2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yellowstone Expeditions, or not.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 5:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, I am in the beginning stages of planning a winter backcountry trip to Yellowstone. We aren't sure if we will CC ski and snowshoe while staying in our own tents/tarps, or just doing a 4 day trip after Christmas with Yellowstone Expeditions? Does anyone here have any experience with them or the backcountry of Yellowstone in the winter months? Where to go, where to stay, wildlife, etc....? With 2.2 million acres, I'm sure winter travel is better in certain areas of the park vs others depending on early snowpack.
I do know that their are no fires even in the winter in the BC and that we don't need to stay in designated sites unless of course we venture off into Lamar.
FYI: I'm an experienced Yellowstone BC traveler. This will however be my first Winter trip there. We have plenty of winter camping experience in the Midwest with temps as low as -22*

I look forward to your insight and responses.

KC

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of good backpacking in the park in the winter.  The major problem I see if you don't go with a regular guide service, will be access.  Only the northern road through the park is open to regular vehicles in the winter so if you're by yourself, the areas you can get to will be limited by that.  I would assume, but don't know for sure, the YE, would have access to snow macines tha tcould get you to other areas of the park.  Going to be cold.

Have fun.  Yellowstone in the winter is beautiful.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unless there was a big change I didn't hear about unless there's a ban you can have fires in much of the YNP backcountry in the summer in designated sites.

If you are going to comitt to Yellowstone and the Yurt Experience I HIGHLY suggest you NOT go right after Christmas or in January. Snow can be suspect, but most importantly it can be REALLY cold. Old Faitfull hit 50 below a winter or two ago. Not like the stuff I remember in the 70s but VERY cold, and that of course does not include Windchill. Until today we've been below zero every morningfor WAY too long. Yeah, it might be great, but both sides of the solstice are generally the coldest of the year. I'd say Fe. or March for YNP.

I'd suggest you maybe do a night or two with snowcoach to Old Faithfull and then stay here in Jackson. With the Park Road closed XC skiing is generally AWESOME without the whir of snowmobiles. And in terms of wildlife Antelope Flats have lots of Moose and Buffalo, and I've seen some wolves over the last month too. You can drive to Flagg Ranch and do the easy snowshoe to Polecat Hot Springs. Soaking there is FABULOUS. Snowshoeing 5.5 miles up to the Lookout on Huckleberry Mt. could be something really special. If you can ski 15 miles going up Granite Creek to the Falls and those hotsprings would be magical. They do sled dog rides there too.

Man I have to run right now. Call me.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 24 2013, 2:52 pm)
Unless there was a big change I didn't hear about unless there's a ban you can have fires in much of the YNP backcountry in the summer in designated sites.

I had the same thought but thought maybe someone knew something about camping and fires in the winter that I didn't know.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I talked with park services and they said their are no fires even in designated sites in the Winter. We are leaning toward using YE and staying in there Yurts. If we were to use them we also get to use their transportation service as part of the deal. The cost however is a bit steep. That's why I wanted to hear about other options. Something about being in Yellowstone around Christmas seems magical to me.
Polecat Hot Springs sounds nice. Is that where you park off Grassy Lake Rd. past Flagg Ranch and head North, cross the river and wala?? If so, I've been there and it was just that, wonderful.
DC I will give you a call soon. I will also be in the GYE as usual around Labor Day.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kcwins @ Jan. 24 2013, 5:20 pm)
I talked with park services and they said their are no fires even in designated sites in the Winter.

News to me.  Good to know.  I wonder why the restrictions.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that is good to know. Doesn't make much sense in my world.

You two would be great hiking partners. I will be doing some overnights this summer KC. Some special stuff.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 24 2013, 4:17 pm)

I had the same thought but thought maybe someone knew something about camping and fires in the winter that I didn't know.

Just to second that, KC is right.  Fires are not allowed in the yellowstone backcountry while in winter conditions.  Winter backpacking is completely different than regular backpacking rules.  Unless something has changed in the last few years, the same rule applies in Grand Teton NP.  No fires while winter backpacking.  Ive been told that if i could dig down and find a fire pit I could then have a fire.

I will also tell you that if you can find a place to actually have a fire, do it.  Absolutely no one is going to be there to stop you.  And your not going to burn anything down in winter.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kcwins @ Jan. 23 2013, 5:04 pm)
Greetings, I am in the beginning stages of planning a winter backcountry trip to Yellowstone. We aren't sure if we will CC ski and snowshoe while staying in our own tents/tarps, or just doing a 4 day trip after Christmas with Yellowstone Expeditions? Does anyone here have any experience with them or the backcountry of Yellowstone in the winter months? Where to go, where to stay, wildlife, etc....? With 2.2 million acres, I'm sure winter travel is better in certain areas of the park vs others depending on early snowpack.
I do know that their are no fires even in the winter in the BC and that we don't need to stay in designated sites unless of course we venture off into Lamar.
FYI: I'm an experienced Yellowstone BC traveler. This will however be my first Winter trip there. We have plenty of winter camping experience in the Midwest with temps as low as -22*

I look forward to your insight and responses.

KC

Just my 2 cents:

Christmas in yellowstone sounds awesome. Ive been trying (to no avail) to do this myself the last few christmases.  But I would stay in a shelter, whether its one of the lodges, or the yurts.  Otherwise, its just too freaking cold.  Im not familiar with yellowstone Expeditions, where do they have you sleeping?   I dont mean to come accross like im telling you not to do it, I just think its nuts.  And I live out here.  To start with, more than half your day is without sunlight.  Which means super cold temps, usually below zero.  If your tent camping (and without fires), thats absolutely miserable.  Even with a good tent and a warm bag, you still have to engulf yourself in your bag to stay warm.  I just find that boring from my own experience.  

I think late february/march is a much better time to tent camp.  Longer days, warmer temps!!  And you still have the same winter landscape.

Im heading into the bechler in a few weeks for a few days.  Filming the trip.  I can send you some of the videos if you want.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 10
NCThiker Search for posts by this member.
Bowmen Lake MNF

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are going to comitt to Yellowstone and the Yurt Experience I HIGHLY suggest you NOT go right after Christmas or in January. Snow can be suspect, but most importantly it can be REALLY cold. Old Faitfull hit 50 below a winter or two ago. Not like the stuff I remember in the 70s but VERY cold, and that of course does not include Windchill. Until today we've been below zero every morningfor WAY too long. Yeah, it might be great, but both sides of the solstice are generally the coldest of the year. I'd say Fe. or March for YNP.

I'd suggest you maybe do a night or two with snowcoach to Old Faithfull and then stay here in Jackson. With the Park Road closed XC skiing is generally AWESOME without the whir of snowmobiles. And in terms of wildlife Antelope Flats have lots of Moose and Buffalo, and I've seen some wolves over the last month too. You can drive to Flagg Ranch and do the easy snowshoe to Polecat Hot Springs. Soaking there is FABULOUS. Snowshoeing 5.5 miles up to the Lookout on Huckleberry Mt. could be something really special. If you can ski 15 miles going up Granite Creek to the Falls and those hotsprings would be magical. They do sled dog rides there too.

Man I have to run right now. Call me.

Cold temperatures at night won't be an issue as we'll be cozy in heated yurtlets. A person from Yellowstone Expeditions, told me that in 27 years she has never seen where they did not have enough snow to ski on. Yurt camp is near Canyon at 8,000 ft within a 1/2 mile of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. She did mention that there has been years past where they could drive to the camp with wheeled vehicles, but still stated, that there was enough snow to ski on. I guess you need to consider the source of the info as well, but I doubt the woman would lie to me ?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just came across an article in recent local magazine on Yellowstone Expeditions.  Very complimentary to them.  Looks like staying at and skiing out of the yurt would be great fun, but man, it ain't cheap.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
NCThiker Search for posts by this member.
Bowmen Lake MNF

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 20 2013, 2:24 pm)
Just came across an article in recent local magazine on Yellowstone Expeditions.  Very complimentary to them.  Looks like staying at and skiing out of the yurt would be great fun, but man, it ain't cheap.

This will be a bucket list, trip of a lifetime for me. Might be a one time trip, or become an annual thing? Not too pricy when you consider our surroundings, food included, transportation and use of a snowcoach.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should be a great time. Yellowstone is incredible in the winter.  Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

--------------
12 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 5:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yellowstone Expeditions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions