2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Glacier:  5-6 Day Trip Recommendations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CDMHike Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 6:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning a 4-5 night backcountry trip for next summer.  I have never been to Glacier.  Any recommendations for a route that showcases the best of Glacier?  Any views on Bowman lake to Kintla lake?

Many thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went last summer but to the NE part (Belly River) and it was great.   I planned to go on the west side (Bowman Lake and Brown Pass) but could only go in early July so had to switch to the NE part as many of the upper elevation campgrounds east of Bowman Lake were still closed.

If you are interested in the Belly River area, let me know and I can give you more details on our trip.

Glacier is a great place and after being there, I think about it almost every day.
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many miles a day are looking to cover and are you planning any rest days. That will figure in a lot in making recommendations.

Regardless, have fun.  Glacier is a magic place.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
CDMHike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for the responses.  In terms of daily hiking, given that not all miles are created equal, I think in terms of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the trail.  With that in mind, do you have a view on the following route?  Is it overly ambitious?  Also, Is early July too early?  Many thanks,

Day 1:  Many Glacier to Granite Park (7.6m)
Day 2:  To Fifty Mountain (11.9m)
Day 3:  To Stoney Indian Lake (8.2m)
Day 4:  To Glenns Lake FT (9.9m)
Day 5:  To Elizabeth Lake FT (5.7m)
Day 6:  Hike out to Many Glacier (10.1)
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be a  great and somwhat ambitious hike if you don't mind a lot of elevation gain and loss.  The last day, being one of the longest with a good climb up to the Ptarmigan Tunnel, could be a bit challenging.  (No rest days? ???) The real  problem I see is your time frame - early July is, well, still pretty early for Glacier hiking depending on the winter snow pack and the spring weather.  At best it will be iffy. That early in the season may well prove impossible for your route unless you're a skilled mountaineer with the proper skills and equipment i.e. ice axe, crampons, etc.  Early July is going to be problematic anywhere in Glacier except for the lower elevations.  Many areas may not even be open to hiking because of snow and high water.   Also, later in the season, several areas you mention are very popular and the competition for campsites is high.  Sorry to rain on your parade but that's the reality of it.  But then, you never know about the mountains.  Hope for best, prepare for the worst.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 02 2012, 11:58 pm)
That would be a  great and somwhat ambitious hike if you don't mind a lot of elevation gain and loss.  The last day, being one of the longest with a good climb up to the Ptarmigan Tunnel, could be a bit challenging.  (No rest days? ???) The real  problem I see is your time frame - early July is, well, still pretty early for Glacier hiking depending on the winter snow pack and the spring weather.  At best it will be iffy. That early in the season may well prove impossible for your route unless you're a skilled mountaineer with the proper skills and equipment i.e. ice axe, crampons, etc.  Early July is going to be problematic anywhere in Glacier except for the lower elevations.  Many areas may not even be open to hiking because of snow and high water.   Also, later in the season, several areas you mention are very popular and the competition for campsites is high.  Sorry to rain on your parade but that's the reality of it.  But then, you never know about the mountains.  Hope for best, prepare for the worst.

I concur with Hikerjer.  He lives there IIRC and has lots of experience.  When I went in early July, lots of backcountry campsites were not yet opened for the season and that pushed us to hiking in the NE part (Belly River).

That said, it was great and I want to go back.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given it's relatively low elevation, the Belly River country might be a good option for the OP.  And it is very nice hiking.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
pasqualli Search for posts by this member.
Standin' in the shower ... thinkin'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just another concern with that particular route, dove-tailing into Jer's comments, is that the tunnel (between ELF and Many Glacier) might not even be open yet because of weather.   In the past couple of years it's been middle to end of July before it opened.   Work up a few scenarios that you like, submit your permit request and then be prepared to take plan b (or c, or d) once you get there.

--------------
Randy's Backpacking Website
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
7 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 6:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Glacier:  5-6 Day Trip Recommendations?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions