2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Flattop Mnt vs Highline Trl Glacier NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Beaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:32 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am hiking to Kootenai Lake from Going to the Sun Road.

Below are the two routes I was thinking about. I would take one in and the other out.

Is one easier than the other?  

1) Granite Park to Highline Trail to Waterton Valley Trail to Kootenai Lake
2) Hikers Roost to Flattop Mountain Trail to Waterton Valley Trail to Kootenai Lake

I'm open for any pointers on either trail as well.

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since Granite Park is about 7-8 miles from the Sun road I assume you meant  Logan Pass. Start there.  Much better scenery and less elevation gain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dorfinator @ Feb. 22 2013, 4:25 pm)
Since Granite Park is about 7-8 miles from the Sun road I assume you meant  Logan Pass. Start there.  Much better scenery and less elevation gain

Exactly. Thanks for the correction.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dorfinator, or anyone else.  Do you suggest the extra 4 miles from Logan Pass on the Highline vs the climb up the Loop to Granite Park?
 Post Number: 5
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If your going to do both, start from Logan Pass, and come back via flattop mountain.  Then, hike up to the loop transit stop on the road, and take the shuttle back up to logan pass.  Best way to do it.  Less elevation climbed, and best views each way on those trails.  

To answer your last post, dont do the hike up from packers roost to granite, unless you just want a lot of climb.  No reason to do it

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, any specific reason your doing this route?  I think it would be much cooler to hike to Kooteney lakes starting at swiftcurrent, and making a longer, better loop via the belly river.  If you have the time of course

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Feb. 22 2013, 6:52 pm)
Also, any specific reason your doing this route?  I think it would be much cooler to hike to Kooteney lakes starting at swiftcurrent, and making a longer, better loop via the belly river.  If you have the time of course

I agree with you that it would be a better hike from Swiftcurrent but time just will not allow.  

I am flying into to Kalispell catching a shuttle to the park then park shuttle to the trail head.  So time is of the essence.

Any idea how popular the campsites are at Kootenai or Waterton River?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Beaux @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:07 pm)

(RobinHood @ Feb. 22 2013, 6:52 pm)

I agree with you that it would be a better hike from Swiftcurrent but time just will not allow.  

I am flying into to Kalispell catching a shuttle to the park then park shuttle to the trail head.  So time is of the essence.

Any idea how popular the campsites are at Kootenai or Waterton River?

Kootenai is possibly hard to get in summer.  Its popular, a nice site, and always moose in the lakes.

Waterton sites are easier to get.  I know there is a backcountry site there, but there is also the goat haunt shelters.  I stay there when i can.  Almost always open, its a concrete pad with a roof.  But there is a firepit covered awning  right on the lake, and great views from this spot.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

robinhood, thanks for the tip.   will look into that.
8 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 8:32 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Flattop Mnt vs Highline Trl Glacier NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions