2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best Backpacking in the Rockies, looking for the best place to backpack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pjohns212 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple friends and I are looking to go backpacking out west in the rockies. We want to stay in America, and are looking for a place where it is mostly open range. We do not want to be stuck on a trail, and want to be far away from civilization. Also we strongly prefer not to see any other people while backpacking. We will be going around March 10th for a week. Anyone can help?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The plains of northeastern Montana will fit the bill. You might find the American Prairie Reserve particularly appealing. Google them.  Weather could be pretty cold and blustery.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The plains of northeastern Montana will fit the bill nicely, I think. You might find the American Prairie Reserve particularly appealing. Google them.  Weather could be pretty cold and blustery.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1132681
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Southern Utah...... Ernies Country or Maze area canyonlands.  Hayduke trail area.
Escalante area.  Dirty Devil or Escalante river.  I'd say Dark Canyon but may be hard to get into that early.
 Post Number: 6
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 2:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheyenne Wells.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The US isn't like many European countries. Most "open range" is privately owned or at least under lease and you can't just wander around on private land or cross it to get somewhere else and you can still be confronted by ranchers even on leased public lands.

You say you don't want to be restricted to trails but again, the US isn't like most European countries. You can easily hike on many trails in the mountain wilderness here and not see anyone else for weeks. And remote? Yeah, you get lost out here and there's a good chance your body will never be found.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SE Utah, Canyonlands and Cedar Mesa. You wouldn't be "hiking" the Alps in March, would you?

Paria Canyon
Kane Gulch
Grand Gulch

Also barring a strong El Nino April is awesome for SW NEw Mexico's Gila River. Middle Fork is one of the great backpacks of the West.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March weather can be gnarly but I would suggest:
(1)The "Arizona Trail" from south to north. (I know you're trying to avoid a trail but...)
(2) Cabeza Prieta National Wildlilfe Refuge south of Phoenix
(3) Kofa National Wildlife Refuge in western AZ.
(4) Southern Utah.
(5) New Mexico's Gila Wilderness
Rics
www.trekkerman.com

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 10
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This OP sounds like a hoax to me. Out west in the rockies in 'open range' Far from civilization around no people and in March?

To vague and general to warrant a serious answer in my view. Doesn't really make much sense, although many threads here do not.

Yeah, Eastern Montana or the Canyon Lands of Southern Utah, but that's not really the rockies, and Eastern Montana is mostly private land. The great basin of Nevada is as wide open as you can get and much public land, but any of these places should be miserable in March.

I'm afraid I don't get this one.
 Post Number: 11
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I kind of agree with Tamarac
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 12
Mountaintana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 25 2013, 4:27 pm)
The plains of northeastern Montana will fit the bill. You might find the American Prairie Reserve particularly appealing. Google them.  Weather could be pretty cold and blustery.

Jer, you had me going for a minute, I didnt know if you were joking or just wanted to save the good spots for yourself. I belive Hikerjer is directing you directly north of the CMR area, not quite what I view as being the plains of northwestern montana but beautiful regardless. I'm not familiar with the exact location of the American Prarie Reserve but just south of there and adjoining is Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Preserve. I know you will find this preserve to be wide open with much to see. This is the place I spend more time than anyother in montana. Rather than the high peaking mountains usually discussed on this forum, you will find the plains finley carved by the historic Missouri river(google it and Fort Benton). The terrain ranges from flat plains to deeply gouged cliffs. North to south, there isnt anywhere to go. Follow along within a half mile of the Missouri and you will see deer, elk and some of the largest big horn sheep in the U.S. Game birds are abundant and if you were traveling a month or so later your could experience the annual movement of the prehistoric paddle fish. The CMR is a truly unlike hiking any other hiking destination, it is nearly forgoten outside of the hunting season, you wont find a trail to follow and you most likely wont see another person.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mountaintana @ Feb. 02 2013, 12:17 am)

(hikerjer @ Jan. 25 2013, 4:27 pm)

Jer, you had me going for a minute, I didnt know if you were joking or just wanted to save the good spots for yourself. I belive Hikerjer is directing you directly north of the CMR area, not quite what I view as being the plains of northwestern montana but beautiful regardless. I'm not familiar with the exact location of the American Prarie Reserve but just south of there and adjoining is Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Preserve. I know you will find this preserve to be wide open with much to see. This is the place I spend more time than anyother in montana. Rather than the high peaking mountains usually discussed on this forum, you will find the plains finley carved by the historic Missouri river(google it and Fort Benton). The terrain ranges from flat plains to deeply gouged cliffs. North to south, there isnt anywhere to go. Follow along within a half mile of the Missouri and you will see deer, elk and some of the largest big horn sheep in the U.S. Game birds are abundant and if you were traveling a month or so later your could experience the annual movement of the prehistoric paddle fish. The CMR is a truly unlike hiking any other hiking destination, it is nearly forgoten outside of the hunting season, you wont find a trail to follow and you most likely wont see another person.

The American Prairie Reserve is located in northeast Montana in one of the most isolated areas of the state with much of it ajoining the northern boundry of the CMR Refuge.  I've never actually been to the Preserve, but have spent time in the CMR.  Have to agree with what you said. It's great area  that is so often overlooked.   Whether that's good or bad, I guess in the eyes of the beholder/hiker. Certainly worth investigation.  Heading up to the APR this Spring myself.

I'm a little confused on your reference to the plains of "northwestern " Montana since that area of the state is pretty much mountains and forests with the exception of small areas in the valleys.  They in no way compare with the incedibly wide open of spaces of the "Big Open" of eastern  Montana.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a little confused on your reference to the plains of "northwestern " Montana since that area of the state is pretty much mountains and forests with the exception of small areas in the valleys.

Some of those are plains. They just happen to be tilted on a 45° angle...

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well yes, all of Eastern Montana and even the Dakotas is great country, and I have traveled and hunted in much of it the last 30 years but.......what does this have to do with the OP, and looking for the best backpacking in the Rockies exactly?

Clarification. The 'Rockies' is not the same as 'the Rocky Mountain states'.

But as I stated above, I think the OP is a hoax.
 Post Number: 16
Mountaintana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 02 2013, 12:28 am)
I'm a little confused on your reference to the plains of "northwestern " Montana since that area of the state is pretty much mountains and forests with the exception of small areas in the valleys.  They in no way compare with the incedibly wide open of spaces of the "Big Open" of eastern  Montana.

I could see how your confused, It doesnt even make sense to me. Im not sure how I managed to start talking about the non-existent plains in Northwest Montana. I'll just shut up now.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mountaintana @ Feb. 03 2013, 12:27 am)

(hikerjer @ Feb. 02 2013, 12:28 am)

I could see how your confused, It doesnt even make sense to me. Im not sure how I managed to start talking about the non-existent plains in Northwest Montana. I'll just shut up now.

You're probably on the right track there. Maybe we should all take the hint.   Perhaps the OP was just looking for some unique hiking in the Rocky Mtn states, all of which have plenty of areas that are definitely not mountainous.  At any rate, it's all very confusing.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer,

You need to give up the coffee by 10 PM man.

Some Great "Praire/Plains" places include Colorado's Pawnee and Comanche National Grasslands.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 03 2013, 10:42 am)
Jer,

You need to give up the coffee by 10 PM man.

Probably by 3:00 p.m. :O

--------------
 Post Number: 20
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Jan. 29 2013, 1:54 pm)
This OP sounds like a hoax to me. Out west in the rockies in 'open range' Far from civilization around no people and in March?

To vague and general to warrant a serious answer in my view. Doesn't really make much sense, although many threads here do not.

Yeah, Eastern Montana or the Canyon Lands of Southern Utah, but that's not really the rockies, and Eastern Montana is mostly private land. The great basin of Nevada is as wide open as you can get and much public land, but any of these places should be miserable in March.

I'm afraid I don't get this one.

I concur.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think it's a hoax, just someone who doesn't have an inkling in regards to the weather and terrain in the mountains.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, the person who made the OP has not replied to any of the responses to his/her initial inquiry, so....seems like not a very authentic venture going on here.

Of course they could have just become embarrassed I suppose.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

How could anyone be embarrassed around this group? :D

--------------
22 replies since Jan. 25 2013, 3:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best Backpacking in the Rockies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions