2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winds-next year, Above Green River Lakes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned and already thinking about next year.

Thinking about doing a week long loop from GR Lakes to Thompson/Hidden Lakes and back.

My inquiry is about the Green River area above GR Lakes to Three Forks Park. What is the fishing like in the Green River and what are the views like to the east looking toward the divide and glaciers?

Any info will be helpful.

Regards.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 06 2012, 7:25 pm)
Just returned and already thinking about next year.

Thinking about doing a week long loop from GR Lakes to Thompson/Hidden Lakes and back.

My inquiry is about the Green River area above GR Lakes to Three Forks Park. What is the fishing like in the Green River and what are the views like to the east looking toward the divide and glaciers?

Any info will be helpful.

Regards.

Slim to none fishing in the Green. No views, you're in a bottomless canyon until you get to Summit Lk and turn west.

Even then, no "Big" views of the Divide unless you walk up some of the surrounding peaks.

Fishing does improve once you head west from Summit Lk.

Time to think about the S Winds, maybe an unnamed lake somewhere north of South Pass, or just a more traditional "loop" trip in the same vicinity.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 3
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 3:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Green Lakes and the river were gorgeous when we hiked through there a few weeks ago due to the silt in the water, which means crummy fishing. We camped by the upper Green Lake our first night and I got some wonderful photos of Squaretop reflected in the absolutely still water. Nary a sign of a fish rising to spoil the calm.

Views? Whatever is looming over the canyon is what you'll see.

I'm still working my way through photos, but what I shot along the Green Lakes River is up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbs10025/sets/72157631226846652/
How still was the water? See
http://www.flickr.com/photos....ightbox
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know. Beautiful country, not good fishing in the upper Green, and no view of the divide and glaciers from the trail.

I'll pass on this trip then.
 :;):
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tamarac, if you head into Hidden and Thompson Lakes from New Fork, you can get up to views sooner.  Check out my TR in Storytelling.  If I wanted to focus on the lakes I would go up the New Forks trail, but to hit views on the first day go up past Doubletop.

We had to do a trade-off with little time for H & T lakes in order to have time to get to Knapsack Col, but I'd love to go spend some time up in there.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks bec. Yes the Newfork Trail is the most direct and common route to Thomson/Hidden Lakes I think. I was thinking about going up to them from the South however, from Upper No Name Lake. Not sure if that is reasonable or not, but if so a loop would be possible.

Lots to contemplate.
 Post Number: 7
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did two hikes from the Green River Lakes involving Osborn Mountain.  Hike was great, scenery was fantastic as was the fishing.

The last one involved going halfway around and back over the top and is on youtube and is 4 or 5 parts if you want to see what it looked like.

The first one involved going all the way around...can give you all the specifics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzasMe44eAk&feature=relmfu

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting up to Hidden from Upper No Name looked pretty doable on the map, maybe a bit less obvious on the ground.  Let me look to see if any of our photos would give an idea of the terrain.  From the other side it's a walk.

All sorts of loops are possible up there--too many trails and canyons to get into them all!  We tossed around a bunch of variations.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
riverrunner03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went cross country from the No Name Lakes to the Thompson Lakes and Hidden Lakes about 10 years ago. There is great fishing for brook trout where you catch one on just about every cast. Nothing very large though. Here is my exerpt from my log/journal: "we cut off the Double Mountain Trail between the No Name Lakes and headed NNW. Unfortunately, we were not prepared for the high ridges that faced us. We climbed over 2 such high areas that required us to crawl, use hand holds, and all of this with our backpacks. It was the most rugged hiking with backpacks for us. We were not expecting 'mountains' to be in our way. Finally we found a landmark that set us back on course. That was Lake 11192. From there we passed through a small pass and turned slightly right and finally there was Thompson Lake."  
I remember thinking that we should have just followed the stream up to 11192  or took a more westerly track than what we did. We did not have a GPS. If you go the right way, I believe it would be relatively simple.
We left Thompson Lake and headed north to the New Fork Trail. This was much easier for us, because we went the right way. I would definately do the trip again sometime. We had a lot of fun on Thompson Lake. Very barren place though. I would consider climbing Glover Peak (elev. 12,068) while there. Routes are in Joe Kelsey's book.
Other highlights for me in that area was all the wild flowers along Palmer Lake trail and up Porcupine Trail. We were in that area in very late July/early August and they were at their peak.
Lots of different loops can be done from Green River TH into that area. I like seeing the grand Square Top Mountian standing over the Green River. It is a ways up the river, but the hike is easy. To add some challenge, take the Glacier Trail to Peak Lake and pass over Shannon Pass (climb up Stroud Peak) and circle back around to summit Lake via Elbow Lake. That would add more miles and difficulty but some nice views.
Hope this helps.
8 replies since Sep. 06 2012, 9:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winds-next year
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions