2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Arches NP/ Grand Canyon, etc on the fly, Where to go ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are driving down to my mothers house in Phoenix, AZ for Thanksgiving, in a few days, but I have a day or two to spare going and coming.

I'm hoping for one full day at Moab and Arches, since I've never been there, for a drive through, and short 1-2 mi hikes.

I've never been to the Grand Canyon, as well, so I'll be trying to at least drive in to see the S Rim

What else is along the way between Moab and Phoenix that is a "Must See" and would only involve an hour or 2 detour ?

I'm looking for easy photo ops that are either drive up or at most 2-3 mi hikes since this is going to be a pretty rushed trip.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Delicate Arch hike.
Edge of Cedars Museum in Blanding, UT

Check out http://www.bogley.com/   lots of local info.
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can work it in, I wouldn't miss Zion (easy to at least drive through on the way to the GC).  Bryce Canyon's on the way as well if you have time.  Both are very nice, but nothing compares to the Grand Canyon IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen." á- áLouis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the rangers are still doing the Fiery Furnace guided tour at Arches, try to sign up for that.  They take you down into a labyrinth of sandstone fins.  Arches has a ton of short hikes to Arches right off the road, too.

In Arizona, we enjoyed our stop at the Wupatki/Sunset Crater National Monuments - they are both interesting stops right next to each other.
http://www.nps.gov/sucr/parkmgmt/flag_parks.htm

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 5
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is the weather like on average on the South Rim in December and January?
 Post Number: 6
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See you there! We will be hiking the Murphy Trail (Island in the Sky) on Friday and renting a jeep Saturday to do Chicken Out and Hurrah Pass.

Try driving out to the Needles Overlook and/or Anticline Overlook, both can be done in a car on good gravel roads.
 Post Number: 7
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many days do you have between Moab and Phoenix? áIf you have time, I would visit Page (Wire Pass/Buckskin Gulch, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Water Holes Slot Canyon, the Toadstools, Glen Canyon Dam are all things that would fit in your time criteria). If you don't have time and go straight to the Grand Canyon (which I agree is a must), I would stop by Coal Mine Canyon outside of Tuba City then go through the east entrance of the south rim (Desert View).

There are several options between the Grand Canyon and Phoenix depending on your route and time: Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument (outside Flagstaff), Montezuema's Castle, Sedona, Tuzigoot National Monument, and Jerome (nice museum in the old mining town).

Bryce and Zion are both fantastic, but not really on your way to Phoenix from Moab.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you ask about spots between Moab and the Grand Canyon, I'd vote for Monument Valley. Especially, if you're a fan of western movies...

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
 Post Number: 9
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of anything I consider unique in Monument Valley requires a Tribal Permit. If you can do it I'd hit Arches for some of the shorter Arch Hike, and then hit Natural Bridges NM heading farther Southwest. I personally think Natural Bridges is "better" than Arches.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 10
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, if it's a choice between Arches and Monument Valley, there's no contest. Arches has numerous, fantastic short hikes, with the Devils Garden loop one of my all-time favorite hikes.

I haven't visited Natural Bridges yet, though always wanted to. You might go there instead of Monument Valley. It's not that you can you go wrong in that area...

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
 Post Number: 11
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather on the South Rim.  We've spent the last two Christmas's there visiting our son who works for Xanterra.  I've seen it mild with temps in the 50's during the day, I've seen two snowstorms, and I've seen the temperature below 0 on my car thermometer as we left one morning.  So, it's a crap shoot on weather.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the great ideas !!

We'll be driving S down 191 through Moab, all the way to 160, then west to 89 and south to Phoenix, Sun-Tues/Wed. The weather sounds gorgeous.

On the way back, we want to head back N on 191 again, to 262 then east to Cortez past Hovenweep/ Canyon of the Ancients/ Mesa Verde. Then back up 285 to Denver and north. Weather permitting of course.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given your route, you should make the short detour to Coal Mine Canyon. It would be about a 30 mile detour, but the canyon is not far off the main highway (you just need to know where you are going because there are no signs). You drive right up to the canyon. It's really pretty!

If the timing is right, enter the Grand Canyon through the eastern entrance and hit Desert View in late afternoon/sunset (great light this time of day). It's one of my favorite spots at the Grand Canyon.
 Post Number: 14
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you end up anywhere near Page, AZ definitely hit up Buckskin Gulch!  Buckskin Gulch/The Wave

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another first, first time using free wifi !

Arches was beautiful. We spend all day yesterday exploring, lingering there until well past sunset .

Can't post any photos until I get home and my computer. All I have is a little netbook here.

Heading to the Grand Canyon in a couple of minutes.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just got home tonight. Thank you for all of the advise, we needed 4-5 more days just to fit in all of the options so we'll just have to plan on visiting my mother more often.

I'm still downloading the 32 GB's of RAW's from my camera.

This is one of the first images on the first card.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 18
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Island in the Sky - Thanksgiving

Long Valley

Murphy Hogback

Murphy Trail

Not Impressed
17 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 10:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Arches NP/ Grand Canyon, etc on the fly
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions