Number: 49

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2014, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump.
I'm again starting to see some threads asking about hiking during less than optimal times.  So, this needs to go to the top of the pile.

In general,
Avoid the high mountain areas until July.  The optimal hiking season for hiking in the mountains is July, August, September and (usually) October.  The ski/snowshoe season is December, January, February and (usually) March.  The off-seasons are November and April through June.

In general,
Avoid canyon areas in the SW from Late May until about mid-September.  The optimal hiking season for SW canyons are March/April and September, October and November.  In mild years, some can be hiked in winter.

Notice,
That June is NOT on my list for either mountains (too much snow or slushy melt conditions) or canyons (too hot already).  Exceptions would be Junes following a mild winter or an early meltoff.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 50

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Burntfoot, good bump.

One worthwhile tweak: as mentioned in previous posts June is typically prime for Great Basin mountain ranges.
 Post Number: 51

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, Eric.  THat has been mentioned before.  I've got to get over to that Great Basin area sometime.  Probably some year in June before things open up here in Colorado.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 52
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the snowpack in the Colorado mountains this year, it may be August before we can hike snow-free in the high country. Heck, it may not melt!

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 53

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Apr. 05 2014, 2:54 pm)
With the snowpack in the Colorado mountains this year, it may be August before we can hike snow-free in the high country. Heck, it may not melt!

I've seen this too many times before, where we go into the tail end of Winter with a huge snowpack, only to see it melt away under a barrage of 20 degree above average temps for weeks, with no precip. leading to a horrible fire season.

Then again, I've seen a paltry winter snowpack, this time of year, get boosted by 2-3 months of above ave snows and below ave temps. and get to the point that the snow lasts all summer.

That's why I always say to wait until June,  to finalize plans for the summer.

--------------
 Post Number: 54
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I wanted to hike Mt. Audubon in tevas for Cinco de Mayo. That's not fair.

Snow is pretty cool here in the Hole but East of the Divide in the Southern Absaroka its EPIC. 20' drifts around Aspen groves at 8k. As warm as its been inches will continue to pile up over 7K but I fear the jump to extreme heat too my friend. Hoping for a cool Spring but not the insanity of 2011 either. I want it all.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
54 replies since Feb. 02 2010, 11:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Consider Time of Year
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions