2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wind River Range Trip Report!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 4:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brad and I took our annual backpacking trip in the Wind River Range of Wyoming for 2012. We took an awesome, mostly offtrail, route through the southern Winds. Generally, the daily mileage with packs was relatively low, but we climbed a mountain everyday and fished for dinner every night. The scenery was incredibly beautiful.

ALL OF MY PICTURES

Day 1: Drive from Salt Lake, Hike into Cirque of the Towers via Jackass Pass, Camp in the Cirque
Day 2: Cross Texas Pass, Climb Camel's Hump, Camp on Barren Lake
Day 3: Illinois Pass to Washakie Lake, Climb Mount Washakie, Camp on Washakie Lake
Day 4: Spearpoint Lake to Grave Lake, Climb Pilot Knob (aka Grave Lake Dome), Camp Grave Lake
Day 5: Grave Lake to Baptiste Lake, Climb Glissade Peak, Camp Baptiste Lake
Day 6: Baptiste Lake to Pyramid Lake, Climb Pyramid Peak & Midsummer Dome, Camp Pyramid Lake
Day 7: Day hike in East Fork (aka Desolation Valley), Climb Mount Geikie, Camp Pyramid Lake
Day 8: Hike back to Big Sandy Trailhead

Jackass Pass

Pingora from Lonesome Lake

Texas Pass

Camel's Hump Summit

Camel's Hump Summit

Billy's Lake

Washakie Peak Summit

Washakie Pass

Spearpoint Lake & Pass

Mount Hooker Panorama

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baptiste Lake

Glissade Peak Summit

Mount Hooker & Grave Lake Valley

Pyramid Peak Summit

Midsummer Dome Summit

Midsummer Dome Panorama

East Fork Valley

Mount Geikie Summit

Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys have shared some awesome pics here. Can't wait until you take your skirts off and hike the Absaroka.

Beautiful, spectacular, exquisite. Thanks for sharing Pudgy.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
riverrunner03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting the TR and photos. The views appear to have been incredible! I do have a few questions.
What were the dates you went? I see no haze/smoke.
What camera do you use?
Did you scramble up all the mountains or did you need climbing gear? Did you use any climbing books to figure out your routes?
Which mountain was the hardest to summit and how do they campare to Fremont Peak in difficulty?
And finally, which pass was the hardest to get over?
 Post Number: 5
TheKnifeSmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow those are some fantastic pis! I absolutely love the one of Pingora from Lonesome lake!

Thanks for sharing

--------------
Nathan
The Knife Smith
 Post Number: 6
hawkinss Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(riverrunner03 @ Oct. 15 2012, 11:53 am)
Thanks for posting the TR and photos. The views appear to have been incredible! I do have a few questions.
What were the dates you went? I see no haze/smoke.
What camera do you use?
Did you scramble up all the mountains or did you need climbing gear? Did you use any climbing books to figure out your routes?
Which mountain was the hardest to summit and how do they campare to Fremont Peak in difficulty?
And finally, which pass was the hardest to get over?

Hi Riverrunner,

I ma the author of the trip report, I accidentally posted under my wife's account, anyway to answer your questions:

1.  We went the last week of July 2012.  The Fontenelle Fire in Big Piney was roaring, but it never impacted visibility during our time in the Winds.

2.  I used an Canon Rebel T2i digital SLR to take the pictures.

3. All of our summits were non technical, we did not use rock climbing gear, although we had a small alpine rack in case we got into a tight spot.

4. I do have a climbing guide to the Wind River Range, but our choice of scrambles was made in the field.  If we saw something we thought might be interesting we went for it.

5.  The hardest scramble from a technical perspective was Camel's Hump, which was in the Cirque.  It is definitely a step up from Fremont Peak technically.  There was some short class 4 scrambling on Camel's Hump.  From an effort standpoint, Fremont required more effort, but the terrain is easier.

Just considering technical aspects, Glissade Peak, Washakie Peak, and Mount Geikie are on par with Fremont.  Midsummer Dome is a little more technical than Fremont.

6.  Illinois Pass was the most difficult pass without question.  Illinois Pass is actually rated Class 3, the same as Fremont Peak, but you cross it with a full pack on.  Also, Illinois Pass took a fair amount of route finding to locate the easiest route.  I wouldn't say Illinois Pass is dangerous, but it is hard work because you are doing some scrambling with the heavy pack on.
 Post Number: 7
riverrunner03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recognize you now hawkinss from previous posts. Glad that you had a great trip. Thanks for the answers. I hope to get back to the Winds as I can and do more xc hiking. BTY, I am decended from some Hawkins in N GA, SC and NC. We may be cousins?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(riverrunner03 @ Oct. 15 2012, 4:55 pm)
I recognize you now hawkinss from previous posts. Glad that you had a great trip. Thanks for the answers. I hope to get back to the Winds as I can and do more xc hiking. BTY, I am decended from some Hawkins in N GA, SC and NC. We may be cousins?

Could be, I was born and raised in Marion, NC.
 Post Number: 9
Turbogsrhatch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 4:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi
I have a question I'm from Wisconsin and when we do camping hiking/ backpacking trips here the real only danger we have to come across is crazy deer and badgers which I've never come across. So I'm going to the winds next year sometime for a fly fishing/backpacking trip and I've been searching online like crazy for gun laws. So what I'm asking is can you carry guns while backpacking be it rifles, handguns, shotguns or whatever? Sorry if off topic and not in the right place to ask first time user....
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 6:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Turbogsrhatch @ Oct. 18 2012, 4:10 am)
So what I'm asking is can you carry guns while backpacking be it rifles, handguns, shotguns or whatever?

I have seen folks packing heat back there.  My opinion is that there isn't any wildlife back there that is going to harm you though.  Folks have said there have been grizzlies in the Winds, most up near Green Lakes, but I would say they are very rare in the Winds.

Someone will chime in, but out west I tend to think gun laws are pretty lenient compared to what us city folk are used to on the east coast and mid west.
 Post Number: 11
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can carry firearms while backpacking but there is no reason to.

To Hunt in Wilderness areas in Wyoming you must hire a licensed outfitter however.

I have seen other backpackers carrying sidearms and I never understood why.

Grizzly bear confrontation is the only possible encounter where you might want a handgun and that is extremely remote in the Winds.
 Post Number: 12
MTNMAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Fellow Backpackers,

I have recently moved to WY and your pictures have only heightened my impatience to get into this beautiful wilderness. Alas, I fear it may be too late in the season for a trip, and I must wait until spring.

Thank you for posting these,
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grizzlies are now seen in the Northeast Winds.One was shot well south of Pinedale on the west side a few years back. Butr I do agree they are rare in such a rugged range.

The Alaska Department of Fish & Game produced a compelling study that REALLY supports the rationale that one is far better served with Bearspray than conventional firearms when it comes to protection from Grizzlies. I holster spray and an airhorn and although I've used my airhorn several times I sprayed my first Grizzly in the backcountry this past 4th of July after carrying spray for 13 years. I'd of been hard pressed to shoot that boar's bobbing eyes charging me at +/- 30 miles an hour, but that of course would have been the only option unless I had suicidal tendencies I wanted to indulge.

Think! It just might save your life.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 20 2012, 12:04 pm)
Grizzlies are now seen in the Northeast Winds.One was shot well south of Pinedale on the west side a few years back. Butr I do agree they are rare in such a rugged range.

The Alaska Department of Fish & Game produced a compelling study that REALLY supports the rationale that one is far better served with Bearspray than conventional firearms when it comes to protection from Grizzlies. I holster spray and an airhorn and although I've used my airhorn several times I sprayed my first Grizzly in the backcountry this past 4th of July after carrying spray for 13 years. I'd of been hard pressed to shoot that boar's bobbing eyes charging me at +/- 30 miles an hour, but that of course would have been the only option unless I had suicidal tendencies I wanted to indulge.

Think! It just might save your life.

Were you packing an extra pair of underwear?  :D
 Post Number: 15
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pictures....thanks for posting them.

On the bear issue when we hiked a section of the Winds in 2008 there was a Grizzly sow with a pair of cubs in the Clear Lake Valley.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 16
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool

How were the bugs?????

The skeeters ""encouraged" us to come out a day early in 2011....and to buy headnets!

As for the hangun topic....I saw several 44mags on our trip...not at all uncommon....but not required...by us at least

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
15 replies since Oct. 14 2012, 4:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wind River Range Trip Report!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions