2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: San Juan Suggestions..., Fill 7 days in the San Juans< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
lovedemwoods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2012, 4:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning on spending ~7 days hiking / camping San Juan National Forest in early September. I am going to hit The Blue Lakes near Ouray for the first couple of nights and then I don't have a plan. Can you recommend some GPS marks to fill the other 5 days. I want to get away from everyone if at all possible and I need water sources of course.

I don't mind jumping back in my car after doing the Blue Lakes (I want to do these because of the May edition of BP) and driving to a new starting point for a 5 day hike / camp.  I don't need to cover a huge amount of ground, I really just want solitude, scenery and fishing.

I have been looking through the forums but most of them are West of Denver, which makes sense, but it's not where I'll be.   :cool:

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately, solitude and fishing tend to often be mutually exclusive.

You could may head over to Navajo Lake in the Lizard Head wilderness.

The Ice Lakes and Fuller Lake basins NW of Silverton are nice, but you don't need 5 days for those.

Bear Creek S of Ouray is a good hike, but not sure about any fishing.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3
jasoncravens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am actually flying to Colorado this week for a few days in the same area. I will be backpacking up to the blue lakes and trying to summit Mt. Sneffels. I will have a few extra days to seek something else out while I am there. I will let you know what I can find while I'm there.

Jason

--------------
Jason
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blue Lakes are great. Also:

Ice Lakes Basin
Wetterhorn Basin
Twilight Lake

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
lovedemwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions...

I think I'm going to spend a couple days at Blue Lakes and then hop in the car and drivev down to the South San Juan Wilderness.

If I were able to find a documented trip near Blue Lakes that offered a couple more days worth, I would spend some more time up there but there doesn't seem to be much in Trimble in that area except short day hikes.
 Post Number: 6
jasoncravens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from my trip. I think you can do more than two days at the blue lakes if you plan of a summit attempt of Sneffels. We spent two and a half days at the blue lakes with no summit attempt. We came from the low lands, so altitude was a small factor. It didn't hinder the trip, but we felt it and didn't want to push it up.

Awesome trip and area, unreal views. I think you will really enjoy it!

Jason

--------------
Jason
 Post Number: 7
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2012, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spent a few days in Ice Lake Basin last week.

If you want to see some photos, this is a link to my Flicker page.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey - just curious how this trip turned out and what you ended up doing?  I'm considering spending some time in the San Juans next year since it's an area I really haven't explored.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 9
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This link is to the South San Juan Wilderness

This is to the La Garita Wilderness north of Creede.

Both have topos and kml files of their respective areas plus some other goodies.  San Juans are spectacular.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
8 replies since Jul. 31 2012, 4:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply San Juan Suggestions...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions