2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Um, I got lost. In the Winds. Silly me.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HowardFineHoward Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 8:47 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is embarrassing, but I took a turn onto a trail less than a mile north of the Big Sandy trailhead. I thought I was headed to Big Sandy Lake, but-- according to the sun and a few compass readings I took after I was pretty convinced that I was NOT headed to Big Sandy-- I headed southeast. The trail was very distinct and marked with Continental Divide blazes, but I swear it is not on my map (Beartooth Publishing, South Winds). Anyway, I spent longer than I'd care to relate on this trail, and I want closure. Where was I? Does anyone know of this trail? I'd like to see it on a map so I can know where the heck I went.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you pass Meeks Lake before your turn?

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel for ya Howard but I still couldn't help but get a big chuckle out of your post. Most people have probably had that happen to them, but it's funny to see it on a message board for some reason. Not 'where should I go?', but
'where was I'  :D

When I get time I'll plug in my Wyoming CD and look for the trail you were on. A trail marked that well must be on a map somewhere.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@Chas: No, had not passed Meeks Lake. In fact, when I took the turn on to this mystery trail, I was thinking that I was at the junction of the trail to Meeks and the trail to Big Sandy. But now I'm thinking that I had passed that junction already. Shortly after taking my wrong turn I crossed a bridge which I thought was over the drainage from Meeks and V Lakes, but now I'm thinking it crossed Big Sandy River, and allowed me to wander off to the southeast.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is the going SE that is weird.  I was there last week and tracked the trail going north past Meeks and beyond Fish Ck Parks and the trail from Big Sandy Lake to the campground.  All the junctions were well marked with signs.  Compared to all the other creeks in the area, Big Sandy Creek had lots of water AND none of the trails cross it.  I think you would have had a wet crossing if you crossed it.  (Unless you found a trail from the campground.  You didn't go through the canpground, per se, did you?)

The only trail that goes SE is the trail to Big Sandy where it splits from the Meeks trail, crosses Meeks creek, goes SE for 0.2 mi then swings NE.  If you took your bearings there it all makes sense.  However, the BS trail was a highway when I was there so I would think you'd see someone.  Did you pass some big meadows with a stream running through it?

Did you see the treatment flyers about poisoning exotic fish in the Meeks Creek drainage?  North of Meeks the trail climbs a bit starting up a very worn area (looks like horse damage) and where there is a trail that heads SW. The trail continues N until it reaches a meadow that gives you a view toward Fish Park.  

Any of this ring a bell?

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm convinced I didn't make it as far as Meeks Lake. I'm pretty sure my mystery trail connects near where the Big Sandy and Meeks trails split, just 0.6 mi from the trailhead or so. There were a couple yellow ribbons tied at the start of my trail, no signs, and shortly thereafter a bridge, nice and stout, not your fallen log variety, and yeah, lots of water.

I didn't go through the campground. I started from the trailhead immediately west of it.

I did eventually get to a meadow and a stream crossing, but this was 1:45 (5 miles?) down this trail.  This is where I checked the compass and figured I had been going mostly SE.  Did not see a soul the whole time heading out.  Passed a family on my way back, but that was it.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got me.  Sounds like you were lost:p

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 8
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using Google Earth and Google Maps to check out the terrain, I'm wondering of the bridge on the mystery trail is located across the Big Sandy here...
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll....=h&z=20

I can't really make out a trail headed to this spot in Google Earth and of course there's nothing on the topo maps, but that does look like a bridge and not just a big tree that's fallen across the river.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bingo. I spotted the same thing on Google Earth, and also thought it might be my bridge. That's one confirmation that I'm not ape-%$*# crazy. Good enough. Thanks all. I will continue to check to see if this trail ever ends up on a map.
 Post Number: 10
kkvolk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years ago the three hikers I was with in the Beartooths got lost.  I was right there with them but couldn't convince them we were on the wrong trail.  The two teenagers got out in front of us (how did that happen?). and missed a turn.  From the footprints in the trail we guessed that they had missed it and finally caught them a couple of miles down the wrong trail when they stopped to wait for us.  Since there wasn't a trail on the map where I was pointing to show them where we were and we were on a well used trail they were inclined to ignore all of the other map clues and even a GPS waypoint for where we should have turned.  Clay Butte was on our left side and should have been on our right.  Since no one wanted to hike back up to where we should have turned we hiked out to the wrong TH and I hitched a ride over to Island Lake to get my truck.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw that bridge, too.  I thought you said the bridge was 5 miles in.  That is way to close if that is the case.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, the bridge I crossed was very soon after my wrong turn, which was near the Meeks / Big Sandy junction.

Charlie, I checked out your website.  Your Bears Ears loop was the EXACT trip I planned before my two-day setback.  Day One was an evening thunderstorm that stopped me from getting a few short miles in before dark.  Day Two was the mystery trail fiasco.  So the Winds kicked my tail two days in a row, and I headed to Yellowstone and car-camped.  How was the trip?
11 replies since Sep. 16 2012, 8:47 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Um, I got lost. In the Winds. Silly me.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions