2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rocky Mountain National Park Loop, Backpacking loop recommendations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Messiah62 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 12:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and 3 friends are looking for a good 5 day back packing trip in Rocky Mountain National Park over Memorial Day weekend, May 24-30. Two of us have experience and the other two have never backpacked before. We are all in good physical condition and are ages 23-26.

So far the only loop that look like might fit the bill is the Continental Divide Loop.
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1519196

Will this loop be too long for the duration of our trip? Are there other similar, yet shorter loops that would be good to do?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not the Comanche or Indian Peaks Wilderness? Why not any other number of places in Colorado?

RMNP
is more known for dayhiking than backpacking. Combine that with an incredibly busy extended weekend I HIGHLY suggest you think of getting at least 4 hours outside of Denver.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

End of May is pretty early for the high country

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1132681
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 15 2013, 3:32 pm)
Why not the Comanche or Indian Peaks Wilderness? Why not any other number of places in Colorado?

RMNP
is more known for dayhiking than backpacking. Combine that with an incredibly busy extended weekend I HIGHLY suggest you think of getting at least 4 hours outside of Denver.

I am from Nebraska. I'm really only familiar with the Colorado Springs area and the NP. I have been to Arches and that might be a possibility. I'll look into those place you mentioned.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, good catch LB. I missed the dates.

I'm a CC Grad and love South Central Colorado. The West slope of the Sangres south of Salida tends to melt out earlier than other mountain areas, and contains some of the most spectacular hiking there is.

Don't limit yourself to loops, especially that early. The most spectacular terrain is almost always an out and back. You may not crest the Sangres but you should be able to get to a decent elevation. I'd say go to the South Crestone Trailhead. If not much late winter/spring snow try to get to camp below willow Lake. I've done willow in May before, twice. One of the most spectacular places I've ever been. Then try South Crestone Lake. Even if you don't make it all the way to the lakes the lower ends of those trails are still VERY special.

Beyond that with those dates if its not too hot yet New Mexico's Santa Fe NF or Gila Wilderness might be your best bet for an extended trip.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk about options. Otherwise have a great trip.

--------------

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any good 3 day trips that a backpacker can take around Colorado Springs? Such as up Pikes Peak? We are fine with cold weather and snow.
 Post Number: 7
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a few shots taken over several Memorial Day weekend trips to RMNP in "average" conditions.

This year "might" be the year you could get by in late May/early June though. The South Platte river basin which includes RMNP and most of the N Front Range is 30% drier than our disastrous winter of last year, and is the driest spot in Colorado at this time.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outside of Lake George is the Ute Creek Trailhead. Look into Bison/McCurdy Mts. The Taryall Range melts out early too, beeen on top of Bison a couple of times in May.

--------------

Post Number: 9
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I go with double cabin...By far, the most spectacular early hiking in the Rockies is the west slope of the Sangres....

And for camping, I highly recomend Valley View Hot Springs, with big hot pools, a great clubhouse with kitchens for campers, and world-class sand volleyball courts...

Everybody will be naked of course, because this is Colorado's largest nudist resort. (Open to the public, Mon.-Thurs.)

Bring a towel for sitting on during the nightly sing-a-longs at the lodge, and, if you're shy walking around the camp naked, just carry a guitar like I do.
8 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 12:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rocky Mountain National Park Loop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions