2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 14ner Near Vail, Hiking Near Vail in July< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SPNKY Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, This is my first time to the Rocky Mtn Forum. I am going to be visiting a friend in Vail in July. I have done a lot of hiking/backpacking in the Pacific NW but not in Colorado.  We would like to hike a fourteener and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to what would be one to do in this general area. Any sugestions on a beautiful hike for two adventurers would be appreciated.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Painter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPNKY @ Feb. 22 2013, 6:57 pm)
Hi, This is my first time to the Rocky Mtn Forum. I am going to be visiting a friend in Vail in July. I have done a lot of hiking/backpacking in the Pacific NW but not in Colorado. We would like to hike a fourteener and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to what would be one to do in this general area. Any sugestions on a beautiful hike for two adventurers would be appreciated.

Quandary isn't too far from Vail and is a gorgeous hike. If you want an overnighter, Mt. Holy Cross is a good choice. They're both class 2 so not a lot of exposure or difficult climbing.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok thank you I will check them out!
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Vail, you're not far from Mt Elbert, the highest peak in CO, also an easy walk up.

But be warned though, the 14ner's in CO are an absolute zoo during the summer, with multi-hundred people all grid locked by the slower hikers ahead .

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 22 2013, 9:57 pm)
From Vail, you're not far from Mt Elbert, the highest peak in CO, also an easy walk up.

But be warned though, the 14ner's in CO are an absolute zoo during the summer, with multi-hundred people all grid locked by the slower hikers ahead .

Thank you. I have been so advised. Is mid-week hiking better that weekends. I'm not really looking for a parking lot experience.
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPNKY @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:03 pm)

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 22 2013, 9:57 pm)

Thank you. I have been so advised. Is mid-week hiking better that weekends. I'm not really looking for a parking lot experience.

Absolutely !!

Tue, Wed, Thur are usually your best choice.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p?
 Post Number: 7
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

During the week is usually pretty quiet. You will see a few people.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're not hung up on the 14K criterion and would prefer a bit of solitude, there are some absolutely beautiful hikes in the Gore Range, which is right in your back yard from Vail.

http://www.gorerange.info/
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 23 2013, 9:05 am)
If you're not hung up on the 14K criterion and would prefer a bit of solitude, there are some absolutely beautiful hikes in the Gore Range, which is right in your back yard from Vail.

Ok thanks again for all this good information. I really appreciate it.
 Post Number: 10
slayerfish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 23 2013, 9:05 am)

Exactly.  Hiking here in CO since 1971.  Never done a 14er. Ive done MANY 13,700-13,800 peaks and RARELY see another soul.Just as good a view and no crowds. Quiet also-
9 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 6:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 14ner Near Vail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions