2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking with Dog< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
girlanddog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for the best places to hike/camp with my four-legged friend in the Rockies.

Thinking possibly somewhere in Idaho, as we have never been.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Generally national forests allow hiking with dogs.  I think taking dogs into the backcountry is prohibited in nearly all national parks.  So pick a hiking area in a national forest in Idaho, there are lots of them, and go for it.  One hint - I think I'd stay out of an area with a high bear population as dogs and bears don't generally mix very well.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
girlanddog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:13 pm)
Generally national forests allow hiking with dogs.  I think taking dogs into the backcountry is prohibited in nearly all national parks.  So pick a hiking area in a national forest in Idaho, there are lots of them, and go for it.  One hint - I think I'd stay out of an area with a high bear population as dogs and bears don't generally mix very well.

I was under the impression that dogs WEREN'T allowed in national forests/parks...due to the overwhelming number of irresponsible owners.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Jer is right.  National forests are mostly dog friendly, whereas national parks do not allow dogs on the trails.  So, pick a few places you might want to visit, and then go to that NF site and look at their limits.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be sure to look for a "Hikes with Dogs" book for the area you are interested in - they are a very useful series of day and overnight hikes that are dog friendly.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always wondered how much canines actually like hiking. I know they stay stoic for their masters, but....they probably think it is a real pain the ass.

:D
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:24 pm)
I always wondered how much canines actually like hiking. I know they stay stoic for their masters, but....they probably think it is a real pain the ass.

:D

Depends on the dog, I'm sure.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get your dog this book for xmas so I don't have to step around his poop

http://www.amazon.com/****-Wo....8156270
 Post Number: 9
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about here?

photo storage

Or here?

images

Or here?

picture sharing

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

10,000', Beartooths, MT.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great photos DC and MLW. Woof (dog for thanks)!

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^What he said.^^
 Post Number: 13
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 13 2012, 8:10 pm)
Get your dog this book for xmas so I don't have to step around his poop

http://www.amazon.com/****-Wo....8156270

http://www.amazon.com/How-Shi....itle_bk

You are so funny...no problems with anal retentative issues in the wild kingdom, but you might need to watch where you walk especially when on a horse trail...they just lift their tails and do their business without any concern for the fella behind them!  :D
 Post Number: 14
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The post  from ng brought back memories of some good advice I learned in the 70's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY7ZX6ngOSs

Hope this solves the problem.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 15
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of dog and what kind of experience/training does he/she have?
 Post Number: 16
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:24 pm)

I can only speak for my dog and he throws a fit if our packs are being loaded and/or put in the car and his is not. He pouts for a week when we get back He is not super enthusiastic about carrying his food etc. and he seems to think he should have his own therm-a-rest (that I carry of course) but he absolutely loves sleeping in the tent with us. On two occasions he has literally unzipped the tent and climbed in to go to bed without us.

We don't take him into serious bear country and when we have been out to Colorado we have left him at home -mostly because it is complicated to travel across country with him. His motto is "let no dog be left behind".

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 17
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Nov. 16 2012, 10:10 am)
How about here?

Notice that the human in that picture is looking at the great scene but the dog is apparently thinking about pooping on it.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, major tragedy when one dog poops where thousands of wild ungulates, dozens if not hundreds of wolves, and perhaps the greatest concentration of Grizzlies in the Rockies do.

--------------

Post Number: 19
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Double Cabin  That's a great pic  of the woman and Lab. Specifically..Where waws it taken.?Thanks,
Rics in Pinedale.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rics, that's my beloved Absaroka. Continetal Divide looking at Pinnacle Buttes on my favorite day hike in the world.

--------------

Post Number: 21
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had a border collie along with us when we did the Sawtooths in Idaho several years ago.

Domino at Imogene Lake, Sawtooth Mts.

His human companion had to start wrapping his paws around day 4 or so. Possibly that was because we had gone off-trail up a talus slope, over a col and down a talus slope.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
20 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 12:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking with Dog
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions