2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yellowstone in April< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure what the weather conditions in Yellowstone will be like in mid to late April.  Will I be post holing on most of the trails?

Thanks!

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot depends on the spring snowfall and weather, but if it's anywhere close to a normal spring you can probably be assured of dealing with singnificant snowpack in the higher elevations.  At lower elevations you should be OK except for particlarly low lying areas, and there will quite a few of them, i.e. the Bechler, that snowmelt will make the area a virtually swamp of melt water.  Not pleasant hiking at all.  Actually, I find spring the least attractive time of the year to hike in the park due to the transition nature of the terrain.  Great time for viewing wildlife though.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wet and cold.  Roads may just be getting opened for the summer.  Usually to much snow/water to go many places besides the boardwalks till later in May.
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many of the roadways do not open until some time in May.

April is not a great time for backpacking. More often than not you'll need snowshoes or skiis. Up and down the Rockies April is generally too early.

The Grand Teton Park Road is closed in April. It's a wonderful time for this magical landscape. Grizzlies are pretty easy to see. If we have snowcover then skiis and a pulk could be awesome.

April is an awesome time for the Colorado Plateau. SE Utah is my third favorite place on Earth.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  I thought April may have been a little too early but just wasn't sure.  I might try SE Utah... we've been wanting to check out Zion and Bryce Canyon and all that area.

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you serious?

April is winter in the rocky mountain west, especially Yellowstone.

Just pretend it is January and be thankful if is not.
 Post Number: 7
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Jan. 23 2013, 9:53 am)
Are you serious?

April is winter in the rocky mountain west, especially Yellowstone.

Just pretend it is January and be thankful if is not.

Actually, January is winter in the rocky mountains.  April is much, much, much better.  Temps are a lot warmer, and there is so much more daylight.  Now if you are the type who likes those paved, maintained trails, with few challenges, then yes april is still winter.  But if you truly want adventure, april/may is one of the best times to hike during the year.  You still have solitude.  No mosquitos yet.  Easier to travel on the snow (and see above: warmer temps).  You also arent really hiking as much as you are route finding.   NO trails.  Its challenging, but not miserable like january. January sucks!!  Its way too below zero, and you sit there in the tent for 14 hours engulfed in your sleeping bag just to keep your body warm.  

April in Yellowstone is awesome!  But again, its not going to be trail hiking.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 8
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(stuthetraveler @ Jan. 22 2013, 10:21 am)
Not sure what the weather conditions in Yellowstone will be like in mid to late April.  Will I be post holing on most of the trails?

Thanks!

If your able to view my avatar picture, it shows me waste deep crossing a stream.  It was taken in the yellowtone backcountry the first week of may a few years back.  Most of that trip was snow covered, and involved route finding.  When the trail wasnt snowed over, it looked like this picture.  That stream im crossing wasnt on the map, and in july isnt more than a long step to cross.  Your not going to find many clean, cleared trails in yellowstone in April.  Any trails clear of snow usually will have lots of water on them.  Lots of water crossings everywhere.  And it will still be snowing.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every month in Yellowstone is awesome, but regardless of that, April is still very cold and wet, generally, as pointed out here.

Depends on what type of wilderness travel desired of course, but I call single digits to teens at night, still winter.
:D
8 replies since Jan. 22 2013, 10:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yellowstone in April
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions