2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Utah day hikes :: Total Votes:25
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Bryce Canyon 2  [8.00%]
Zion 12  [48.00%]
Canyonlands 6  [24.00%]
other 5  [20.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Utah day hikes, which National park?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
indians7 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 5:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm heading to Utah in June for 4-5 days of hiking.  Never been there before. I want to do day hikes 8-10 miles. Which National park should I go to?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I voted Canyonlands, but I'm definately biased.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 3
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Base yourself near Zion and plan a side trip to Bryce.  I loved Bryce, but it didn't seem to have as many trails and was easy cover a lot in a day.  I've only been through Canyonlands by raft, so I can't speak much to it, but from what I've heard it's a lot of 4WD access.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 4
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For day hikes I would say Zions has the most options.  Bryce is good however.  IMO Arches is much better than Canyonland for day hikes if you are in the Moab area.  Just be aware in any event that temps are starting to heat up by June at any of the lower elevations in Southern Utah. Bryce will be the coolest.

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 5
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zion not only has the most day-hikes, it has the best variety.  Slot canyons, waterfalls, overlooks, deserts, all can be found there.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are all good; I'd try to hit them all personally.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zion may have permit problems in certain canyons.  Canyonlands has narrows, spires, ruins, petroglyphs, solitude. (Maze, Horseshoe, doll house area to the river) Much past the 2nd week of June I'd go to Bryce or Zion.  Don't think I could spend 5 days in Bryce though.
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't believe noone has mentioned Capitol Reef. It's truly awesome with some truly special dayhiking.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best day hike - Utah - National Park - IMHO

(1) Capital Reef - Upper Muley Twist
 Post Number: 10
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, Capitol Reef well worth a mention.
 Post Number: 11
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For that matter ....... Escalante NM.  Coyote Gulch the most notable.  Could spend a week there easily doing day hikes.
 Post Number: 12
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For day hikes, Zion has 2 easy to get to:  Angel's Landing & Panarama Point, which overlooks Angel's Landing.  You could also walk up the narrows for about 5 miles, but June may be a bit early for that.  Bryce is nice for a long one day hike, but I agree that Arches has some neat hikes, Fiery Furnace for one, as well as numerous interconnecting trails to put together a long hike.  Canyonlands also has a lot of connecting trails to splice together a nice 8-10 miler also.
 Post Number: 13
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bryce is limited in its trails, so I wouldn't schedule a whole trip there.

Zion has some great options and the general Moab area has a lot to offer. Either would  make a great trip. If you stayed in Zion you could easily make a day trip to Bryce.

I also agree with Escalante that was mentioned and I would add on more, the Page area (although there are additional logistics involved for some of the hikes and the hikes aren't necessarily about the distance, it's more like exploring).  I haven't been to Capitol Reef yet, but hear it's an awesome place too.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They're all fantastic, but you have a companion or a family, and you like to center around the comforts and the energy of a town, go to Moab. Within an hour's drive there are literally thousands of world-class hikes and free camping, but once in a while it's nice to come in from the burning wind and sand to do a nice leisurely hot-tub, and sit on a bench in front of the Moab Diner, stoned, eating a banana split and watching all the rock-crawlers growling, snorting and parading by on Main St., often to loud screams and cheers from the sidewalkers. You don't get that out in the desert.

My tip: Buy the Moab I and II Bicycle Maps. They are also great hiking maps, and they'll take you to all kinds of beautiful hidden places.

Tip #2: There are scores of free scenic camping spots and incredible hikes out west of Moab in Kane Gulch. The road out there looks nasty, but it's totally passible by 2-wheel-drive, (despite the occasional creek crossings,) and the sunsets are magnificent...

You'll never want to go back to your office cube again...(Maybe you can get a job as a Forest Ranger out here.)
 Post Number: 15
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bryce sucks except for a day in the main hoodoos, isnt it fairylands or something?  Otherwise the rim trail isnt that great, except for the southern loop

Capital Reef is my favorite, but it might not be considered that scenic compared to the other parks.  Lots of options also, with different landscapes.  I personally love the colors here.  

Canyonlands is so big, 4 days wont cover it.  I really consider it 3 different sections.  The needles might get my vote for best section of National park hiking in Utah.

Zion is cool too.  Best part is running water in a lot of places, so long trips are possible.  There are so many dayhiking options in the main canyon.   Probably what your looking for.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:57 pm)
Best day hike - Utah - National Park - IMHO

(1) Capital Reef - Upper Muley Twist

Or Lower Muley Twist.  My personal favorite

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 17
alansanmateo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no one mentioned Kodachrome or The Wave

we just scored a permit for May 1 for The Wave

planning about ten days in the area, after driving in from SFBay Area

only day-hiking, though - we're towing a little camper for this trip

trying to come up with a cool route - so many places to see and experience

-Al
 Post Number: 18
Liling Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I certainly agree with all of them being good amazing. Not many voted for Bryce Canyon. Personally that place has the kind of exoticism I like. So I guess the annoying question would be what you like... but I doubt you can go wrong with these choices anyway :)

--------------
Travel Addict
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 19
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's nice about Capitol Reef is that it one of the few NP's where car camping is allowed practically anywhere. You DO NOT have to car camp in traditional designated Park Service campgrounds.
I also agree that Bryce is over-rated.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Feb. 26 2013, 11:30 am)
What's nice about Capitol Reef is that it one of the few NP's where car camping is allowed practically anywhere. You DO NOT have to car camp in traditional designated Park Service campgrounds.
I also agree that Bryce is over-rated.
Rics

Thats real cool, i didnt know that about the car camping.  I love the fact you can camp at large anywhere in the backcountry there, for free to.  Real easy to offtrail up in those cliffs, sweet, sweet places to camp, and you never see anybody.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

None of the above !

Arches NP and the rest of the Moab environments.

Day hiker central.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 22
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woops, sorry I didn't catch that sooner...June in the SW ? Are you kidding ?

Your brains will be melting out of your eye sockets from the heat !!!

Unless you're planning a pre dawn hike and back out by 8-9AM you'll roast to a cinder.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 23
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad that I am not the only one to prefer Capitol Reef.  It is my favorite of the 5 national parks.

For early June, though, I'd go with Bryce.  Due to its higher elevations, it will be more comfortable for hiking than the other parks, which could be quite hot already.

--------------
I love the mountains!
22 replies since Jan. 21 2013, 5:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Utah day hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions