2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Climbing Windom Question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
larrys Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben or anyone,

I am working out the logistics of doing the Elk Creek to Chicago Basin trip in late July.  If I am camped in the upper portion of the Chicago Basin, could someone give me a ballpark guess on how long it would take to summit and get back down to catch the last train of the day back to Durango?  I am in decent shape and have climbed a few 14ers.  Seems like I remember it took a few hours just to hike down to the train from Columbine Pass.  Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be tough to do in one day, but you could do it.  If you head up Windom VERY early, such as 2-3am you should be able to do it.  If it was me (42 in decent but not amazing shape), I would give myself 6-8 hours to summit and get back to camp.  The hike hout to the train is another 3-4 hours, but after summiting, maybe a little longer.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ben that is what I needed.
 Post Number: 4
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is very possible. I would check the smoke and cinders schedule for a round-trip from Silverton, might give you more daylight. I think your plan is good, but...I would toss a weather day in your plan a for mid-to-late July summit. If your not dead set on the 14ers I would suggest Jupiter Peak. Same views, with solitude from the Chi Basin multitude.
 Post Number: 5
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree that it is doable if your get a very early start. The hike down to the railhead from the Upper Chicago Basin is pretty quick and Windom is a fairly straightforward climb. As a lowlander in his early fifties, it would be too much for me though.

I did Windom when we spent a few days in the Chicago Basin in 2011. It was a fun climb. Multitudes is an apt description for the number of folks camping in the basin but it is a beautiful place. I definitely want to go back but I think the Winds are going to be our next mountain trip -not for a couple of years I'm afraid.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 6
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the train at Needleton to the summit of Windom is a 7000 ft. climb. Then back down by three...

Doable, but why not just camp at Chicago Basin the first night?

You've spent a lot of time and money just getting to this point...Just relax, spend two nights at Chicago Basin, and during the middle day, climb all three fourteeners, about 9-10 hrs.

I've done the races up to and down from Chicago Basin. Racing and backpacking don't mix.
 Post Number: 7
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walked from 550 and summitted the Chicago Basin peaks, 4-5 days all told if I remember accurately. That's the way to do it.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the help.  I am doing the loop hike from Elk Creek with my last days in the Chicago Basin then out to the train.  Decided to add a day in there just in case the weather gets me.  I plan on starting on Thursday, July 25th and climb Windom on Tuesday the 30th, then catch the train out on Wednesday.   No sense making it harder on myself than it will be anyway.
7 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 10:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Climbing Windom Question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions