2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Glacier Highline Trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mike from ohio Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to Glacier NP next summer with a group.  We are thinking of hiking the Highline Trail from Logan to Granite Park Chalet.  One of our group has acrophobia, particularly when it involves 'unprotected edges' (his description).  I am aware that the trail hugs a cliff and that there is a 'handrail' of sorts.  Whether he attempts this depends on the width of the trail and the distance of the cliff section.

What can you tell me?  Thanks in advance.

--------------
Preeminent scholars can obtain Tao in the battlefield.  Secondary scholars can obtain Tao in urban areas.  Lower scholars can obtain Tao only in the mountains.
Pao Piao Tse

I never met a wild thing sorry for itself.
D. H. Lawrence
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course, I don't have acrophobia but I've hiked the Highline Trail many times and it's pretty tame.  It has to be since it's probably the most popular tourist hiking trail of any length in the park.  The trail is quite wide and the drop offs are not that sheer.   What's more, if there is any hint of exporsure that could be be even the slightest bit dangerous, there are hand rails installed as you alluded to.  I really can't see it being a problem but I know how dihibilitating acrophobia can be so nothing is for sure.  I'd certainly encourage your friend to give it a try.  It's a beautiful hike.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always a little wary of exposure, but nothing as severe as acrophobia. I thought the Highline Trail was okay (the grizzly bear with two cubs was more disconcerting than any drop offs :p). The trail was wide in good condition and I never felt unsafe.  Here's a few pictures that show some of the sections of trail that hug the cliffs:

Highline Trail beginning

Highline Trail after Haystack Butte
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
mike from ohio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the advice.  It's helpful.

--------------
Preeminent scholars can obtain Tao in the battlefield.  Secondary scholars can obtain Tao in urban areas.  Lower scholars can obtain Tao only in the mountains.
Pao Piao Tse

I never met a wild thing sorry for itself.
D. H. Lawrence
 Post Number: 5
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do hike the Highline Trail make sure you take the Garden Wall side trail up to a view over Upper Grinnell Lake, Grinnell Lake, Lake Josephine, Swiftcurrent Lake, and the Many Glacier region.  The view from this vantage is SPECTACULAR.
 Post Number: 6
Xavier Jeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike - FWIW, the trail doesn't bother me at all either, but my wife absolutely hates it. She does have a fear of heights, but she's "tolerated" the cliff section on 3 occasions now. She holds onto the handrails and basically stares at the wall - looking out towards the open space tends to freak her out.  I guess knowing the stunning beauty of the rest of the hike gives her the motivation to "subdue" her fears...

--------------
Jeff
HikinginGlacier.com
RockyMountainHikingTrails.com
 Post Number: 7
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldnt consider any part of this trail sketchy, other than early season when snow covered.  And the park usually has it closed then

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 8
medicmom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been researching Glacier for an upcoming trip this summer.  One of the things I ran across was the "Fantastic Four" hiking challenge which includes part of the Highline Trail.  I don't know how much time your group will have or if you plan on visiting Waterton Lakes, but it might be something to look into.  We are going to give it a shot.

http://www.experiencewaterton.com/Fantastic_4/Fantastic_4_main.html
 Post Number: 9
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing the Crypt Lake hike would be dumb if the OP's group has a member with acrophobia.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Jan. 20 2013, 1:18 pm)
I have been researching Glacier for an upcoming trip this summer.  One of the things I ran across was the "Fantastic Four" hiking challenge which includes part of the Highline Trail.  I don't know how much time your group will have or if you plan on visiting Waterton Lakes, but it might be something to look into.  We are going to give it a shot.

http://www.experiencewaterton.com/Fantastic_4/Fantastic_4_main.html

this is just some random website's made up challenge.  And there isnt anything challenging about those hikes, for the average hiker.  While all of these hikes are senic, it doesnt relate to the op question.  Perhaps you are trying to draw hits to your website?????

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I first read about the hiking challenge in a guide book put out by the American Hiking Society.  The book is Hiking Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks by Erik Molvar.  It says it is sponsored by Waterton Park Inns and Resorts.  

As for it being off topic, I mentioned it because when I look into certain trails or places to visit, I have often run across other fun things to do or places to see.  I thought, perhaps wrongly, that others might find it interesting.  I apologize if that is not the case.  I can assure you, however, that I have no connection to the website and am certainly did not have any motive other than sharing information.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Jan. 27 2013, 12:46 pm)
.  The book is Hiking Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks by Erik Molvar.

Pretty good guide book, actually.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Jan. 27 2013, 12:46 pm)
I first read about the hiking challenge in a guide book put out by the American Hiking Society.  The book is Hiking Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks by Erik Molvar.  It says it is sponsored by Waterton Park Inns and Resorts.  

As for it being off topic, I mentioned it because when I look into certain trails or places to visit, I have often run across other fun things to do or places to see.  I thought, perhaps wrongly, that others might find it interesting.  I apologize if that is not the case.  I can assure you, however, that I have no connection to the website and am certainly did not have any motive other than sharing information.

Sorry, I appologize, i misread your post and thought you were pushing a website.  Posting while drinking sometimes is not good.   Good luck on your trip to glacier, its an amazing place!

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Jan. 30 2013, 1:03 am)
Sorry, I appologize, i misread your post and thought you were pushing a website.  Posting while drinking sometimes is not good.   Good luck on your trip to glacier, its an amazing place!

Yeah, that drinking and posting will get you every time!  :-P  Thanks for the well wishes, we are very much looking forward to our trip.
13 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 9:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Glacier Highline Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions