2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: grand tetons & yellowstone, what to do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ries Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we will be spending 3 days (jun 1 -3) at the grand tetons & 6
    days at yellowstone (jun 4 - 9) - any suggestions for out of
    the ordinary things to do?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you backpacking, car camping, staying in a lodge or a combination of all the above?

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 3
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is just about the same trip we are doing, but we will be in Yellowstone on May 31 to June 5 and Tetons from 6-8.  We are bouncing around and staying a different place every two days.  We have smaller kids and are concentrating on day loops with the longest thing we have planned as Mt. Washburn.
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

R. Redog is right.

In 2011 Washburn would have been epic with the snow, and generally problematic that time of year on average. Forecast however might allow for it.

In GTNP think lower elevations for sure. Bradley and Taggart Lake, "Around the Block" from GT climbers Ranch is great. Bradley camping site should be OK. Hermitage Point well beyond Heron Pond and Swan Lake, one of the GREAT wildlife hikes, especially then. Signal Mt. should be good. You will probably be able to get a decent distance up the canyons as we tend to pack them a bit, but forget Paintbrush Divide, Mt. Hunt Divide, Hurricane, etc. Ampitheathre, Delta, Lake of the Crags, etc., will almost certainly have to much snow...unless you use shoes. Valley Trail, Moose Ponds, etc. can be great, lots of blackies on it that time of year.

In the Rockefeller Parkway Glade Creek might be a swamp, but if not DO IT. If Cascade Creek and Terrace Falls are good to go its awesome. Huckleberry Mt. likely a no go, and forget Sheffield Creek Campground that early unless you have a APC with feet of clearance. Of course we assume you have an appropriate vehicle for this country.

Granite Creek in the BTNF just south of Jackson is a WONDERFUL earlier season destination. The Dubois area has some great earlier season stuff.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure where you're coming from, but if it's at all on your way, try to drive the Beartooth Highway (U.S. 212) north-east of Yellowstone between Red Lodge and Cooke City, MT and then into or out of Yellowstone.  Absolutely fantastic drive. It should be open by your time frame although you'll probably be driving through 12 ft snowbanks on either side of the road. Some claim it's the the most spectacular drive in the country.  I wouldn't argue with them.

Have a great time in the parks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Beartooth highway is awesome, Charles Kuralt called it the most spectacular stretch of pavement we have.

Of course its no Togwotee though.

Reis, if you want help you need to participate and FOCUS for us. Otherwise have a great time.

--------------

Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 21 2013, 10:33 am)
Of course its no Togwotee though.

You're right there, DC but perhaps in a different way that you meant. :D

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, Beartooth is full of hippies and bikers. Not to mention those pesky bicycle nerds.

--------------

7 replies since Feb. 09 2013, 1:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply grand tetons & yellowstone
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions