2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Colorado car camping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buddero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 6:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

10 best according to Elevation Outdoors: http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/travel....camping

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've to #1, 3, 4, and 6, all good choices.

Can't say I saw anyone dressed like the photo models at any of them, since I'm usually bundled up in my fleece and rain gear at those high altitude, rain/hail prone sites.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Link doesn't work, neither does it off google search page.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, it worked today.

With all due respect anyone that asserts ANY of the "BEST" car camping exisits within a developed campground is less than the sharpest pencil in the pocket to put it incredibly kindly. This list is absolutely worthless in my world.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's working again DC. The vagaries of the internet.

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And thanks for the comments SWT.

--------------

Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best car camping in Colorado is not in an organized campground....it's at a primative site a little ways off a spur road, which branches off from a dirt forest road.  The nearest pavement is miles and miles away.  It's in a national forest, or on BLM land, not a state or national park.  There's a babbling brook nearby, which completely obscures the sound of an occasional car or truck passing by on the distant forest road, plenty of shade from nearby Ponderosa Pine or Douglass Fir and quaking Aspen.  The view is spectacular.  You have no idea where the nearest other camper is, but certainly now withing 1/2 mile or so....perhaps even further.  You've gathered wood for a small fire.  There are plenty of dry branches on nearby dead trees, they're not all stripped like you would see at a normal campsite where every dead dry branch is picked up, and the rangers need to lecture tourons not to cut down live trees.

I can think of many places like this in Colorado...near the Comanche Peaks just North of RMNP, near Cochetopa Creek close to the La Garita Wilderness, at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains on the edge of the San Luis Valley, In the hills west of Antonito, in the shadows of the Gore Range, in the Wet Mountains, West of Buena Vista, South of Silverton.

Why anyone would want to camp in a campground is completely beyond me.
 Post Number: 8
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whoever made that list needs to get out more.  Vallecito Lake...really?  It is nice, but I could name a half dozen places within 50 miles that are better.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 20 2012, 9:47 am)
You've gathered wood for a small fire.  

I can think of many places like this in Colorado...near the Comanche Peaks just North of RMNP, near Cochetopa Creek close to the La Garita Wilderness, at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains on the edge of the San Luis Valley, In the hills west of Antonito, in the shadows of the Gore Range, in the Wet Mountains, West of Buena Vista, South of Silverton.

"Small fire..." Not this year.

The places you mention - I'll add to my file of this info (though near Comanche Peaks or the shadows of the Gore Range etc. are a little vague).

Why anyone... because they're from somewhere else on the way to another place (Wyoming, for example) and aren't familiar with the details of Colorado and just need a place to stay for a night.

Frihauf: It would be great if you would name those half dozen places

--------------

Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Sep. 20 2012, 5:25 pm)
Whoever made that list needs to get out more.  Vallecito Lake...really?  It is nice, but I could name a half dozen places within 50 miles that are better.

I'm glad you said that.  The Vallecito Lake CG is the only one mentioned that I've seen, and I think it's the least interesting place I've camped in CO.
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Sep. 20 2012, 4:28 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 20 2012, 9:47 am)
You've gathered wood for a small fire.  

"Small fire..." Not this year.

The places you mention - I'll add to my file of this info (though near Comanche Peaks or the shadows of the Gore Range etc. are a little vague).

Why anyone... because they're from somewhere else on the way to another place (Wyoming, for example) and aren't familiar with the details of Colorado and just need a place to stay for a night.

Frihauf: It would be great if you would name those half dozen places

A lot of places up in the mountains have removed their fire restrictions, so yes, this year.

Driving through Colorado and just car camping would be like having sex without taking your clothes off.  Sure it's OK, but.....

The vagueness is intentional.  Good campsites near the front range cities are hard to come by.  It takes some research and effort
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 21 2012, 10:22 am)
The vagueness is intentional.  Good campsites near the front range cities are hard to come by.  It takes some research and effort

That's the spirit.

--------------

11 replies since Sep. 07 2012, 6:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Colorado car camping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions