2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help with 2 nights in Canyonlands, backpacking suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DDinboston Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help on a trip I'm organizing with some friends.  We're looking to hit Canyonlands and Arches.  We'd like to backpack 2 nights in Canyonlands and make sure we hit the highlights.  I know of Chesler Park, Needles, etc., but looking for some route help or suggestions on where to camp.  We're experienced backpackers and usually do @ 10 miles/day.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know about dissappearing water sources, etc., right? What time of year are you going?

Check this route:

http://www.utahtrails.com/Backcountry%20pages/Chesler.html.

I have dayhiked and backpacked here. Personally I enjoyed dayhiking more. Great area whatever you do.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The time of year is important.
If you're looking at March/April next year I'd get on the phone to the NPS backcountry office here in Moab right now and find out what they've got available, especially in the Needles canyons area. Spring breakers book and fill the backcountry campsites months in advance.
After it gets hotter it's easier to have your pick of sites but there's probably going to be less water - if any, some years.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 4
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need to check the NPS Canyonlands website. They have a calendar showing designated backpacking camp sites for the Needles. Island in the Sky and the Maze backpacking permits are by zone only.

You just need to review the backcountry map and plan your hike. In the Needles the choices are pretty obvious. Chesler Park, Druid Arch, Salt Creek , Squaw Canyon/Lost Canyon Combo or Lower Red Lake (Colorado River).

Island in the Sky is very close to Arches. You might consider  Alcove Spring down to the Green River and return via Syncline Trail for a nice combination of rim to river with Moses, Zeus and Upheaval Dome thrown in.  

Get on the website, print a couple of forms and design a couple of trips. And as previously mentioned, get it done. Tiime is of the essence, especially for the Needles/Chesler Park. Have my permit for our family Canyonlands backpack during spring break in hand.
 Post Number: 5
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi DD.  I'm also in Boston, and I have an almost identical picture of me at the Torres.  Chessler can be done as a pretty nice day hike.  Going in to Salt Creek is fun - as I recall, that's where the All American Man is.  

Is there any way you can do 3 days?  One of the fun things about the SW is exploring - hiking in, then setting up a camp and taking a full day to explore without the burden of a full pack.
 Post Number: 6
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One other thing - make sure you know what kind of car you need to get into various places.  When we went in to Salt Creek we went through mamouth deep puddles.  Another time over near the Maze (I think that's where it was) we went over rather uneven rock.  In both instances we were glad we didn't have a standard car.
 Post Number: 7
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ixnay the car unless it is high clearance four-wheel drive with stainless steel sidewall tires minimum.
 Post Number: 8
leftyqb6 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've only been to Canyonlands once, so can't speak as to what the overall highlights are. From what I've seen, you really can't go wrong anywhere in the Needles. My trip we basecamped at Elephant Canyon (EC1) with a dayhike to Druid Arch on the first day, then the second day we did the Joint trail before I broke off for a solo hike to the river via Lower Red Lake Canyon. What happened on that overnight is another story...but the scenery was great.
This is just my suggestion if you're willing to figure out the transpo issues of a point-to-point: Hike in from the Spring Canyon trailhead and spend the first night in Cyclone Canyon right at the Lower Red Lake trail junction (with a side hike to Confluence Overlook). On the second day, do the eight-mile down-and-back to the river to go swimming and fill every water receptacle you have, then throw full packs on and head for the DP1 campsite if you can get the permit. On the third day, hike out via the Joint to Elephant Canyon trailhead (if you're feeling especially froggy, drop packs in Elephant Canyon for the out-and-back to Druid Arch, something like five miles roundtrip), then back to Moab for beers.
This way, you never have to carry more than one night's water on your back. Good luck and enjoy the trip!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the advice guys.  We have set the date for early October.  After some research, we'll likely be heading into Chesler Park (CP 5 I hear is a great site), and do dayhikes from there.  That way we don't have to lug around all our water/gear every where.  Druid Arch, Joint Trail will certainly be on the agenda, and possibly more depending on mileage.  

Let me know if you have any other thoughts based on this additional info.  Thanks again!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oct, is the best time to hike around here. Not nearly as many tourists and the weather is perfect. You will probably find water in the canyons at that time of year.
I'd consider moving to another camp for one night. Camping in one of the canyons is completely different from Chesler Park.
Just a thought. Have a great time.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 11
leftyqb6 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like crookedknife's suggestion. Also, if you're like me and enjoy non-technical scrambling, allow some time for climbing to the rim of the canyon around Druid Arch.
Sounds like you're in great shape. Enjoy the trip!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the advice Crooked/Lefty.  We may do our 2nd night at a different site now.  Any recommendations of campsites in the canyons?  Squaw, Elephant or Lost Hiker?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Elephant Canyon.
EC-2 is probably the most scenic campsite in the Needles. It's near Chesler Park and puts you in a good place to dayhike to Druid Arch.

--------------
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 14
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nilsy @ Dec. 14 2012, 2:55 pm)
One other thing - make sure you know what kind of car you need to get into various places.  When we went in to Salt Creek we went through mamouth deep puddles.  Another time over near the Maze (I think that's where it was) we went over rather uneven rock.  In both instances we were glad we didn't have a standard car.

??? you can get to the needles section wtih any type of car, its a paved main road.  Poster isnt going to the maze or lower salt creek

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 15
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crookedknife @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:56 pm)
Elephant Canyon.
EC-2 is probably the most scenic campsite in the Needles. It's near Chesler Park and puts you in a good place to dayhike to Druid Arch.

agreed, although I never though about it until now.

All the chestler park sites have awesome sunset views.  I would spend a night in chestler park, and then a night in elephant canyon.  I like the sites in lost canyon as well.

Peekaboo section of the needles is a must though

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
14 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 9:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help with 2 nights in Canyonlands
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions