2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Absaroka Trail Info, Seeking Help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SoftBand Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 5:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning a trip to the Yellowstone/Absaroka Wilderness this summer staying in the Gardiner area.  I am looking for a 2 night Absaroka trip, about 20-25 miles in length that goes into the Alpine.  One potential hike I found is starting at Bear Creek (64) , going up the drainage to trail 620 and then over to 14b and around the backside of Mt Ash.  Continuing down to Fawn Lake on 252 and then back to Jardine via 627.  I was looking at camping the first night at one on the unnamed lakes shortly after getting on trail 14b and the second night at Fawn lake.  I am looking for any information/comments/feedback or alternatives in the Absoraka (I am trying to start within 30 minutes of Gardiner due to family reasons - the Beartooths will be another trip).  I have found very little information on these areas besides the maps from Beartooth Publishing.  Are these trails used, easy to follow, are there campsites near these lakes, how scenic is it, do pack parties tend to use it, etc.?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am also planning a Yellowstone hiking trip, entering from Mill Creek (trail 106) to High Lake. Then we will loop around the High Lake trail to Sportsmen Trails, to Specimen Trail, back to High Lake and finally down to the trailhead.  With three kids, the plan is to take three nights for this adventure.  There is considerable more information on this itinerary - the challenge here appears to be getting the campsite reservations the nights I would like them.

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't get much of a response here do another thread with "Beartooth" in the title. I know the southern Absaroka quite well but have little experience up that way. If you make it to the Southern half of the GYE I'll give you some spectacular options with greater solitude.

Whatever you do have an awesome trip.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double post.  Sorry about that.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The hike you have planned for Yellowstone is a nice one and I'd encourage you to do it.  I don't think that campground reservations will be that problematic but it is a consideration.  The Absarokas, however, are another story.  They are heavily forested with few areas avbove timberline except for the high ridges and peaks.  You'll generally be in the trees and in the valley floors and will see lots of, well, trees.  Trails are generally easy to follow especailly in the park.  In the Absarokas, they may be faint in meadows and over ridges, but I've never had a problem.  Bring a GPS and map and compass by all means.   Another factor to consider is that both hikes are in prime bear habitat and that includes a significant grizzly population.  It is absolutely essential that you follow proper proceedures for camping in bear country. Make sure you know them. You probably won't even see one, but be assured that they are there. If you're lucky or unlucky, depending on your viewpoint, I guess, to see one, be extremely careful.

BTW, what time of year are you looking at? Any time before July may present snow problems at the higher elevations. 

If I can be of further help, just shoot me a P.M.

Have fun.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
3 replies since Jan. 17 2013, 5:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Absaroka Trail Info, Seeking Help
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions