2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Accessing trailheads in CO, vehicles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
skik2000 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 3:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm moving to CO soon and am curious as to the accessibility of most trail heads.  Will a sedan get you to most or is it best to have 4WD?

I know a sedan will get you to plenty of them but wasn't sure if there are a lot that would be inaccessible with a car.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends on how well you tolerate the sound of rocks scraping against the undercarriage.

Some trailheads are easy to access with a regular car.  Some, a high clearance vehicle like a truck are better and some do indeed need 4WD.
 Post Number: 3
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe not 4WD.  But, I would definitely recommend higher clearance.  Down here in SW CO, all the best trail heads require 4WD to reach.

That being said, I often see people hiking up the 4wd road from a point accessed by a car.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 4
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As stated...clearance is of more importance in many cases

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 5
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can get to every TH with 3" of clearance...It's getting to school, work, the mall, etc why every single Coloradan has a 4WD. Most never get off of asphalt.
and these rules from Jeff Foxworthy are 100% accurate.
http://cabinchat.primos.com/index.php?showtopic=39107

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all due respect Bill if you try to get to among others the Music Pass or Kite Lake Trailheads  with just 3" of clearance you are going to REALLY mess up your vehicle. There are many more like them to, the reason you see some people walking up rougher roads to trailheads.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
CubsFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What part of Colorado are you moving to?  I bought a Jeep for a couple of reasons.  Some trailheads to require a 4x4 (or at very least high ground clearance).  But also, if you plan to do any snowshoeing, sometimes getting to the trailheads will require going through a decent amount of snow.
 Post Number: 8
ckfreund Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need to visit this website:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads1.php
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a regular ol' car, and yes, there are some trailheads I cannot get to.  I have had my car in some places it was not meant to go, though.

The worst trip I took my car on was driving up and over Weston Pass (Colorado). Going up was okay, but going down the other side was pretty bad. I'm surprised my car made it.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
8 replies since Oct. 30 2012, 3:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Accessing trailheads in CO
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions