2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite Glacier trail to backpack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Beaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 5:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been to Glacier once before. Car camped and day hiked.  

Want to go back this summer and backpack for about 5 or 6 days.  

Where are some of your favorite trails?  Would love to see pics and/or gpx files.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're going to do 5 or 6 nights in one shot your best bet is the loop from Swiftcurrent or attempt something from Bowman or Kintla Lake to Swftcurrent. Either are awesome. There's the Nyack, too, but I'd avoid this.  FAmiliarize yourself with the NFS GNP page lest you screw yourself out of a trip.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Beaux @ Jan. 16 2013, 5:08 pm)
Been to Glacier once before. Car camped and day hiked.  

Want to go back this summer and backpack for about 5 or 6 days.  

Where are some of your favorite trails?  Would love to see pics and/or gpx files.

All of them.  do a trip report search on this site, on google, and on http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=24

Where in the park have you hiked previously?  The first two routes Dorf suggested above are probably the 2 most dramatic backpack trips in the park, along with a few shorter routes like the Two Med loop and Gunsight pass.  Unless you want to get offtrail.  The Nyack isnt what you want, unless your looking to bag a few offtrail peaks and want to do some bushwacking at that.  The loop itself is a walk in the woods, with a bit of burn.

Unless your reserving your trip ahead of time, its a honest to god crapshoot to whats going to be available when you get there.  The more flexible your trip is, the better chance you have of getting a good trip.  Allow yourself 2/3 days before your trip starts, and you will be able to get a premier backpack trip.  You could spend the next 6 months researching and planning your trip, only to have it not available when you get there.  Flexibility is the key

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

actually this here is a better link   http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/index.php

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On of my favoritre hikes is Gunsight Pass. It can easily be done in one, two or three days but you can make it into a nice longer hike by incoporating side trips to Jackson Glacier and Linclon Lake and especially up to the Sperry Glacier Overlook via Commeau Pass.. One nice thing about the Gunsigt Pass is that you can take advantage of the Sperry Glacier Chalet along the way.  Even if you don't have reservations, you can get a nice hot lunch there.  In the northwest corner of the park a hike begining at Kintla Lake, crossing Boulder Pas and Brown's Pass and exiting via Bowman Lake TH is pretty spectacular.  Just remember, there are no bad hikes in Glacier.  Have fun.  It's a magic place.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the late reply.  

I have hiked Highline to Swiftcurrent, to Iceberg lake, to Grinnel Glacier, and Hidden Lake.  

I plan on working out a couple of plans and sending in my request for camp sites prior to April.  

I don't have a car so I was leaning more toward a loop, if I could work out transportation to one point and from another I would be more inclined to do a point to point hike.  That just makes it more difficult though.  

I have thought of making a really big loop including Gunsight Pass into the loop.  Maybe starting on Highline - going to Swiftcurrent, back south on Piegan Pass then Gunsight Pass to Lake McDonald Lodge.  Not exactly a pure loop, but close enough.

Other thing I was thinking about was :
Flattop mountain trail up to Goat Haunt then South on Stony Indian and Highline.  

Yall can give me your input on these and I will be looking at some of the other info you guys gave me.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Beaux @ Jan. 30 2013, 5:46 pm)
I have thought of making a really big loop including Gunsight Pass into the loop.  Maybe starting on Highline - going to Swiftcurrent, back south on Piegan Pass then Gunsight Pass to Lake McDonald Lodge.  Not exactly a pure loop, but close enough.

Nothing wrong with doing that.  Although start with piegan pass route.  I have often found one of the best ways of looping though the belly river part of the park is by starting from going to the sun road.  (A) start from the road and take piegan pass over to many glaceir.  A must hike anyways, and they will let you spend the first night of your trip at the many glacier campground.  From there you can head north either via ptarmigan tunnel or poia lake.  (B) Start from Lake McDonald, and hike up the gunsight route.  Keep in mind this is the harder way doing gunsight from this direction, quite a bit of up to the passes.  But, you can attach this to the piegan pass route over to many glacier, and go from there.  You can loop both of these trips back via either highline or flattop trails.  

A note about the flattop trail.  From fifty mountain to packers roost is almost all fireburn.  However, the views from the trail on top of flattop rival anything else trail wise in the park.  The highline section between fifty mountain and logan pass get a lot of attention.  But I personally choose to go via flattop.  You just have a full 360 degree view of mountains dominating the scene.  And there's wolves up there on flattop, pretty rare to see them in glacier.  But i dont recomend camping at the backcountry site on flattop.  It sucks.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Nyack is not a good choice for new folks seeking trail hikes, unless you value solitude and forest over views.

For mountaineers willing to put in some sweat equity tho I'd rate it highly. Pinchot Creek route (relatively easy ford of the river in August) has good elk trails, will get you to the Stimson/Pinchot saddle in a long day. Solitude? Pinchot's summit register hadn't been signed in 5 years when I saw it. (It's a non technical steep walk up on the south slope).

Approaching via Dawson and Cut Bank Pass also works, tho tends to be a two day approach march to the peaks, rather than the one day fording the river offers.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RobinHood, what sucks about camping at the backcountry site on flattop.  I'm just curious lol. After being in Glacier one time I am having a hard time imagining anything sucking to much.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Beaux @ Jan. 30 2013, 10:41 pm)
RobinHood, what sucks about camping at the backcountry site on flattop.  I'm just curious lol. After being in Glacier one time I am having a hard time imagining anything sucking to much.

The campsite is 100% fireburn.  So, there isnt one living tree in the campsite.  Everything is burnt.  The ground is all dirt, with ash everywhere.  Trees are all black.  I dont know why they have kept that site up.  Now, I havent camped there in maybe 4 or 5 years.  But not much could have changed.  Ive been by the campsite several times including this summer, and its all stilll the same.  

I dont know why they dont move the campsite to another location on the trail.  This last summer we camped offtrail (with permision) on the mountain, so you might talk to them about that at the ranger station.  There are unburned sections up there, its just that the designated site is like at ground zero from that fire

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info RobinHood.
10 replies since Jan. 16 2013, 5:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Favorite Glacier trail to backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions