2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Maroon Bells 4 Pass Trip Summary, short summary of hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rogeremeadows Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 8:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned from a solo of the Maroon Bells 4 pass, clockwise.  Was an amazing 4 days!    Very dry it appeared there...Crystal River crossing was a rock hop across.  Did not have to pull off the boots for any water crossing.

No bear issues at all.  A few reports of one in Fravert Basin but I didnt see any.  Despite some compromised bear protocol by other campers nearby me...no issues.
Saw bear poo in several spots along the way but no tracks at all on the trail.  

The aspen were not at their peak but were getting close.  

The most amazing part of the trip was Snowmass Lake.  I could have spent two days there.   Wished I had brought my fly rod.  Trout were biting.

Not sure the low temp but frost on the tent two nights.  Daytime temps allowed for shorts.   A 15 deg bag was more than plenty during the night.   Rained all night the first night but was dry the rest of the trip.

Elk were bugling all night long at the Crystal River Campground.  Coyotes all night long at the Snowmass Lake.  

Two  things I would change on the next trip.  First.... is to bring more calories.  The passes were more difficult than I had imagined and really burned the calories.  Learned not to compromised on calories when trying to reduce pack weight.  Secondly, the mountain air is so dry relative to my stomping grounds.  My Osprey pack is not set up to easily obtain water.....caught myself not hydrating properly...not wanting to remove my pack.  Need to work on this item.

I took many photos along the trail.  If you would like to view them, I inserted them into a youtube video.

Here is the link....enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/hCFIaJJX1E4
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Maroon Bells have to be some of the most spectacular scenery in the country, if not the world.  Just beautiful down there.  I've only day hiked the area but would love to do the Four Pass route.  Glad you had a great time.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If someone wanted to know exactly what the Four Pass Loop is like at this time of year (in a dry year), they couldn't do better than to watch your Youtube photos. Good work. It is a hard hike and worth it, I'm sure all would agree.   That basin with the tarns and little granite domes below Trail Rider Pass was a magical place to me. Thanks

Those are some classic Maroon Bells photos at the end. One of them needs to be on a wall somewhere. "Yep, well, I walked around behind those mountains and on out."

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you mean your pack wasn't set up easily to obtain water?  Are you talking about the inside hydration sleeve?
 Post Number: 5
rogeremeadows Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i do use a cambelbak bladder on my hot area hikes but chose to carry liter water bottles in the side sleeves on the Osprey for this hike.  Impossible for me to reach without removing my pack.
 Post Number: 6
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rogeremeadows @ Sep. 17 2012, 9:22 pm)
i do use a cambelbak bladder on my hot area hikes but chose to carry liter water bottles in the side sleeves on the Osprey for this hike.  Impossible for me to reach without removing my pack.

Yeah, that's not good.  What I've done is take the bladder and put it in one of the side mesh pockets.  You can still string the tubing through the portal in the pack.  It's easier to tell how much water is left and easier to access to refill.
No need to pull a bunch of stuff out of your pack to cram to bladder back in the sleeve.

I have an Osprey also.
 Post Number: 7
Canyonlands Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice timing on this trip for you.  I've been waiting for 3 straight cloud-free days to do this same route and they finally hit this week.  Too bad the skies filled with smoke.  I scratched it and I'm in a holding pattern again.  The weather is always the big question so congrats on hitting that window.

--------------
Edge of the Holy Cross Wilderness - Colorado
 Post Number: 8
NCThiker Search for posts by this member.
Bowmen Lake MNF

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice report and video Roger, we were out there and did the "Loop" Sept.2nd-6th

[IMG]http://thumb13.webshots.net/t....MG]

I would like to do the loop again but would like to go when the wildflowers are in bloom, maybe the 1st or 2nd week of August. Be nice to see and cross the creeks and rivers at a higher flow rate too. I really liked Fravert Basin and Snowmass Lake. The entire loop has beautiful, ever changing scenery though, and should be on every backpackers list.
 Post Number: 9
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should have the next to last photo enlarged and put on a wall.  Stunning.  Thank you for putting that together.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 10
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice video on your hike. Spectacular pics!

We did this hike in August 2011 and it was nice to relive it through your video.

Good to see what Trailrider Pass looks like with blue skies. When we did it, it was raining sideways with hail mixed in. Coming down from the pass was like walking in a creek.

I hope you enjoyed the hike as much as we did.
9 replies since Sep. 16 2012, 8:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Maroon Bells 4 Pass Trip Summary
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions