2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Weminuche Wilderness Question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Caipira Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking to hike in Weminuche Wilderness in July, would like to hike about 7 days.  

Any suggestions on which airport to fly into Colorado Springs or albuquerque.

Any public transportation suggestions from the airports to the Wilderness ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Caipira @ Sep. 24 2012, 11:06 am)
Looking to hike in Weminuche Wilderness in July, would like to hike about 7 days.  

Any suggestions on which airport to fly into Colorado Springs or albuquerque.

Any public transportation suggestions from the airports to the Wilderness ?

Just realized there is a Durango Airport....I guess that one would be the best.  Btw, this is my first hiking trip in CO, I am a pretty avid AT hiker.
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are shuttles from the airport into town and to the railroad station. I planned out a lot of a trip to the Weminuche, and would be there now if I hadn't put it off until next year. The question I had remaining, that you may want to look into, is what to do with your luggage and regular clothes while you're gone, since you're not going to have a rental car or hotel room. I hadn't checked on rental lockers or other gear storage yet when I decided to reprioritize my vacation time...
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Sep. 24 2012, 1:49 pm)
There are shuttles from the airport into town and to the railroad station. I planned out a lot of a trip to the Weminuche, and would be there now if I hadn't put it off until next year. The question I had remaining, that you may want to look into, is what to do with your luggage and regular clothes while you're gone, since you're not going to have a rental car or hotel room. I hadn't checked on rental lockers or other gear storage yet when I decided to reprioritize my vacation time...

I am looking into options for where to store my luggage as well.
 Post Number: 5
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you staying when not on the trail?  Most hotels/motels will store your gear for you while you are out.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the money you save flying into Colorado Springs over Durango you can probably rent a car for a week.  It's cheaper to fly into the Springs then DIA.
 Post Number: 7
Canyonlands Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 24 2012, 11:16 pm)
With the money you save flying into Colorado Springs over Durango you can probably rent a car for a week.  It's cheaper to fly into the Springs then DIA.

That's a 5.5 hour drive, twice.   Most folks I know who live in Durango, fly in and out from there or use the airport in Albuquerque, which is a 4 hour drive.

--------------
Edge of the Holy Cross Wilderness - Colorado
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have enough air miles to fly for free into Durango.
 Post Number: 9
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you get closer to your trip let me know.  If I am in town you could leave your luggage at my house.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 10
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS:  If you fly into Durango, you can get to the trailhead by taking the narrow gauge railroad to Needleton or Silverton.  You probably already knew this, but just in case...

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
9 replies since Sep. 24 2012, 11:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Weminuche Wilderness Question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions